Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2007, 23:18   #16
God Member

Re: Slave Labour and us!

Come on BB we all know the education has been taken to these countries plus the free condoms, they just won't use them.
Old 19-11-2007, 23:29   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

is slave labour publicity going to stop the majority buying these goods? is it hell as like, not very palatable but true.
Old 19-11-2007, 23:31   #18
Give, give, give member

It's a whole strata of the British high street that is using cheap labour in order to give us relatively cheap priced clothing.

Even supposed ethically aware stores like Gap, have been using child labour, though they now say they've stopped...after being uncovered.

If we want children's school uniforms for under a fiver, someone has to pay for it. Sadly in some cases it's a child working in poverty.

It's economics at it's purest form. Supply and demand, and will only be changed if the demand for low cost clothing ceases.

War On Want : General Press Releases : Bhs, Peacocks, Matalan ‘shamed’ on sweatshops

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 23:32   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Really don't think we can do anything about the sweat shops until the leaders of the countries involved sort it out. As long as they let kids work there is little we can do about it!!
Sorry Bernie , have to disagree with you on this , its not the fault of '3rd world leaders who are responsible for the exploitation , I my opinion the folks responsible are the sleezeball political leaders of the 'western' world who create markets and who allow cheap imports into the country in the first place at the expense of local industries and workers, lowering the standard of living down of thier own constituancys, (another time and place these folks would have been put on trial and punished for economic sabotage ).
Its all well and good thinking that by buying cheap imports we are helping raise living standards in poorer countries , but I prefer to think it is more akin to what is happening in local schools where instead of the class morons being raised to the level of the brightest kids the brightest kids are being dumbed down to the level of the class morons....that way the PC correct politicians can say we are all equal and on a level playing field .....
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 23:37   #20

Quote:
Come on BB we all know the education has been taken to these countries plus the free condoms, they just won't use them.
Well it certainly should have been taken to these countries, theres been enough aide sent, yer spot on Bernie. Billions of pounds in aid sent. They say that lots of the cash is creamed of by the leaders of such countries ( bet some is creamed off here before it ever reaches them )

Whether they have many children is not the issue. A family anywhere cannot become a target for abuse of anykind on the basis that they dont know how to use contraception. I know you are not suggesting that Bernie, just trying to see whereby if they dont use contraception, then its ok for them to be abused
Old 19-11-2007, 23:42   #21
God Member

I take all your points on board Steeljack and Bonnyboy but these things are going on and there is nothing we can do short of walking about in the buff because it seems most of our high street stores are using the same methods. If you have any other ideas they will be welcome but I for one need my clothes!!!
Old 19-11-2007, 23:48   #22
God Member

Quote:
If you have any other ideas they will be welcome but I for one need my clothes!!!
I suppose Accy-web and the internet should take some of the blame , at one time instead of wasting time on here you would have spending your time being creative, knitting and crocheting
Old 19-11-2007, 23:53   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I suppose Accy-web and the internet should take some of the blame , at one time instead of wasting time on here you would have spending your time being creative, knitting and crocheting
Now you are joking, me knit or crochet
Old 19-11-2007, 23:55   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Now that was Slave Labour.
Old 19-11-2007, 23:55   #25

Quote:
I take all your points on board Steeljack and Bonnyboy but these things are going on and there is nothing we can do short of walking about in the buff because it seems most of our high street stores are using the same methods. If you have any other ideas they will be welcome but I for one need my clothes!!!
Bernie, I asked the question in order to guage why there was what I see as an apparent complaicency on the topic. How it can be solved I dont know anymore than you.
Old 19-11-2007, 23:58   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Bernie, I asked the question in order to guage why there was what I see as an apparent complaicency on the topic.
its cos deep down, most dont give a monkeys, ohh we will all bitch about it, but thats where it ends.
Old 19-11-2007, 23:59   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Bernie, I asked the question in order to guage why there was what I see as an apparent complaicency on the topic. How it can be solved I dont know anymore than you.
Okay I'll butt out!!
Old 20-11-2007, 00:01   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its cos deep down, most dont give a monkeys, ohh we will all bitch about it, but thats where it ends.
I would have said we have our own worries
Old 20-11-2007, 00:01   #29
God Member

Quote:
I would have said we have our own worries

Last edited by BERNADETTE; 20-11-2007 at 00:03. Reason: Double Post please delete
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 00:02   #30
God Member

Quote:
Now that was Slave Labour.
Nah , it would just mean fewer posts about the high cost of school uniforms , knitting cardigans/ pullovers and clicking 4 needles to turn a sock heel would keep many a bored mother occupied

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..