Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 22:17   #46
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Kids have, in generalised terms, never really "wanted" to go to school. Go right back to Shakespeare's seven ages of man,
"The whining schoolboy, with his satchel and shining morning face, creeping like a snail unwillingly to school."
Nothing much has changed in 400 years except the discipline, both at school (where it's eroded by Human Rights) and particularly at home, that made sure previous generations went to school and behaved themselves.
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2008, 22:20   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good post west ender, sorry have to spread it around, nail on the head.
Old 03-07-2008, 22:30   #48
God Member

Well I agree with BB and to a point Jae swift on this. When My lot went to Rhyddings they hated it, mainly because of the reasons Jae came out with . (ie poor english speaking teachers, Teachers showing lack of enthusiasm)
I rem once pulling my son out of an RE lesson because of views I didnt agree with, and when the teacher asked me what she was expected to do with him I told her to give him a book and spend a bit of time teaching him about his own religion before confusing him on others. (Just one example of under enthusiastic teaching)

Yes the shop keeper were bang out of order and should be supporting the school. But so should the parents be co operating too. If these kids spend day after day looking at parents, teachers and all adults in general with an attidude of WHY BOTHER towards them , then they are bound to come back with some of the same.

On another note which i forgot to mention . Once we moved over here my 2 out of my 3 kids ended up with a 98% attendance and not really wanting to leave school, nor wanting a day off, The school were motivated with a brilliant head and hard working staff.

Last edited by cherokee; 03-07-2008 at 22:33.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:33   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I just don’t see why blame should be levelled at a shopkeeper plying their trade.

Seeing as probably quite a large amount of her trade comes from the scholars at Rhyddings,she has a responsibility to her business to see that she is not upsetting anyone by serving these kids after school starting time .. i.e. 8.40 a.m. by the way. I would like to think if my business, would have a word and give them a 'take out bag' for them to eat it at break time, then everyone is happy.

If parents cannot be bothered to make proper provision that their child arrives at the school at the appointed time is that the shopkeepers fault.

No, not her fault if they do not have good parental guidance, but at this stage are in a limbo situation, and as prominent member of society, should realise they do have some sort of responsiblity

If the teaching staff cannot come up with a curriculum that the children find exciting and challenging or put forth effective disciplinary measures is that the shopkeepers fault too.

Think this teacher was doing her best to put forth some sort of effective disciplinary measure here Bonnyboy. As to curriculum .. too global a statement. Excuse by pupil: "Well, my school does not offer me any challenges for my overactive and challenging brain" .. doh
Kids should want and enjoy going to school.
Children can only enjoy school, if they know the perimeters of behaviour and discipline, this makes for happy kids .. not setting their own levels on how far they can push it
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:44   #50
Senior Member+

I loved school!!I was not a big fan of science but my teacher (simon chapman...google him)made it really fun!! i was very active in extra curricular activities and did really well.....we respected our teachers and would lose our dinner break if we were late ( and you didnt mess with the teacher that did the dinner detentions...Mrs Foster was scary!)
we were given respect back....

maybe it was different for me because both my schools were catholic?

theres lots of simon chapman..... heres the link for the one i mean lovely man!!!

http://www.simonsjungle.co.uk/

we were rewarded with trips for trying hard and doing well and punished for breaking the rules....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012

Last edited by emamum; 03-07-2008 at 22:46.
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:51   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Sorry BB thought I new you better than that, don't think anybody is professing to be perfect. But to blantantly say you wound teachers up because it was fun shows a complete lack of respect. They have a hard enough job as it is
I don’t recall advocating any type of bad behaviour. Obviously it happens.

Every school will have it's idiots.
Old 03-07-2008, 22:51   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

The curriculum isn't down to the teachers.

Neither is discipline. Their hands are tied.
Of course discipline is the responsibility of the teachers during school time.

As far as the kids in the butty shop if they are not at school during school time then they are truant and can be dealt with as such - which is why you got your phone call when one of yours wasn't in school one morning as mentioned in one of your posts.
Old 03-07-2008, 22:53   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I told her to give him a book and spend a bit of time teaching him about his own religion before confusing him on others.
I don't agree with you on that. It is your job to teach your children about your religion. The school should teach kids about all religions so they can form an unbiased understanding of other peoples religion.
Old 03-07-2008, 22:56   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The curriculum isn't down to the teachers.

Neither is discipline. Their hands are tied.
The curriculum may not be down to the teachers. Part of a teachers job must be to impart their knowledge in an interesting , if not captivating manner.

What disciplininary measures have been taken away...only the ones that let them clout kids...the teachers must be trained to the extent that they can control the kids within the bounds of the law

Last edited by Bonnyboy; 03-07-2008 at 22:58. Reason: Sorry, hit post before I finished typing
Bonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:57   #55
Senior Member+

yeah but they also have to pack what the curriculum says they have to teach into the time they are given..........

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:59   #56
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
yeah but they also have to pack what the curriculum says they have to teach into the time they are given..........
Thats always been the case

well ok not always but since they brought out standardised exams
Old 03-07-2008, 23:04   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't agree with you on that. It is your job to teach your children about your religion. The school should teach kids about all religions so they can form an unbiased understanding of other peoples religion.

To a point I agree and normally I would sway from topics of religion , but this teacher barely knew much herself. I have always tried to educate mine on the way of our own church and religion, and I have no problem them being educated on others either, what did disturb me was what the teacher were asking of my son and other members of the class, which did end up in her being reported and diciplined BTW.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 23:05   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

there was good n bad teachers in every childs school life, its not about that really, its about Obeying School Rules n Respect fer adults.(Teachers) simple as that. whats wrong in schools should be addressed by parents, not kids blantantly disregarding time.
Old 03-07-2008, 23:06   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I don’t recall advocating any type of bad behaviour. Obviously it happens.

Every school will have it's idiots.
No maybe you didn't advocate bad behaviour but you did imply that we were all "perfect pupils" which none of us profess to have been!!! It is the just the blatant way in which it was admitted that teachers were wound up just for the fun of it that got me and you seemed to be condoning that by your comment. Sorry mate but am damn sure that you can see that is wrong!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 23:14   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Children can only enjoy school, if they know the perimeters of behaviour and discipline,

Those parameters are within the realms of the parent and teacher, not a shopkeeper

this makes for happy kids .. not setting their own levels on how far they can push it

Kids will always test a boundry, thats where the discipline comes in. Again, it is the duty of parent and teacher

Just the way I see it I suppose

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..