Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 19:47   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No need to feel sad, even the 100 for a pound ballpoint pens will receive redemption if the Lord of all that runs on paper is a loving and retractable God, for he will understand and forgive them their ways even if to prove their disbelief they let all their ink run over a brilliant white shirt pocket.

Otherwise he isn't very loving or forgiving is he?

He will give them the sort of refill they can cope with - but it might not be the sort that can write upside down and glow in the dark.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2008, 22:53   #32

I remember when i was at moorhead.. as part of the R.E lesson we was doing the "ritual" of praying to allah...

Instead of just reading about it in a book we actully did it.. Great as i can still remember it, all the steps and what not.

But they was no force to do it and i found it good but diffrent.. but to get a detetion for not doing it is what gets to me.. that teacher needs sacking and the whole R.E department needs looking into!
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 23:49   #33
Resident Waffler

Never had either of my girls tell me they had to do it. I must ask them tomorrow as I can't imagine they would have been willing participants.

Old 05-07-2008, 23:53   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just out of interest,who's the local M.P. down that way?
Old 06-07-2008, 00:03   #35
God Member

My kids went to Moorhead as did yours Willow and if I am not wrong so did Alec. I had no objection to them learning about all religions as I thought it might help them better understand peoples ways. Making or asking them to act things out is just going a little bit to far for my liking.
Old 06-07-2008, 00:06   #36
Resident Waffler

Yes Alec was there when Mimi was which is why it surprises me that he's been asked to do this but she's never mentioned that she was.

Old 06-07-2008, 00:10   #37
God Member

Let us know what Mimi says it would be interesting to hear, I would think she didn't see it as a big deal because it wasn't forced upon her.
Old 06-07-2008, 00:15   #38
Resident Waffler

I'll try to remember to ask them both about it tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:04   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'll try to remember to ask them both about it tomorrow.
We were in the same year but not same classes... Yea we did it for a lesson and it was good... the Asian students in the class demonstrated to us then we have a go...

I don’t think it is a bad thing to be asked even if you are Jewish/Christian or whatever... I’m a Christian and did not find it offensive or out as I know that I’m not preying to Allah but educating myself and I would imagine my 'god' would also see it as this.
IMO they is nothing like being shown how to do it then just reading about it... thats what i liked about it.

Last edited by AccyAlec; 06-07-2008 at 01:05. Reason: got html code all over my text
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:36   #40
Senior Member+

the islamaphobia and the racism of accyweb never fails to amaze me

everyone is quick to jump up on the theory what if it was the other way around

ARE YOU PEOPLE DUMB OR JUST PLAIN STUPID?!

what about the fact for the first 10 yrs of my school life i was sayin the lords prayer every morning?!

what about the fact that i'd been in church kneeling down head bowed sayin a prayer for easter???

when i was a kid i'd actually got the whole blessing by holy water cross on my forehead and the piece of something circle

yes this incident was outta of order IF it was as the mail reported it - and we all know about their reporting!

so how about half of u lot get ur heads outta ur asses and see what really happens instead of theorizing it on the net eh?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:45   #41
Senior Member+

AND *i thought i'd finished but i just got worked up again*

its not as if this was an actual prayer to allah. it certainly wasnt prayer time nor were they asked to wash themselves etc as in preparation for namaz.

from the sounds of it - they're doin a segment on educating about islam and the teachers decided to do a lil practical - two kids refused so she's reported them. the fact that it was an islamic based practical it makes headlines. would it have been this bad if they were made to carry out a mormon/jewish/hindu/sikh practice? no chance in hell.

i could carry on but i know its just going to be fruitless - the next time an ignorant incident happens and its all back to normal.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:50   #42
Loz

Trust me i'm not racist i resented doing any form of R.E.
Religion in general is something i can't relate to in any way.
And yes if it was the other way around and a muslim was forced to say the lords prayer there would have been an uproar and you know it.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:03   #43
Senior Member+

there are schools that still they say the lords prayer - where the uproar?

this is the classic case of the christmas lights and how they should say happy festive season just so that the muslims aint offended when not once has anyone ever complained.

of course if a muslim is FORCED to say the lords prayer then there would be - this was a school lesson practical. are they forced to do science experiments now too? or any other practical sessions?

this was a practical session and the kids refused to do as the rest of the class were doing. if they did that in a science class the result would still be the same.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:05   #44
Resident Waffler

Actually Mani I am quite appalled that anyone who is not of the Catholic faith should have holy water sprinkled on them and be expected to take Holy Communion (the circle wafer bit). I don't think that should be done either whatever the religion of those children. Did any non-Catholic children object to that?

I'm also quite shocked that Muslim children should be forced to say Christian prayers if those prayers are unacceptable to them. I know that Jehovah's Witness children can opt out of such things and school assemblies and Christmas celebrations because they don't do that in their religion.

Surely the school should respect all religious convictions and if a child does not wish to participate in something contrary or conflicting with their own beliefs then they should not be expected to do so, whoever they are and whatever those beliefs are.

A year group of children from the school where I am governor was invited to the mosque on Higher Antley Street. I was also invited and went along with them. We met some former pupils there who were learning to recite the Qu'ran and we were shown some of the written words and told how to say them. The whole experience was very educational and I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated it. At no time was it ever suggested that any of us should practice saying prayers though, and I would have felt not only uneasy about participating in something which wasn't my religion but also uneasy in doing something which might have demeaned a sacred act of another faith.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well but I hope you can see the difference between how I feel and the idea of Islamophobia.

A Muslim friend of mine once came into our church building in Rawtenstall which also houses other rooms as well as the chapel area used for worship. She had come to look at some research materials but I also gave her a tour of the building as she was curious about what it was like inside. She asked if she was the first Muslim ever to have been in there and giggled at the idea and wondered if we as a religion had any objection to that. Of course we don't and I was pleased to see that she had no worries about being there either although I had to admit she was the first (at that date) practicing Muslim I had ever known to go in there. Since then we have had open days at the chapel I now attend in Blackburn and we have had Muslim visitors come in for a look round.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 06-07-2008 at 07:07.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:45   #45
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Incidentally, I love it in situations like that this when people who don't go to church from one year to the next start protesting that "this is a Christian country". Oh, yeah, sure.
Why do you have to go to church to be a christian?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..