Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2008, 04:06   #16
God Member

Re: Pubs Under Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Last Orders in Blackburn should be renamed the Last Chance Saloon, seeing as so many of the regulars are banned in all other town centre pubs - no loss if that goes.
Now on a theoretical level if publicans were more responsible about who they serve I could see a good case for pubs being given tax subsidies as they are community facilities, but while they still serve under 18's and people that are already drunk that argument is not viable
Is it not desperation these days polly that determines who is served in pubs? I am sure that if some pubs were allowed to serve in a smokers bar, they might be more selective with the riff raff they allow in!
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2008, 10:05   #17
Resting in Peace

Can't remember the last time I had a drink in a pub, the last two pubs I used as a local were the Stop and Rest in Ossy and the Bridge Inn on Church Street when the present Mayoress was landlady so thats awhile ago. I just stick to the club these days and not too much of that lately
Old 30-07-2008, 10:14   #18
God Member

the last orders in Accy has all the same signs up as the last orders in Ossy and in Blackburn, i used to go in the one in Accy when it was the George, right up until that Murray person took over, it used to be a great night on a Saturday night when Mick Fenton used to do the karaoke
Old 30-07-2008, 15:24   #19
God Member

So its possibly Last Orders for the Last Orders then......?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 12:10   #20

Printers boarded up yesterday - 18 August. Has the same happened to Bees Knees and T' George?
Puffing Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 12:17   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

george or last orders, was open this morning when i drove past mate.
Old 19-08-2008, 13:05   #22
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Pubs Under Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
A BREWERY chain which owns a number of pubs in East Lancashire and employs 1,000 people in the North West is facing closure over an unpaid tax bill.
Cains Brewery, based in Liverpool, runs more than 100 pubs nationwide including The Last Orders in Blackburn, The Bee’s Knees in Accrington, The Last Orders in Nelson, The Brown Cow in Chatburn and The Printers in Oswaldtwistle.
HM Revenue and Customs has filed a petition for the company to be wound up because of money it claims they owe.
If a business owes tax and repeated requests for payment have been ignored then the HM Revenue and Customs were quite within their rights to file for the company to be wound up.

When a business of any size goes into liquidation the first call on any assets is by the HM Revenue and Customs.
Old 19-08-2008, 15:13   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
the last orders in Accy has all the same signs up as the last orders in Ossy and in Blackburn, i used to go in the one in Accy when it was the George, right up until that Murray person took over, it used to be a great night on a Saturday night when Mick Fenton used to do the karaoke
Mmm what is up with that Murray person ?

Caines are possibly going into receivership - it isnt especially likely that all of their pub chains will be shut down neither will it be aimed at certain ones
pubs that are making money would normally be sold on as a going concern - It is in the banks best interest to sell on a valid business rather than an empty shell.
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 18:34   #24
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Just got me thinking!, which is the nearest pub to me now?, i live nr the ossy mills!
Bay horse???................oh god, no thanks
Old 19-08-2008, 18:51   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Just got me thinking!, which is the nearest pub to me now?, i live nr the ossy mills!
Bay horse???................oh god, no thanks
ya not nearer "Lock Street" club Panther?
Old 19-08-2008, 18:54   #26
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya not nearer "Lock Street" club Panther?
oh bloodyhell yeh, i forgot about that one,
Old 19-08-2008, 19:58   #27

can anybody remember an instance of a publican being prosecuted for serving someone who was obviously drunk? or is the legislation just another load of garbage that we pay our MPs to pontificate about.
den.
den the menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 21:40   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by den the menace View Post
can anybody remember an instance of a publican being prosecuted for serving someone who was obviously drunk? or is the legislation just another load of garbage that we pay our MPs to pontificate about.
den.
well i got 1 foot in the grave den n never heard of one.
Old 19-08-2008, 21:47   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well i got 1 foot in the grave den n never heard of one.
Tell me of one pub that has not got one foot in the grave due to the smoking ban?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 21:50   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

When a business of any size goes into liquidation the first call on any assets is by the HM Revenue and Customs.
Just in administration at the moment Jambutty, and hoping to find a buyer for the brewery, however, hoped to continue trading .. not looking good though to see that The Printers is shut (for the time being ?).

Very rare that Administrators do not find a buyer.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..