Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 11:08   #1
God Member

displeased.

I've been sat in this morning waiting for a delivery of books. Only, I've been given a little red card to read instead.

Chapter one:
"Sorry, you were out" it read.
"No I bloody wasn't" I said.
"Time: 11-15" it followed.
"Lying gits! If I heard this wafer of a thing coming through the letterbox I think I would've heard a knock" I said, rather vexed now.

Realising that I was now bellowing at a piece of card, I came on here to take out a little frustration. Equally pointless I know, but no one from Royal Mail is within punching distance.

I accept that it's a bit mirky and wet outside, and the Postie doesn't want to dally on the doorstep waiting for deaf aid Doris, but completely dismissing the actual knocking part of the delivery procedure isn't really on in my book.

First to be burned at the stake in my revolution: lying Posties.

Representative smiley for the MSN infested: .

Urgh.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2008, 11:11   #2
God Member

Re: displeased.

pmsfl, get on the phone to them and give the a right rollocking, i would
Old 06-08-2008, 11:16   #3

I've actually seen them pretending to knock on doors!
give 'em a ring. Give 'em a good shouting at!
Another thing they do is, knock and run! Especially if they know that there is an older person inside, so that by the time they older person has got to the door to answer the knock there is nobody there!! I can't stand people with that mentality.
Bonny x
bonny_tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49   #4
God Member

Quote:
Shakermaker I accept that it's a bit mirky and wet outside, and the Postie doesn't want to dally on the doorstep waiting for deaf aid Doris,
Can quite understand your frustration but was there any need to add a derogatory comment to it?? Your comment about others less fortunate does you no favours
Old 06-08-2008, 11:51   #5
God Member

I can understand how annoying that is especially when you've waited in, I would phone them and complain.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:58   #6

Oh I do love this rant - and im glad im not the only one with premature Victor Meldrew syndrome!!

My postie, when he can actually be arsed getting there before dinner time (I understand I'm lucky - someone at work tells me her postie doesnt turn up till after 2pm!) seems to go out of his way to scrunch my mail up as much as possible - I dont even have a spring loaded or draft protected letterbox - its just a normal swing open one.

I challenged him once on a day off when he made a flippant comment about my not being in normally - so I responded that yes, normally I am at work (like most people in the middle of the day) and in the absense of royal mail not sending their posties out at proper hours any more, would he like me to explain using small words and visual aids how to put an envelope through a letterbox without resorting to Origami for toddlers? I also pointed out that as the purpose of a postie was to, you know, deliver mail...that it might be beneficial in future that he actually put my perfectly normal sized CD's from Amazon through the letterbox rather than deciding that it was just too much effort and sticking a red card through in its place, though if he wanted to do that, id be happy to start a tally for my share of his sallary for all my trips to cantebury st.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10   #7
God Member

well at least the postie doesnt nick bank cards like the one up fern gore(actually top of willows lane) did a couple of years ago with my sisters bank card and several other peoples
Old 06-08-2008, 12:34   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I can understand how annoying that is especially when you've waited in, I would phone them and complain.
Three times I waited in for a repair man to call.

Three times he put a card through the door.
When I asked why he didn't ring the door bell he said it was in case I had a gas leak and a spark from the bell could blow him up!!!
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:46   #9
white rabbits

Weve had this done too, the first time it was before half past seven in the morning ,brought in a van , our post man dosent come until between 11 and 2 in the afternoon,
I HEARD A KNOCK AND BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE DOOR HE WAS GONE,card posted ,written out to say we were not in,,Is this what they call speed writing ?,,,Probably thinking we were still in bed,,,Fumming mad I was at the sorting office for nine oclock when it opened but the van haddent even arrived back...that was on a rainy day too
Old 06-08-2008, 12:50   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: displeased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I've been sat in this morning waiting for a delivery of books. Only, I've been given a little red card to read instead.

Chapter one:
"Sorry, you were out" it read.
"No I bloody wasn't" I said.
"Time: 11-15" it followed.
"Lying gits! If I heard this wafer of a thing coming through the letterbox I think I would've heard a knock" I said, rather vexed now.

Realising that I was now bellowing at a piece of card, I came on here to take out a little frustration. Equally pointless I know, but no one from Royal Mail is within punching distance.

I accept that it's a bit mirky and wet outside, and the Postie doesn't want to dally on the doorstep waiting for deaf aid Doris, but completely dismissing the actual knocking part of the delivery procedure isn't really on in my book.

First to be burned at the stake in my revolution: lying Posties.

Representative smiley for the MSN infested: .

Urgh.
The poor maligned Postie gets it in the neck again.

To those complaining about late deliveries, try to remember that someone on the Postie’s round has to be first and someone has to be last. And as I understand it the rounds are much larger than in previous years so it takes longer to complete.

Once upon a time a particular Postie would have a particular round and s/he got to know the people on his/her route. If my experience is anything to go by that no longer happens. I seem to get a different Postie every week. Sometimes the post arrives at around 10.00am and on other days it can be around noon. The main point here is that it arrives intact and for me when isn’t an issue.

Small parcels that can get pushed through the letterbox get pushed through the letterbox unless a signature is required.

Anything too large or requiring my autograph I get a knock on the door. Not being quite as sprightly on my feet as I would like, it takes time for me to get to my door. But I have never found the Postie gone and a card through the door except of course when I wasn’t actually in. However living in Darwen like I do, I suspect that most Posties know who is likely to be in and who isn’t and who is getting on a bit and in my case, the Postie will know by the absence of my car at the front door, whether I was in or not. And also, because my bedroom is at the front of the flat, the Postie will know if I am up or not by the curtains still being drawn closed or open. I have noticed that if my curtains are still drawn, the Postie knocks loud and long and waits for me to get up. His knock is much quieter when my curtains have been pulled back.

So basically I have no complaints about the postal service that I receive and I think that you are being unfair to tar them all with the same brush.
Old 06-08-2008, 13:17   #11

surely it would of been just as easy to knock than fill out the paper work to post.

oh i dont know how the royal mail people think....
Old 06-08-2008, 14:26   #12
God Member

Perhaps by making 2 trips they are securing their jobs.
A lot of mail is now e-mail

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 14:33   #13
Resting in Peace

Would have thought than an 'on-foot' postie would be only too pleased to get rid of the weight ... and not have to cart it back to the sorting office ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 14:34   #14
Senior Member+

If he took it with him in the first place........

that might be why they are disapearing so quickly

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 14:36   #15
God Member

probably wanted to get home and already had the card written ,my friend works for a housing association and often jokes about the feather he keeps in his van for knocking on doors so he can put a you wernt home card through the door and get away early

im sure he dosnt realy do it lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..