Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 22:22   #31
God Member

Re: Corner shop 'time capsule'

I used to go in there in the eighties similar reason to Lettie, also the lady who had it was quite old and it used to take her a minute or two to get into the shop, I think it was around 84 but I could be wrong. Also the stuff they are saying they found there I dont recall it stocking anything other than up to date stuff then although it was always very sparse.
Old 11-10-2008, 22:48   #32
Resident Waffler

It looks awfully clean inside on the video clip for somewhere which hasn't been touched for 25 years never mind the 40 they claim.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 22:54   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It looks awfully clean inside on the video clip for somewhere which hasn't been touched for 25 years never mind the 40 they claim.
Isn't dust only created by our shredding skin cells though Willow, so if nobody there, guess no dust.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 15:54   #34

The old couple are still with us but in homes my wife nursed them both at the day hospital at accy vic until they were placed in homes.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 16:06   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
we used to call the guy curly
The local kids used to call him Bowdy, because he was as bald as a coot and his surname was Boyd. The only time you saw him without his woolly hat was on Sunday morning when he attended mass at St.Joseph's church.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 20:31   #36
Senior Member+

I remember going into the shop for toffee and ice cream. It was kept in the 50s by a couple called Johnson, and Mr J was the mayor. I went in in the mid-90s and bought something old fashiioned like black and white mints I was served by an old lady. There was very little on the shelves The front door lacked paint and there was almost nowt in the windows.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 20:45   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The front door lacked paint and there was almost nowt in the windows.
See AB's photo

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 20:47   #38
Resident Waffler

It's an amazingly wonky looking front door too considering the doorway looks quite straight.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 22:14   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
See AB's photo
That picture of the door and the one in the Daily Mail backs up my theory that somebody was living in the property recently. The one in the Daily Mail shows one of those white bars that they tend to be put on old peoples houses to help them if they are unsteady on their feet. I'm 99% I saw the ambulance people helping an old gent out of the premises several months ago, although knowing how time flies it may have been as long as 12 months
Old 14-10-2008, 08:42   #40

Did Iron Brew originate in Accy,. didnt know that, so whats the story, thought it was Scottish, ya ken what ah mean Jammy ,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 09:15   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Yep there is something fishy about all this.
Old 14-10-2008, 09:36   #42
God Member

been past today and to be honest i'd rather have that wood door on than the one they have put on. anyone seen it? its a chocolate brown plastic thing
[i]Posted via Mobile Device[/]
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 00:12   #43

I remember it well through the 70-80`s. Last went in about 95 when living up Huncoat. Passed by many times and thought it was shut. One day I tried the door and it was open. Exactly as it always had been, nowt on shelf's and nobody there, then the old man just appeared from nowhere. Cant remember what I bought but he did put the change on the tray on the counter like he always used too. Seen the old man walking up burnley road at a brisk pace few times over the years since.
organicjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 11:39   #44

We alway's used to call it Boyds's. Used to go in all the time in the 70's because it was closer than Sheila's on the end of Queens Road. Always used to buy my Spangles there. They had very limited stock, the sweets that used to be on show where always empty packets. Beechnut chewing gum is one thing I remember. Amazed the place was never vandalised over the years.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 00:17   #45

Its about 15 years back that a old couple finaly closed this shop.I used to go in.The old fella used to pop up from below the counter when a customer entered.He and his wife always had wooly hats on the shop was always cold
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..