Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2008, 21:20   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Penalised For Being Retired

My renewal date for my car insurance was last week. I was happy with the renewal quote from the Post Office so I stayed with them.

All the documents came yesterday and I was checking the details when I saw they still had me down as employed by the government. Today I rang them to advise that I am no longer employed and have now retired, only to be told that I will have to pay an extra £9.50 a year. When I asked why, I was told they have to presume I will drive my car more! I pointed out that I now no longer do the 15 miles a day journey I used to so, as I worked 3 days a week, that's at least 2000 miles per year less.

I believe that now I am retired they must, automatically, be assuming that I have suddenly become a less competent driver and that annoys the hell out of me.
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2008, 21:38   #2

Re: Penalised For Being Retired

what sort of car do you drive and how much have they quoted you .
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 21:47   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if they would not take my word i drove it much less now, then if i was in yer position, i would look around, get a better quote n tell em to get stuffed, to me its tantamount to calling ya a liar. n i would be very annoyed.
Old 13-11-2008, 21:48   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

It's a Ford Fiesta and I pay £180 for fully comprehensive insurance (maximum no-claims bonus).
Old 13-11-2008, 21:51   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
It's a Ford Fiesta and I pay £180 for fully comprehensive insurance (maximum no-claims bonus).
try go compare west ender, just to see what they come up with, nowt lost.
Old 13-11-2008, 21:53   #6
God Member

I pay £117 fully comp on a Seat Arosa 1000cc
It is low because I do less than 2000miles a year
You will be able to get a better quote if you can state a low mileage.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 22:02   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm hoping to get a new Fiesta before Christmas so I'll be shopping around for the insurance. My present car is 6 years old and has a 1350 cc engine but I am down for only 5000 miles a year. I don't mind it being assumed I will still do the same mileage (though leisure rather than business) but I don't believe that's the reason for the increase. I am sure it's an "ageist" agenda - I am retired therefore I must be senile.
Old 13-11-2008, 22:26   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well i would mind, if i wasn't, seems margaret pays a lot less fer a european car, ok cc is less, but yours still seems high by comparison.
Old 13-11-2008, 22:28   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I'm hoping to get a new Fiesta before Christmas so I'll be shopping around for the insurance.
Did you know most of the new Fiesta diesels are £100 a year cheaper to tax than the petrol ones. Thats only £35 a year tax. And new prices are sometimes only £500 more for the diesel. They tend to have better resale values as well.
Old 13-11-2008, 22:38   #10
God Member

I pay £550 for my 2.9 V6 with all the trimmings like European breakdown cover.
I must be mad but I love my motor.
It owes me nothing.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 10:25   #11
Resting in Peace

Before my Dad died 5 years ago I sorted out his insurance for him, he did less than 1000 miles a year, he only used it for coming up to my gaff and shopping in Act. I tried to persuade him to stop driving but he was very stubborn, anyway the last time it was up for renewal I actually said that he should take out third party fire and theft, thinking it would save him money, it would have actually cost him more.
Old 14-11-2008, 13:22   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I pay £550 for my 2.9 V6 with all the trimmings like European breakdown cover.
I must be mad but I love my motor.
It owes me nothing.
Geesh thats dear!, I pay 350 aged 39 in a 250bhp volvo doing 30K/year

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 14:17   #13

I pay £244 per annum £100 excess, but claim to and do, less than 5000 miles a year.
On a 2000cc Mondeo Ghia X TDCi
Old 14-11-2008, 16:22   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I pay nothing, mainly due to the fact I'm on four other peoples insurance as an extra driver, three of whom get a reduction in their premium.

However the last time I needed to insure a car in my own name, I found I was past their time period of 2 years to allow my former accident free, no claims, driving to make any difference, they put me down as a new driver and wanted to charge triple the amount I used to pay making the vehicle worthless, if I hadn't scrapped it I possibly could still be driving it illegally, all because they put the premium beyond my reach!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 16:26   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

happened to me that Less years ago, was 2 months oer the 2 years, had been driving fer approx 14 yrs previously, no claims. was not a happy bunny, but needed a car at that time so had to tolerate it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..