Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2004, 05:34   #16
God Member

Re: How Patriotic?

I may be wrong here, so correct me if I am, but isn't it against the law to fly the Union flag for more than thirteen days in any one year?
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2004, 05:44   #17
God Member

I may be wrong here, correct me if I am, but isn't it against the law to fly the Union flag for more than thirteen days in any one year?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:03   #18
God Member

I'm not a vexillologist, Bob, but I've certainly never heard of any laws restricting the days/occaisions/places when the Union flag or St Georges X may/may not be flown. Some countries have pretty stict laws on it, but not ours. As far as I'm aware, we're free do do as we please. The only people who appear to believe there are laws on this thing are politically-correct zealots in your local town hall, funded of course, be me and you. If any of these characters should ever visit you or write to you telling you to desist from flying the flag, just tell 'em what to do.

But as far flying it in support of the footy team, don't make me laugh. The last time I saw those idiots line up before a game not one of them seemed able to sing the words of the National Anthem. I'll admit, that was a few years ago but I'm pretty sure I've not missed much (unless someone can tell me that the England football team have in fact won something). There are many occaisions when the flag can and should be flown...but please, don't waste your money or time in flying it for those toss pots.

Can someone wake me up when England are ejected from Euro 04? It's at end of the group stage, but I don't know what date.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:05   #19

Holland have never won a World Cup and are consistently disappointing in major tournaments - yet their fans are loyal and proud. The boys are the best we have and I for one will be cheering them on. Win, lose or draw I'll be proud that they've represented the country to the best of their abilities (if this is the case, as I'm sure it will be). Support is about backing thru thick and thin....otherwise one gets labelled a 'sunshine supporter' or 'glory-hunter'...and there is nothing worse than one of those.......
Old 07-06-2004, 13:10   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
Holland have never won a World Cup and are consistently disappointing in major tournaments - yet their fans are loyal and proud. The boys are the best we have and I for one will be cheering them on. Win, lose or draw I'll be proud that they've represented the country to the best of their abilities (if this is the case, as I'm sure it will be). Support is about backing thru thick and thin....otherwise one gets labelled a 'sunshine supporter' or 'glory-hunter'...and there is nothing worse than one of those.......
So you're sopporting Holland now, are you? You've seen the light - England really are a bunch of pathetic no-hopers.
Old 07-06-2004, 13:25   #21
God Member

Quote:
England really are a bunch of pathetic no-hopers.
You ******!!
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 13:32   #22
God Member

Oh Dear...but the facts speak for themselves, not the hype, which any silly sod can believe in....England have only once got beyond the group stage...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - that indicates they are going to do any better this time.

6-1 against Iceland..... Is that supposed to be impressive? Give me a break. Iceland has a population amounting to less than the regulars in the Stag taproom on a wet tuesday night. The score should have been double that, at least.

However, there's nowt wrong with being an optimist....sweet dreams!
Old 07-06-2004, 14:05   #23

We currently fly the Stars and Stripes outside our house. I would like to fly the Union Jack as well, but, in our neighbourhood, you are only allowed to fly the Stars and Stripes. I may put in an objection to this, pointing out that the flags are flying together in Iraq and Afganistan.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 14:38   #24
God Member

If they give you any nonsense, John, hit 'em with the violation of your constitutional rights..that takes presedence over State/County law...mind you, you should have your flag at half mast for the next 30 days, so I don't think it would be a good idea to do 'out till then.
Old 07-06-2004, 14:43   #25

It's not even County or State law. We live in a golf community which has a housing association and it's these little jumped up Hitlers who have decreed this!

JohnW
Old 07-06-2004, 15:35   #26

If you want to fly the flag, then do so. If it's not against the law then there is nothing they can do except moan about it.

Some places over here are stopping companies and people (Or trying to stop them) from flying the British or English flag as some people find it offensive. In my opinion, why come to Britain in the first place if your offended by everything? It's a small minority just trying to control everything which will result in extremist parties doing very well.

If enough people fly the flag and refuse to take them down, there's nothing they can do. There's supposed to be some kind of law (Paris Convention) where your only allowed to fly the flag at certain times. I'm sorry, but i'm English / British and proud, and will fly the flag all the time and no one will tell me otherwise.

In America, most services and people have the American flag flying, we should do the same here.
Old 07-06-2004, 15:43   #27
God Member

Hmmm, so much for the 'Special Relationship' then. Funny how many of these much vaunted aspirations don't stand up to close scrutiny. A bit like representational government and democracy.
Old 07-06-2004, 15:51   #28
God Member

Neal - I agree. Flying the flag for 365 days a year should be mandatory for every public institution - be a government building, a school or a hospital or whatever...if someone objects, then tough...if it receives public funding it flies the flag. I would also have every office and factory fly it....any workers object, dismiss 'em with no claims.

I simply object to it being brought out whenever there is a footy tournament to see it being hung and flown from any old place....if the flag means that much, then treat it with the reverence it deserves. As for mass displays of it from innumerable cars, vans, hanging from windows - do you think that will make any difference to the play of Englands finest 11 down in deepest Portugal...I doubt it somehow.
Old 07-06-2004, 16:03   #29
Roy
Administrator

Well my company fly the union jack every day, and they recieve no public funding. They always have flown the flag as far as I know, you can't see it as well now since they built the extension but it is still flown.

Quote:
I simply object to it being brought out whenever there is a footy tournament to see it being hung and flown from any old place....if the flag means that much, then treat it with the reverence it deserves.
What is wrong with that tealeaf? In this day and age with the way life is, it is nice to see the country come together, so why not for football?
The way you speak of the UK/government/councils why would you ever want to fly the flag? If people want to do it to support the football team then so be it, I don't see many other reasons these days to get excited about being english.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 16:18   #30

Well I hardly think it mars the special relationship. I believe it is not a snipe at the Brits, it's probably to stop certain other residents (say from middle eastern states) flying their flags outside their houses. I believe the special relationship is still strong. Probably stronger than any other two nations in the world. I like to think it is anyway, and I'm not generally one for rose coloured glasses.

JohnW

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..