Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2009, 20:21   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Recession List 2009!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

A situation I see only worsening when the new Tesco opens.

Some of this situation is down to the global financial crisis, and some of it is down to some lunatic planning desicions by the local powers that be.
The council should never have approved Planning Permission for this new Tesco .. as previously, would have thought the plans by Sainsburys opening into the Arndale Centre would have been a better bet.

'Course they are now deciding to open up the road in front of the Town Hall to allow better access to Tesco; probably part of the million pound 'bribe' !

Hyndburn news from the Lancashire Telegraph
/4077520.Plans_to_reopen_pedestrianised_Accrington_ street_to_traffic/

and exit from the new proposed square, where the old bus station will be shortly. I actually approve of the bus station moving to Crawshaw Street, and think the new square will be an asset to the town .. you have an opportunity to express your views on this:

Have your say on Square plans - News - Accrington Observer

Which lunatic planning decisions were you referring to Garinda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You can't see my stall from there either, which probably explains why I haven't had a royal visit from you yet
I think your advert may have put Garinda off Lancsdave ... probably thinks 'mug prints' will be a Dingles imprint on his face ... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2009, 20:27   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I think your advert may have put Garinda off Lancsdave ... probably thinks 'mug prints' will be a Dingles imprint on his face ... LOL.
It might be if he doesn't buy owt
Old 27-01-2009, 20:46   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It might be if he doesn't buy owt
Eeew hek ! Better give him some pocket money then.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 23:47   #79

why are tescos being blamed for the demise of accrington town center? lets face it, the town center has never moved with the times, we cant attract big name shops, b/burn and burnley town centers are only a short bus trip away and manchester is a £5 return ticket away.

the real damage was done when supermarkets branched out and sold clothes, books, electrical items etc etc. if they where only allowed to sell grocerys then maybe wardleworths would still be there, adams wouldnt have shut down and woolworths would be busy again.
Old 28-01-2009, 00:04   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
why are tescos being blamed for the demise of accrington town center? lets face it, the town center has never moved with the times, we cant attract big name shops, b/burn and burnley town centers are only a short bus trip away and manchester is a £5 return ticket away.

the real damage was done when supermarkets branched out and sold clothes, books, electrical items etc etc. if they where only allowed to sell grocerys then maybe wardleworths would still be there, adams wouldnt have shut down and woolworths would be busy again.
The whole point of H.B.C.'s decision to expand the Arndale and create more retail spaces, along with the decision to move the outdoor market/bus station, again to create even more retail units in Accrington, was supposedly to attract major chain multiples to the town.

An ill thought out planning concept, considering the number of existing shops Accrington already had at the time.

It's only two short years ago that the council leader was boasting in the press and listing the names of retailers that had moved to Accrington since the 'revamp' of the town centre.

I fear the list would be a lot shorter today.

The credit crunch may yet be the saving grace of our council, for there is now a handy excuse to blame others for our problems, and not the gross incompetence of those who really shouldn't be running a Tombola stall at a church fete, nevermind a borough's multi-million pound budget, and it's planning office.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 11:13   #81
Resting in Peace

Re: Shops closing in Accy

Already a thread on shop closures
Old 28-01-2009, 11:35   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Already a thread on shop closures
So you do read most all posts
.....there is a life beyond Accy Web......'but not as we know it, Spock'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 12:06   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So you do read most all posts
.....there is a life beyond Accy Web......'but not as we know it, Spock'
Shucks you caught me out again Margaret, beam me up Scotty
Old 28-01-2009, 19:13   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
One or more of the large mail order catalogue companies will fold
GUS, Littlewoods, Grattons etc.
This will be due to losses in revenue as more customers default on payments and their inability to match/undercut prices of goods for sale online

Bit nearer to this one coming true. Shop direct have announced 1250 job losses and Grattan recently announced 1300 job losses
Old 28-01-2009, 21:45   #85
God Member

is that the one acrooss from the oaklea
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 22:06   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The whole point of H.B.C.'s decision to expand the Arndale and create more retail spaces, along with the decision to move the outdoor market/bus station, again to create even more retail units in Accrington, was supposedly to attract major chain multiples to the town.

An ill thought out planning concept, considering the number of existing shops Accrington already had at the time.

It's only two short years ago that the council leader was boasting in the press and listing the names of retailers that had moved to Accrington since the 'revamp' of the town centre.

I fear the list would be a lot shorter today.

The credit crunch may yet be the saving grace of our council, for there is now a handy excuse to blame others for our problems, and not the gross incompetence of those who really shouldn't be running a Tombola stall at a church fete, nevermind a borough's multi-million pound budget, and it's planning office.
OK I accept all that.....what would be your planning concept?....we can all scoff at what has or should be done...give us your ideas of a bright future and if you in fact are capable of running a tombola stall?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 00:47   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
OK I accept all that.....what would be your planning concept?....we can all scoff at what has or should be done...give us your ideas of a bright future and if you in fact are capable of running a tombola stall?
I fear that unless you can afford my consultancy fees you'll have to remain in ignorance of my ideas.

I had a wonderful and very successful career, if you're at all interested, but I'm afraid that when hiring staff most of our councillors wouldn't even have had enough qualification or business experience to merit even a first interview.

Old 29-01-2009, 00:53   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
we can all scoff
Yes we can.

Just as we can praise, as I have done on this forum when the council have done something good.

Sadly H.B.C.'s performance lends itself more to the former, rather than the latter.

Again, as I've said many times before on here, the best borough I ever lived in was Tory run Wandsworth, the worst was loony left Lambeth.

Any criticism I make of our council is based purely on performance as I see it, and cost, and not because of any political bias.

Old 29-01-2009, 08:17   #89
God Member

Starbucks are to close 300 coffee shops
Old 29-01-2009, 08:27   #90
God Member

no, thats still Threashers isnt it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..