Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 10:23   #16
Senior Member+

Re: ITV Granada Reports. Parched Peas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Is this still there? We went to Preston the other week and the Pea and Spud Cart was'nt there anymore, they've been there for years and was looking forward to some. Was someone selling curries though!

I've known them as both Parched Peas and Black Peas...and not forgetting Pigeon Peas!! Lovely Lovely!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Yep hes still there been there as long as i can remember in fact im in town later might get some with the kids.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Is this still there? We went to Preston the other week and the Pea and Spud Cart was'nt there anymore, they've been there for years and was looking forward to some. Was someone selling curries though!

I've known them as both Parched Peas and Black Peas...and not forgetting Pigeon Peas!! Lovely Lovely!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Yes they are still on the Preston market but only of certain days
when we go over we normally get a bag of spuds with 2 little pats of butter and some parched peas great
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:49   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Pigeon Pears Taggy; used to get them from the pet shop when I was a lad, well you had to use something in your pea shooter
Ha Ha! Me too Jaysay, used to get em from the Pet Shop on Church Street, then loaded up wi our "ammo" used to catch the Bus to Blackburn and sit right at the back and "shoot" people with em when the Bus set off! Also up Blackburn Market Car Park was a good spot for firing at people, along with the lifts too!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO View Post
Yep hes still there been there as long as i can remember in fact im in town later might get some with the kids.
If you go, check which days he's on!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ha Ha! Me too Jaysay, used to get em from the Pet Shop on Church Street, then loaded up wi our "ammo" used to catch the Bus to Blackburn and sit right at the back and "shoot" people with em when the Bus set off! Also up Blackburn Market Car Park was a good spot for firing at people, along with the lifts too!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Used to go to the Palace Pictures In Rhyddings Street armed with pea stooters, can remember being turfed out on my ear more than once
Old 11-02-2009, 13:30   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
If you go, check which days he's on!

Best Regards - Taggy
Will do.
Old 10-04-2009, 21:52   #22

My daughter has just been to the fair in blackburn with her friends. I asked her to bring me some parched peas back. She said she would, infact she wrote the words parched peas on her hand so she wouldn't forget what they were called.

She came back home to tell me that she had asked at a few stalls but that they didn't sell parched peas, only black peas so she didn't get us any!!

Just goes to show that people call them different names, but that the different names are not associated with each other.

Oh, and to the person who gave me bad karma for calling them parched peas..............thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 21:55   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
used to get mine from the pet shop, were the "Music Box" now stands, anyone remember the name? i can't.
Old 10-04-2009, 22:06   #24

they was very good too
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:33   #25
Senior Member+

Ive got 2 bags of black peas in my fridge, waiting to be boiled up with an oxo cube.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50   #26
Resting in Peace

Remember back in the early 80s playing a pool match at the Castle on Whalley Road, and when it came to support Big Jack rolled out the Black Peas and bread and butter, different
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Remember back in the early 80s playing a pool match at the Castle on Whalley Road, and when it came to support Big Jack rolled out the Black Peas and bread and butter, different
Bet they were better than his curled up butties Jaysay!! He did occasionally do spud pie though!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03   #28
God Member

I remember going down the fair at the old accy buses carpark..i think it was only on once a year.. could have been easter..they sold cups of black peas and vinegar for pennies..loved em..and loved the motown they played on the "speedway".
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:28   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I remember going down the fair at the old accy buses carpark..i think it was only on once a year.. could have been easter..they sold cups of black peas and vinegar for pennies..loved em..and loved the motown they played on the "speedway".
nah mancie was just before easter, it moved to blackburn every easter, i worked the speedway, but that was "RoyCs" days.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:33   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nah mancie was just before easter, it moved to blackburn every easter, i worked the speedway, but that was "RoyCs" days.
was that the same fair that they had on some rough ground near Ewood Cashy?.. i think it must have been late 60's but could have been anywere in Blackburn.. my memory is all but booted!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..