Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2009, 11:37   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Anyone made a secret Freedom Of Info request about me ? Andrew?

Lets just put this into perspective.

1. I spend 99% of my time (deliberatly so) going forward and doing positive things. Eg I just spent hours getting successfully £114,000 Lottery funding for Peel Ward last week (with Bernard and Wendy).

I have had one invitee to Peel Ward already AND the upshot was "what the bloody hell is my councillor doing then!". I am not important. Let's stick to the issues.

2. I HAVE TO spend 1% of my time (reluctantly as Bagpuss who I know is not Labour - suggested) on issues like this. Andrew FOI 'd the Council for one reason.

Rather than back peddle to defend a slanted view that was unrepresentative which is what Andrew does I am happy to come clean and tell the truth up front.The 'mud slinging' accusations don't matter as they don't account for the 99% good work that I do.

The only thing that matters of course (if Hyndburn wants to be great)is The Truth. Burying one's head in the sand to these people will not achieve that.

Last edited by g jones; 13-02-2009 at 11:42.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2009, 11:48   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Andrew FOI 'd the Council for one reason.
What might that be? I did request information on all councillors. Including every single Conservative councillor.

Will you be making an apology to Mr Britcliffe for the inaccurate accusations in your original post that are tantamount to slander?
Old 13-02-2009, 11:50   #78
God Member

Who needs Eastenders when you can watch this

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 11:52   #79
Senior Member+

We have to deal woith the issue it won't simply go away by burying our heads.

Labour intends to rip up the constitution so we end the pettiness that exists. It will be if I have my way, ruthless in standards, the code of conduct, sanctions. Hopefully that should remove most of it.

However if we keep voting Tory, or keep voting Independent then there is no will or commitment on their part to change the status quo.

Labour Councillors simply ignoring the mud slinging does not work because some people will always believe to a degree the rubbish that is printed because there is no alternative view.

Last edited by g jones; 13-02-2009 at 11:55.
Old 13-02-2009, 11:53   #80
Senior Member+

That's not what information came to me. You have two returns. Mobile Phone and Conference 07/08?
Old 13-02-2009, 11:54   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Lets just put this into perspective.

1. I spend 99% of my time (deliberatly so) going forward and doing positive things. Eg I just spent hours getting successfully £114,000 Lottery funding for Peel Ward last week (with Bernard and Wendy).

I have had one invitee to Peel Ward already AND the upshot was "what the bloody hell is my councillor doing then!". I am not important. Let's stick to the issues.

2. I HAVE TO spend 1% of my time (reluctantly as Bagpuss who I know is not Labour - suggested) on issues like this. Andrew FOI 'd the Council for one reason.

Rather than back peddle to defend a slanted view that was unrepresentative which is what Andrew does I am happy to come clean and tell the truth up front.The 'mud slinging' accusations don't matter as they don't account for the 99% good work that I do.

The only thing that matters of course (if Hyndburn wants to be great)is The Truth. Burying one's head in the sand to these people will not achieve that.
I have never question the work that you do Graham, people don't become councillors just to sit on their hands and they certainly don't do it for the money that's for sure. That's why PB has represented St Andrews ward for 26 years and has never looked like loosing his seat, because, like you, he works hard for the people who elected him, you don't serve 26 years if you don't do the work
Old 13-02-2009, 11:59   #82
God Member

Quote:
That's not what information came to me. You have two returns. Mobile Phone and Conference 07/08?
What didn't come to you? You're not even supposed to know who requested the information. Are you saying that I didn't request it on all the councillors, or not? Again, I think you should apologise to Mr Britcliffe for the incorrect remarks posted about him.
Old 13-02-2009, 12:13   #83
God Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you "Thread of the YEAR!!!"

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 12:49   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

ere ere.
I for one will be voting for that
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 13:20   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Spot on,cashy knows.
Lol Cashy .... easy innit ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 13:23   #86

Can Jaysay or Andrew please answer this question please?

Why can residents of Hyndburn not ask questions at meetings of the Hyndburn Borough Council's Cabinet, unlike at the meetings of Cabinet at Blackburn with Darwen and Pendle Councils?
This is a link to Pendle's website
Pendle Borough Council - Speaking at Committee Meetings - How to have your say at Council Committee Meetings

Peter Britcliffe claims to be democratic. but he does not allow questions from residents and only allows questions (or comments) from non Conservative party members if he thinks the the opinions expressed will be in agreement with his own.

I appreciate that residents can speak at meetings of Area Council, but these meetings are regarded by many residents as 'talking shops' with all the decisions arrived at by the elected members prior tot he meeting.

Last edited by claytonender; 13-02-2009 at 13:26.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 13:33   #87
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I appreciate that residents can speak at meetings of Area Council, but these meetings are regarded by many residents as 'talking shops' with all the decisions arrived at by the elected members prior tot he meeting.
I don't agree with that. I have been to many of The Ossy ones and people sometimes ask questions at the meeting that are not pre answered. Most questions are asked first by post, email etc. This is a good idea as many questions can not be answered with research. A lot of questions tend to be asked about traffic and parking issues which need to be taken up with LCC.

I have also recentlyish seen a decision change from that planned after taking into account the discussion at the meeting.
Old 13-02-2009, 13:55   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

gotta to be well up there.
Old 13-02-2009, 14:04   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't agree with that. I have been to many of The Ossy ones and people sometimes ask questions at the meeting that are not pre answered. Most questions are asked first by post, email etc. This is a good idea as many questions can not be answered with research. A lot of questions tend to be asked about traffic and parking issues which need to be taken up with LCC.

I have also recentlyish seen a decision change from that planned after taking into account the discussion at the meeting.
Neil That's what area councils should be doing, the problem is in the council itself. There is no opportunity for councillors who not in the cabinet to ask questions on any subject, and that includes Tory councillors.

It is partly down to changes in local government, that replaced the old committee system with an all powerful cabinet. But has to be said that Peter has to take some of the blame. He just will not let any councillor speak or ask questions.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 14:18   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Even Andrewb's friends on Facebook are impressed that he knew which years to request information for.

That is really the key question. I would not have known which year to ask for and am councillor

I think is there is probably about 3 or 4 people who would have known. I know who my money is on.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..