Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2009, 15:33   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I'd rather this was in anything goes!

I would like to draw members attention to something that I and they may consider unwarranted censorship, as the title say's I would rather this was posted in anything goes but I really do consider it to be of high priority and very important information that should be shared with all of you.

To begin with as many of you know Roy the owner of accyweb is my son, unlike most of you I have many ways of getting in touch with him and letting him know if I consider something to be wrong,.

This is an advantage I don't use, I have always been an irritable member no matter who I am talking to.

The sad fact is I had two choices,

1/ get in touch with Roy and have this swept under the carpet.

or

2/ tell the other members.

I am choosing method number 2/.

I am sure Roy doesn't know this is going on, he hates the rules we already have and is dead set against most forms of censorship.

o.k. now to the problem.

Below is a link to a post I made,

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/679170-post12.html

If you would be so kind have a look at it, notice that it has been edited,

This line is what I am referring to:-
Quote:
Of course, while you were away things on accyweb can and have changed, obviously for the worse, because we no longer have your expertise and wisdom.
It is completely different to how it used to read,

my version was similar to this:-

Quote:
Of course, while you were away things on accyweb can and have changed, obviously for the worse, because we no longer have your expertise and wisdom as a moderator.
Can I ask, why would such a modification be made?

Anyone of us can search through the archives and find references to this member being a moderator at one time so I am not lying it is a statement of fact.

This is a genuine and truthful statement and has been modified to suit who?

It doesn't suit Roy, such censorship on a regular basis would bring the site into disrepute, it surely doesn't suit the actual member I was referring to because it is a fact of History, he was a moderator!

It doesn't suit the rest of the members because if this is happening to me,(and it's very easy to miss the edited by, at the bottom of a thread), how many more is this moderator effecting?

To adjust my posts because I use foul language, to delete a post because it's an absolute lie or insulting to another member, that is why we have moderation.

But please explain why, mentioning that someone is an ex mod, surely people have the right to know who they are dealing with, I don't think, kipax/K-P has anything to be ashamed of, so why have we got someone on staff prepared to hide things from other members.

If anyone else has since I've mentioned this found a similar experience, please P.M. me, I will ensure that sensible examples get directly to where they will be dealt with.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2009, 15:49   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: I'd rather this was in anything goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It doesn't suit the rest of the members because if this is happening to me,(and it's very easy to miss the edited by, at the bottom of a thread), how many more is this moderator effecting?
I might be wrong, I often am, but I think mod's can decide if they want to show they made an edit or not.
Old 14-02-2009, 15:53   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I might be wrong, I often am, but I think mod's can decide if they want to show they made an edit or not.
How very true, if detrimental to the site, insulting or an obvious lie, but could you Neil, see any reason for such a modification? I can't and as I say, if he does it to one how many more is he censoring?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 16:00   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if i'm reading this correct,the situation i mean, maybe he don't want some folk to know?
Old 14-02-2009, 16:02   #5
Resting in Peace

Seems a bit strange to me Less that any one should want to change that post, as you point out there was nothing controversial about it, although I have to say that I didn't know Roy was your son or K-P was a mod at one time, I must pay more attention I once had a post deleted but didn't know what for, but I think if this is being done the person concerned should at least get a MP or Email to explain why and by whom
Old 14-02-2009, 16:05   #6
Senior Member+

lol jaysay!!

i cant see any reason for the edit less, but will this post not be deleted when a mod comes on becasue it questions a mods decision?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 16:09   #7
God Member

I was censored once - yes once - not for foul language or abuse (well would I?)
It was for supplying names and nos from the phone book for an expat seeking lost relatives.
The (same) mod did send me an explanation at the time

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 16:15   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

which MP jaysay? greg pope is a member, but that would maybe compromise. sorry less couldn't resist.
Old 14-02-2009, 16:24   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How very true, if detrimental to the site, insulting or an obvious lie, but could you Neil, see any reason for such a modification? I can't and as I say, if he does it to one how many more is he censoring?
Being a good boy I would not comment about a mod's decision
Old 14-02-2009, 16:52   #10
God Member

If something of mine was censored edited removed etc I would like to know why. If I do not know why I could do the same again without realising. A pm saying why helps to avoid it in the future. Sometimes something might be taken out of context and lead to an eventual naughty corner visit.

Those who help keep the site in order have a hard job so a bit of info when we step over the line can help them as well as us.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 16:56   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
If something of mine was censored edited removed etc I would like to know why. If I do not know why I could do the same again without realising. A pm saying why helps to avoid it in the future. Sometimes something might be taken out of context and lead to an eventual naughty corner visit.

Those who help keep the site in order have a hard job so a bit of info when we step over the line can help them as well as us.
The reason why your posts were editedis that Jens got friends Spuggie
Old 14-02-2009, 17:02   #12
Give, give, give member

I'm too frightened to comment.

Though I didn't know it was supposed to be a secret as to who the moderators are. Their names are in bold black letters, to make it easy for us to contact them if we have a problem.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 17:11   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The reason why your posts were editedis that Jens got friends Spuggie

Have i now jaysay? Mick last time i did something threatened me with banning, Len - now got him wrapped round my little finger havent i Len? Now andrew would be quite happy to get rid of me seeing as im a different shade of red to him .......

as you may have gathered i hijacked spugs name as well .... hes going to have to change his password!!!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 17:14   #14
Senior Member+

i have been edited once, that i know of....and i deserved it

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 17:17   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

my memorys crap, so i can only assume i musta been at some point.

Tags
moderhaters, tantrums

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..