Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2009, 17:11   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Expenses, expenses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
sorry mate but I am absolutely your 'floating voter' I make my mind up based on what I believe is right for my community at teh time I'm voting and whats being offered.

I have no ingrained political standing that clouds my judgement and I will happily accept and support both sides based on who I believe is right.

That means I'm equally happy to challange Conservative views as much as I do Labour ( Cyfr will confirm that I do this with him on a regular basis.)
i challenge em both also, can honestly say i never ever voted conservative though, can you say the same about any party?
Old 26-02-2009, 17:12   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
One or two people may think differently but I consider myself an ordinary member of Joe Public. These threads come across as a personal vendetta, be interesting to see how ordinary I am if anybody else sees it that way
That issue does become a little blurred when you receive pm's telling you to stop mentioning his relationship with another member.

Was it sent by the son, or a moderator?

Since the relationship was first mentioned by them, it seems a little odd to want to turn the clock back, and pretend we don't know.

Openess is good, but I don't remember any other similar relationship declarations when little pals have suddenly appeared to back up other arguments, such as in the David Davis thread.

Those little pals have been as quiet as church mice since then.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 17:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That issue does become a little blurred when you receive pm's telling you to stop mentioning his relationship with another member.

Was it sent by the son, or a moderator?

Since the relationship was first mentioned by them, it seems a little odd to want to turn the clock back, and pretend we don't know.

Openess is good, but I don't remember any other similar relationship declarations when little pals have suddenly appeared to back up other arguments, such as in the David Davis thread.

Those little pals have been as quiet as church mice since then.
I agree firmly that it shouldnt be mentioned my relationship to another not relevant I believe its un-professional and a poor tactic used in defense.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 17:35   #34

One on here appears to be pre-occupied by hot dogs and coke and relationships to others very odd.
Old 26-02-2009, 17:45   #35

Here are some interesting figures on Peter Britcliffe's Member's Allowance payment form 2003/2004 year to 2007/2008 year.

2003/2004 basic allowance (which every member is entitled to claim) £3102.75 + special Responsibility allowance £11765.02 Total £14867.77
2004/2005 basic £3134.74 + special £12644.62 Total £15779.36 (an increase of 6.13%)
2005/2006 basic £3726.46 + special £14549.46 Total £185275.92 (an increase of 15.82%)
2006/2007 basic £4154.10 + special £16616.04 Total £20770.14 (an increase of 13.65%)
2007/2008 basic £4257.97 + special £21862.01 Total £26119.98 (an increase of 25.76%)
so in 4 years he had an increase in his members (and special) allowances of 75.68%, I have compared the increase in the National Minimum wage over the same 4 years - this increased by 23%.

In addition to the members and special allowances he has also claimed mileage, childcare and subsisitence.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 17:50   #36
God Member

I was browsing through Hyndburn Homes webpages recently and spotted his name on 'the board'. Does he still do that and does get paid for it?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 17:54   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Here are some interesting figures on Peter Britcliffe's Member's Allowance payment form 2003/2004 year to 2007/2008 year.

2003/2004 basic allowance (which every member is entitled to claim) £3102.75 + special Responsibility allowance £11765.02 Total £14867.77
2004/2005 basic £3134.74 + special £12644.62 Total £15779.36 (an increase of 6.13%)
2005/2006 basic £3726.46 + special £14549.46 Total £185275.92 (an increase of 15.82%)
2006/2007 basic £4154.10 + special £16616.04 Total £20770.14 (an increase of 13.65%)
2007/2008 basic £4257.97 + special £21862.01 Total £26119.98 (an increase of 25.76%)
so in 4 years he had an increase in his members (and special) allowances of 75.68%, I have compared the increase in the National Minimum wage over the same 4 years - this increased by 23%.

In addition to the members and special allowances he has also claimed mileage, childcare and subsisitence.
Do the members have another occupation too or is this their full time job.
Old 26-02-2009, 18:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Some members do have a full time job and have to loose money from work to take time off for day time meetings. But as far as I am aware none of the Cabinet members work - most are retired.

Last year the highest allowances paid to any member of Rossendale Council (which is a similar sized authority - with 36 members- Hyndburn has 35) was just short of £12K.

Peter Britcliffe's special allowance for being Leader of the Council is actually higher than that of the Leader Blackburn with Darwen council - which is a unitary council and so has the responsibility of being responsible for Highways and Social Services (amongst other), which in Hyndburn are functions of LCC.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 18:39   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I agree firmly that it shouldnt be mentioned my relationship to another not relevant I believe its un-professional and a poor tactic used in defense.
So you don't want to admit to being Andrew's mum, is he that bad?
Old 26-02-2009, 18:43   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Everyone can claim those and I hope the system is set up to reimburse out of pocket expenses and not so money can be made from claiming expenses.

I see no one has yet answered by previous question - how much money the top Council Officers are paid yet to use as a comparison to the Councillors?

Last edited by Neil; 26-02-2009 at 18:48.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 19:00   #41
God Member

Sorry Mr Jones, I know I'm being numb here, but I have no idea what you're saying about your phone allowances.
You do pay for your own personal communication, don't you? It isn't paid for by the council, surely. I'd appreciate it if you'd put this in big clear letters for me, ta

p.s. I admire you for your dedication to being a carer Mr Jones, good on you.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 19:22   #42
God Member

Quote:
So what other full time jobs, other than recipient of govt. bail outs, have received such outrageous increases?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 19:27   #43
God Member

Quote:
Well, if you did believe that firmly, why did you mention it? And what does "professionalism", what ever that overused buzz word means, have to do with posting in a public forum? Hell, I don't get paid for doing it, nor does anyone else ... we are all amateurs here. Long live amateurism And what is being defended
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 19:28   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So you don't want to admit to being Andrew's mum, is he that bad?
Perhaps if it's going to be such an issue, it would have been wiser not to have mentioned it in the first place.

It's not as if it was mentioned to someone in confidence, and then suddenly became public by being posted...they did that themselves.

As for being 'unprofessional' if it's ever referred to, I suppose that now makes yourself, and myself, 'professional' Accy Webbers.

Cool.

When's pay day, and how much do we get paid for our professional services?

Should we start a union to protect our rights?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 19:35   #45
Full Member+

Quote:
When's pay day, and how much do we get paid for our professional services?
Make sure you negotiate a cast iron pension contract in the event that you may have to leave early, possibly under a cloud of poor judgement.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mudslinging, politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..