Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2009, 05:01   #76
God Member

Re: Multicultural Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
- and maybe think very carefully before taking any decision to rename old Accrington Streets in accordance with muslim wishes.
what proposals (if any) have been put forward ?

any local councillors know anything about any such proposals ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2009, 10:53   #77
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
what proposals (if any) have been put forward ?

any local councillors know anything about any such proposals ?
According to last weekend's Observer changing the names of the streets to reflect the Asian background of some of the residents, was one of the proposals in ‘Welcome to West Accrington – a handbook of ideas’, which was commissioned by H.B.C.

It isn't on the Observer website yet, but the launch was featured in the Telegraph.

Man-made hill idea to brighten up Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Bye bye Persia Steet, hello Islamabad Way.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 11:46   #78
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

I like this comment on that page Gary

Quote:
workaholic, Accrington says...
7:47pm Wed 18 Feb 09
Hello - I am Vietnamese man offering help to grow large plantation of sweet smelling flowers on this hill! I have plenty of experience of cultivation in old derelict buildings and empty pubs and takeaway shops. Can offer council contribution when crop grown and plants make good medicine for arthritic pensioners!
Old 16-03-2009, 17:54   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
According to last weekend's Observer changing the names of the streets to reflect the Asian background of some of the residents, was one of the proposals in ‘Welcome to West Accrington – a handbook of ideas’, which was commissioned by H.B.C.

It isn't on the Observer website yet, but the launch was featured in the Telegraph.

Ah well that means I wont get funny looks when I say I am of up south central Bangladesh to visit my aunt.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 19:33   #80
God Member

Naming streets to reflect the heritage of immigrants .... mmm, we did it here in Kingston: King Street, Queen Street, Victoria Street, Albert Street, Nelson Street, Churchill Street (also Churchill Cr., and Winston Churchill School), Queen Elizabeth High School, Balaclava Street, Wellington Street, Waterloo sub-division ... don't cause any probs. Of course, we do have a Mohawk Pl., Arrowhead St., Algonquin Terrace, to placate the people who used to own the land.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 22:14   #81
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Naming streets to reflect the heritage of immigrants .... mmm, we did it here in Kingston: King Street, Queen Street, Victoria Street, Albert Street, Nelson Street, Churchill Street (also Churchill Cr., and Winston Churchill School), Queen Elizabeth High School, Balaclava Street, Wellington Street, Waterloo sub-division ... don't cause any probs. Of course, we do have a Mohawk Pl., Arrowhead St., Algonquin Terrace, to placate the people who used to own the land.
Maybe soon the people who own this land will change so it will be ok
Old 16-03-2009, 22:19   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe soon the people who own this land will change so it will be ok
Do we know who own's the land or are we not quite sure?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 06:59   #83
God Member

Just been down my local **** shop.. no problems and why would I expect any but for this website..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 16:37   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
I was wondering why poeple are getting upset at the thought when it doesnt even effect them..

Personally I am 100% for multi-culturalism in any country. I don't believe any human being should be restricted based on skin colour or birth place.

I was told many years ago that if this country threw out all the none english and the rest of the world sent back the english.. we wouldnt be able to cope. we wouldn't have enough room.
Where do you get the notion from that multi-culturalism doesnt effect them ? try telling the familys of returning soldiers,try telling familys looking for inner city housing,try telling familys whos members have been killed while traveling on public transport,etc etc what planet are you living on
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 16:41   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You will be listing every street in Canada next
Old 17-03-2009, 16:47   #86

Quote:

I would have thought from many of your past posts Noris or is it Doris, that you would be in favour of this suggestion.
Old 17-03-2009, 16:51   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
I would have thought from many of your past posts Noris or is it Doris, that you would be in favour of this suggestion.
Well as so often, you'd have been wrong.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 16:54   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well as so often, you'd have been wrong.
Oh its back Rindi thought he'd seen the light and joined a monastery, but alas not
Old 17-03-2009, 17:03   #89
God Member

I'd be saddened if we started purging multi-culturalism from britain. It has provided me with a fascinating education and I still ensure I get to study many cultures during my degree even though I don't have to study anything but English law if I don't want to.

I have many friends from all over the world, particular EU member states but some from outside the EU too and I go to a University with a vast variety of cultural links with some extremely intelligent students and lecturers coming on exchange and placement to bring some of their experiences and knowledge to the University. One of the most popular departments at Lancaster University is the Management School which is consistently ranked one of the top 5 in the world and its a brilliant talking point for students of all disciplines as it runs a lot of extra-curricular modules taught by various lecturers from all over the globe about current global-business issues, which provide the commercial awareness which is necessary for ALL graduate jobs.

I would lose some amazing lecturers if we lost the cultures and I'd lose a lot of brilliant friends. If I wanted to live under fascist governance I'd vote for the BNP. Fortunately I have some sense, if not much according to some people.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 17:09   #90
God Member

Multi-culturalism doesn't kill soldiers, weapons do and from what I have gathered from television and talking to armed forces reps at careers fairs, you are informed of the risks of being killed before you join them.

I also think that whilst its sad that soldiers die so young in the army, a lot of the pride of being in the forces has been lost in this day and age. It would seem actually that the army advertises mostly to the low achievers at schools and pulls them in at a young age.

If anything is bad its the army itself but then humanity as a whole isn't much better. If it was a bit better then maybe NOBODY would be murdered by another human being.

I'm not anti-war though because I see it as necessary considering humanity and its attitudes towards other people in different countries and such, but I'd obviously much rather we all just got along and lost all the prejudice and stuff.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
when in rome!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..