Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2009, 17:24   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post

I also think that whilst its sad that soldiers die so young in the army, a lot of the pride of being in the forces has been lost in this day and age. It would seem actually that the army advertises mostly to the low achievers at schools and pulls them in at a young age.
All three forces also target the top universities in the land, in the hope of attracting the creme de la creme, for the many positions that require the right caliber of people.

I do hope the fact that you haven't come across this recruitment drive, means they haven't written off Lancaster as a place of under achievers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2009, 17:51   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
All three forces also target the top universities in the land, in the hope of attracting the creme de la creme, for the many positions that require the right caliber of people.

I do hope the fact that you haven't come across this recruitment drive, means they haven't written off Lancaster as a place of under achievers.

They target freshers fair but they don't hold their own talks to students. Didn't I mention in a thread recently that I spoke to the armed forces? Can't remember why I mentioned that though.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 17:52   #93
God Member

Though as an afterthought, I don't just go to Lancaster's careers fairs. Northern universities are generally poorly targeted by a lot of companies. Lots of them admit this themselves, shame really.

I went to London on saturday for a law fair, but then I am crazy.
Old 17-03-2009, 18:05   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
You will be listing every street in Canada next
I already did ... didn't you notice our population density
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 18:06   #95
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Northern universities are generally poorly targeted by a lot of companies.
Depending on the course you'll find graduates from both York and Durham, and Manchester to some extent, are eagerly targeted by employers. Certainly more so than at southern universities such as those found in Brighton or Bournmouth.

There isn't really a north/south or old/redbrick, when it comes to employer's more favoured universtities, alhough of course Oxbridge colleges does attract more attention. It really does depend on the course, and of course grades.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 18:27   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Depending on the course you'll find graduates from both York and Durham, and Manchester to some extent, are eagerly targeted by employers. Certainly more so than at southern universities such as those found in Brighton or Bournmouth.

There isn't really a north/south or old/redbrick, when it comes to employer's more favoured universtities, alhough of course Oxbridge colleges does attract more attention. It really does depend on the course, and of course grades.

Well the management school here is heavily targeted because its the highest ranked in the country.

Generally though, northern uni's aren't targeted unless they have a strong department that they want people from.
Old 17-03-2009, 18:54   #97
God Member

Quote:
You will be listing every street in Canada next
And, by the way, Neil and Royboy got the point of the post ... but it seems to have gone over your head, way over.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 19:15   #98
God Member

Quote:
Multi-culturalism doesn't kill soldiers, weapons do and from what I have gathered from television and talking to armed forces reps at careers fairs, you are informed of the risks of being killed before you join them.

I also think that whilst its sad that soldiers die so young in the army, a lot of the pride of being in the forces has been lost in this day and age. It would seem actually that the army advertises mostly to the low achievers at schools and pulls them in at a young age.
Way off the mark......Army: Engineers, Bridge Builders, Radar Plotters, Artisans of all trades, Chefs, Technical Stores Controllers and many more.
RAF: Pilots, Airframe Engineers, Plotters, Navigators and many more.
Navy: Dummies cant control bloody big things that they've got.
There are even lawyers in all the services.
Your opinion sometimes sucks Blazey....you have a lot of reading to do.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 20:56   #99

Re: Multicultural Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Oh its back Rindi thought he'd seen the light and joined a monastery, but alas not
I see Noris or is it Doris has the side kick jaysay with his hand bag ready to swing.Bet you dont talk to your poodle this way
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 21:09   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And, by the way, Neil and Royboy got the point of the post ... but it seems to have gone over your head, way over.
Your a mind reader now are you. Neil and Roy got it but you didnt
Go and shoot your dinner
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 21:18   #101
God Member

Quote:
Your a mind reader now are you. Neil and Roy got it but you didnt
Go and shoot your dinner
Seems like we are auditioning for the cast of 'Boys from the Blackstuff'
I think Eric is capable of doing just that...what are you famous for nemick?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 12:40   #102
Senior Member+

Is there a point at which multiculteralism should be deemed to be heading too far.? Its been reported that 1 in 7 primary school pupils have English as a second language. In some areas English is a foreign language to over 70% of 4-11 year olds. Ten schools are without a single pupil who has English as a first language. In 4 years the number of primary school children who dont have English as their first language has increased by 25% and one school has pupils with 56 different languages!. This is as things stand now...or rather last year, so surely if nothing is done to drastically curtail immigration, then this situation can only get much worse. This surely must greatly effect the standard of education that children are receiving in this country, when so much resource has to be put basic english language skills. Apparently £206 million funding is being put into increasing the "Ethnic minority achievement grant" by 2010.

Surely if things are allowed to carry on at this rate, we as a country are going to lose our national identity, can that be right? WE've always been a very patriotic country, proud of our national heritage and common values. This must be being eroded by the level of multiculteralism to which we are surely heading, if more control is not taken over immigration. Its obviously right and beneficial to have a certain ammount of diversity, and integration of others cultures into our society, but i dont feel this should be allowed to grow to a level that it puts our own National Identity at risk. One of the benefits of travel, is to see other nationalities and cultures, a lot can be enjoyed and learned by seeing other lands and how people live there. However, its still usually nice to return home, and be among people of your own upbriging with whom you share common values. Britain is i think in danger of feeling less like home, and more just a nation of disparate groups sharing a chunk of earth. Australia, another island nation, has set and indeed now reduced the level of imigrants its going to take, particularily in the current ecconomic climate. I really feel we need to do the same.

If things carry on in the way that they are, rather than us having to debate possible Street name changes in Hyndburn, our Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren may be talking about changing the name of the Country!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 12:57   #103
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think children should not be allowed to attend school if they don't meet a certain level of English.
Old 19-03-2009, 14:05   #104
God Member

A postmaster in Nottingham is in trouble with the Post Office because he has decided if people who can't speak English go in to his post office he will refuse to serve them. Be prepared for a suprise when you read about it

BBC NEWS | England | Nottinghamshire | Postmaster's foreign language ban
Old 19-03-2009, 14:39   #105
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
A postmaster in Nottingham is in trouble with the Post Office because he has decided if people who can't speak English go in to his post office he will refuse to serve them. Be prepared for a suprise when you read about it

BBC NEWS | England | Nottinghamshire | Postmaster's foreign language ban
Good on him, although perhaps a little hard on someone who's just arrived or some passing tourist who might have wandered in. The real problem, though, is the huge amount of money that the local authorities, government departments and the NHS spend on translating documents into about six different languages.

Just one other thing, though...when they were talking about this on TV this morning, someone said that out of the half million or so British expats who live in Spain, around 70% don't speak Spanish. Is this true?

Tags
when in rome!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..