Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2009, 23:07   #136
Roy
Administrator

Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
a quick thought.
alot of brits have gone to places such as saudi and dubai to make ALOT of money. there's no denying alot of brits have got very very rich from workin in arab countries.
those arab countries flex their own laws, turn a blind eye just so that those brits can feel a lil more comfy. they allow alcohol to be consumed in public where normally it'd be hands chopped off. they give leeway and a certain flex to accomodate the foriegners.
should those brits do the whole when in rome too?
Having worked in Saudi(Jeddah to be precise) I feel I can comment here... Alchohol is still very much not allowed in public, or in private. If you get caught drunk its 50 public lashings, if your lucky. Foreigners working there generally keep themselves to themselves and stick together in private communities, which are heavily guarded. Bibles are not allowed, and I got hassle on entry to the country one time just because my middle name is Christopher!? If your a foreigner and involved in a car crash it is immediately your fault, because if you hadn't have been there then the local would not have been in an accident. Anyone who has had any dealings with the Commission For The Promotion Of Virtue And Prevention Of Vice in Saudi will know you don't mess with the laws of this country.
So I can safely say that when I was in Saudi I did not act like I do when I am in a 'normal' country. I was completely not myself, as I had no choice in the matter at all.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2009, 23:17   #137
God Member

I spent a lot of time in Malaya which is a Muslim Country and there were no restriction on alchohol whatsoever.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 12:03   #138
Give, give, give member

Re: Multicultural Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
And now we hear that the post-office worker has been transferred on the basis of a petition instigated and compiled by the local muslims.
Let's not forget that this man was an employee.

Whatever his frustrations are it's not his job to decide who is and isn't served in his employer's Post Office.

In my job I dealt with many customers who spoke little or no English. My boss wouldn't have been too happy if I'd have refused to accept their custom.

I guess most of us would be equally angry if on holiday we were refused service in a Post Office, whilst trying to buy stamps, because our Turkish/Greek/French wasn't up to scratch.

As for Mani's comments about Brits working in predominantly Muslim countries. Some countries, Dubai for example, have a liberal policy when it comes to drink, because it benefits their planned tourist industry. Although there was the recent case of two people being imprisoned for public indecency, when they had sex in public at a beach bar.

On the other hand there are countries where alcohol consumption and recreational drugs are severely punished, and there are cases of British workers and/or their offspring facing the severest penalties for breaking the laws of their host countries.

Wherever people chose to live or work, they should abide by the customs and laws of their host countries, or be prepared to face the consequences if they decide they aren't going to show that respect.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 13:17   #139
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
a quick thought.

alot of brits have gone to places such as saudi and dubai to make ALOT of money. there's no denying alot of brits have got very very rich from workin in arab countries.

those arab countries flex their own laws, turn a blind eye just so that those brits can feel a lil more comfy. they allow alcohol to be consumed in public where normally it'd be hands chopped off. they give leeway and a certain flex to accomodate the foriegners.

should those brits do the whole when in rome too?
Dont think many British people have gone out there to milk the benefit system though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 17:04   #140
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Dont think many British people have gone out there to milk the benefit system though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Nice one Taggy
Old 23-03-2009, 18:38   #141
Beacon of light

The benefits system is there...and it is the fault of the government if people come here and play the system.
The system should require that you have paid into it to get benefits.(In which case some of our own population would not qualify for benefits)
Some truly destitue people should get limited help....and they should have to pay back the cost once they are working.

There should be economic rules for migrants - they must be able to show that they have 1) a job.
2) enough money to sustain them for a period of two years
3) somewhere to live - be that a home that they have found before coming
into the country/or family members who they can live with.
If they cannot show proof of these things then they should not be allowed in.......someone has got to get real pretty soon, or our island is going to sink.

But then implementing such measures would require better skills than this governmemt has(for all its posturing and tinkering at the edges - the benefits system requires radical reform.....and they haven't got the cojones to do it).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 20:23   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
In the light of recent events where a fanatical bunch of no-marks have barracked our troops during a welcome home parade at Luton, is it not time that we re-evaluated our supposedly tolerant approach to the policies of multicultereralism that recent governments have hammered us with.
Oh indeed.
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 21:39   #143
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The benefits system is there...and it is the fault of the government if people come here and play the system.
The system should require that you have paid into it to get benefits.(In which case some of our own population would not qualify for benefits)
Some truly destitue people should get limited help....and they should have to pay back the cost once they are working.

There should be economic rules for migrants - they must be able to show that they have 1) a job.
2) enough money to sustain them for a period of two years
3) somewhere to live - be that a home that they have found before coming
into the country/or family members who they can live with.
If they cannot show proof of these things then they should not be allowed in.......someone has got to get real pretty soon, or our island is going to sink.

But then implementing such measures would require better skills than this governmemt has(for all its posturing and tinkering at the edges - the benefits system requires radical reform.....and they haven't got the cojones to do it).
Margaret, that is a brilliant synopsis of how things should be, and I give you credit. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of local politicians and indeed the elected MP's on the situation?
I may live in Spain but it may not be forever. I have a right to come back to the UK as a citizen with a British passport whenever the mood takes my family and I.
I still retain the right to vote in the UK as do a lot of ex-pats and the state of the pound and the state of the country does not go down well in the community.
I, as well as many Brits think the s... will hit the fan sooner rather than later and I hope the politicians of all parties realise that now.

Old 23-03-2009, 21:47   #144
Beacon of light

Thanks for your comment Royboy.
I doubt whether any politicians would even consider implementing these rules.
As I said in my post, they are all interested in spouting weasel words, but cannot follow any of them with the decisive action that is needed....and all parties are equally guilty of tinkering around the edges of the welfare system, but no-one making any real changes.
It doesn't take an Einstein to see that before too long, there are going to be far too many folk taking out of the communal pot and not enough folk contributing to the communal pot.......and by then it will be too late.
Old 23-03-2009, 21:57   #145
Beacon of light

You only have to look at the calibre of the MP's who are in office at present to realise that they are all in it to feather their own nests.......so they will have pensions that will guarantee they won't be on the breadline.

They are all drawing hefty salaries and then they get allowances too.......they earn more in a year that I probably have earned in my life. so they are far removed from the real world...the world that you and I inhabit....so they don't see the problem.

Another reason why they won't take the decisive action that is required is, it would lose them the votes of the folk who are drawing these benefits....and without being racist, a lot of the ethnic minorities vote for these politicians......and would not do so if they thought the benefits gravy train was going to run dry.

That is my opinion...for what it is worth. Now I am going to duck and await the negative Karma.
Old 23-03-2009, 22:00   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

only the P.C. dylans will call ya racist or give ya negative, cashy will not.
Old 23-03-2009, 22:02   #147
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You only have to look at the calibre of the MP's who are in office at present to realise that they are all in it to feather their own nests.......so they will have pensions that will guarantee they won't be on the breadline.

They are all drawing hefty salaries and then they get allowances too.......they earn more in a year that I probably have earned in my life. so they are far removed from the real world...the world that you and I inhabit....so they don't see the problem.

Another reason why they won't take the decisive action that is required is, it would lose them the votes of the folk who are drawing these benefits....and without being racist, a lot of the ethnic minorities vote for these politicians......and would not do so if they thought the benefits gravy train was going to run dry.

That is my opinion...for what it is worth. Now I am going to duck and await the negative Karma.
Take a good one from me Margaret.

Old 23-03-2009, 22:04   #148
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Take a good one from me Margaret.
Wont let me.....owe you one.

Old 23-03-2009, 22:06   #149
Beacon of light

Tis OK Royboy....just pleased to hear there are some folk out there who can see some sense in my ramblings.
Old 24-03-2009, 03:21   #150
K-P

Engerland Engerland Engerland!

Tags
when in rome!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..