Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2009, 14:17   #271
Senior Member+

Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

Here in France there are no translated official documents - if you want a translation - go and pay for one. of course there are plenty of officials here who are will ing to help if you are polite and make an attempt to speak French - no matter how badly. You want to get a job here, you have to speak French, even to the extent of a French driving test (Certificate of Competency) for anything over 3.5 tons. Some of the horror stories I have heard of immigrant drivers turning up to drive passennger vehicles having passed their "driving test" on disused Eastern Bloc airfields, really make you wonder what England has become.
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2009, 19:15   #272
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Here in France there are no translated official documents - if you want a translation - go and pay for one. of course there are plenty of officials here who are will ing to help if you are polite and make an attempt to speak French - no matter how badly. You want to get a job here, you have to speak French, even to the extent of a French driving test (Certificate of Competency) for anything over 3.5 tons. Some of the horror stories I have heard of immigrant drivers turning up to drive passennger vehicles having passed their "driving test" on disused Eastern Bloc airfields, really make you wonder what England has become.
Sounds a lot like Quebec
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 19:18   #273
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Sounds a lot like Quebec
Spain is just the same, only us that are stupid.
Old 24-09-2009, 19:39   #274
God Member

On the radio the other day the CBC were interviewing this Afghani guy in France .... he needed a translator, tho', because he didn't speak English .... he was up front about why he was trying to make it to the UK .... food, shelter and health care for his family. Seems like you guys have a major league problem going on. With all these freeloaders ready to descend on your shores, maybe it's time to do a Nancy Reagan, and just say "no".
Old 24-09-2009, 19:49   #275
God Member

I think the vast majority of people have been able to see the problems for a long time Eric, just can't get anybody in power to recognise what is going on.
Old 24-09-2009, 20:03   #276
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I think the vast majority of people have been able to see the problems for a long time Eric, just can't get anybody in power to recognise what is going on.
This sounds really crazy .... there are some things which are obvious .... if the majority can see that there is a problem, why can't those representatives the people vote for see it? I know that there are a lot of voices speaking from the lunatic fringe parties (we even hear about it in this pleasant backwater country of ours), but why is it that the mainstream parties won't admit there is a problem? Maybe your PM is hoping that the BNP will drain votes from the tories in the next election Immigration is fine if you need people, particularly people with certain skills; but to let in anyone and everyone is just plain nuts. Ah well, none of my business really.
Old 24-09-2009, 20:09   #277
God Member

Quote:
This sounds really crazy .... there are some things which are obvious .... if the majority can see that there is a problem, why can't those representatives the people vote for see it? I know that there are a lot of voices speaking from the lunatic fringe parties (we even hear about it in this pleasant backwater country of ours), but why is it that the mainstream parties won't admit there is a problem? Maybe your PM is hoping that the BNP will drain votes from the tories in the next election Immigration is fine if you need people, particularly people with certain skills; but to let in anyone and everyone is just plain nuts. Ah well, none of my business really.
One phrase springs to mind "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" cant bash the minorities unless you want time at HMP.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 20:58   #278
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
One phrase springs to mind "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" cant bash the minorities unless you want time at HMP.
I honestly do believe that somewhere between "promoting hatred" and "political correctness" there lies something that, for want of a better term, can be called "common sense". Out here in the boonies, it is illegal to promote hatred of a particular group, say for example, "muslims", "jews", "gays", but freedom of speech is still alive and well ....

Question: when the Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stood on his hind legs to spout his hatred of Israel, did the Brits, like the Candians walk out?
Old 24-09-2009, 21:06   #279
God Member

Quote:
I honestly do believe that somewhere between "promoting hatred" and "political correctness" there lies something that, for want of a better term, can be called "common sense". Out here in the boonies, it is illegal to promote hatred of a particular group, say for example, "muslims", "jews", "gays", but freedom of speech is still alive and well ....

Question: when the Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stood on his hind legs to spout his hatred of Israel, did the Brits, like the Candians walk out?
Common sense is something they have never heard of over here in the corridors of power. As for walking out they were scared that a minority over here would have marched in protest. That would mean making a hard choice which is impossible for them to do. Their back bones are as ridged as a peice of fine sewing thread.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 21:39   #280
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Common sense is something they have never heard of over here in the corridors of power. As for walking out they were scared that a minority over here would have marched in protest. That would mean making a hard choice which is impossible for them to do. Their back bones are as ridged as a peice of fine sewing thread.
When asked by the media about Canada's decision to walk out of the Iranian leader's address, our PM (whom I don't particularly like, and would never vote for) said: "Canada makes its own decisions on these matters. There is no way I am going to permit any official of the Government of Canada to be present and give any legitimacy to remarks made by a leader like that." Nothing wrong with a bit of plain speaking now and again, is there.
Old 24-09-2009, 21:55   #281

Quote:
When asked by the media about Canada's decision to walk out of the Iranian leader's address, our PM (whom I don't particularly like, and would never vote for) said: "Canada makes its own decisions on these matters. There is no way I am going to permit any official of the Government of Canada to be present and give any legitimacy to remarks made by a leader like that." Nothing wrong with a bit of plain speaking now and again, is there.
Can you send him over here for a while eric........could teach our lot a thing or two
Old 24-09-2009, 22:12   #282
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Top geezer in my book. i would even say that about a tory here if they did similar.
Old 24-09-2009, 23:21   #283
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
Can you send him over here for a while eric........could teach our lot a thing or two
Doing and saying what he did is not all that difficult. Canada is a friend and supporter of Israel; a position I fully agree with, but that's another argument. Given the nature of many of the Iranian leader's remarks concerning Israel, and Iran's strong anti-Israeli policies, PM Harper could do little else. I realise that I may be coming on strong in support of my country, but I don't see anything wrong with that either. There is no argument here about a multicultural Canada ... we have what we like to call a "cultural mosaic", and it seems to work well enough. However, first and foremost, we are Canadian; and damn proud to be so.
Old 24-09-2009, 23:44   #284
God Member

Quote:
.....However, first and foremost, we are Canadian; and damn proud to be so.
Indeed you are, Eric; however, had it not been for us Brits you would now be no more than a "Department de France", or even worse, the 51st State of the Union. This month is, as you know, the 250th anniversary of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham. I trust you have been reminding your Froggie neighbours of that fact and of who was the victor.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 00:23   #285
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Indeed you are, Eric; however, had it not been for us Brits you would now be no more than a "Department de France", or even worse, the 51st State of the Union. This month is, as you know, the 250th anniversary of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham. I trust you have been reminding your Froggie neighbours of that fact and of who was the victor.
They did have some sort of ceremony in Quebec City .... it went over like a fart in a space suit. Because a lot of folks are ignorant about Canada, they think that we are sitting around with our thumbs up our asses waiting for the Americans to invite us to become the fifty first state No way. In fact, we have more in common with you guys than we do with the yanks. All new Canadians, for example, must swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen ... the only ones who seem to object to this are .... well, have a guess. But if we can make a country out of two founding nations, almost 700 First Nations, people from every corner of the world, of every race, religion, political persuasion, fishermen from Newfoundland, wheat farmers from Saskatchewan, and wierdos from British California, etc., etc., surely you guys can do it. All that new Britons need to do is fit in and contribute, in order to make a stronger Britain. I think that's why discussions like this bug me ... the answer is so simple (well in theory anyhow) ... a real no-brainer. The UK is a great country with lots to offer; but if you bend over forwards to over-accomodate immigrants, guess what will happen .....

Tags
when in rome!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..