Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 00:09   #376
Give, give, give member

Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
there's no denying that Eric.. but this thread was started asking if multiculteral Britian was possible...my answer is that it has to be possible or what does this country turn into?..there are very few nations or countries that have only one culture and in my opinion they are facist states..Iran and China spring to mind.
We've been multi-cultural since at least Anglo-Saxon times, as they were two seperate ethnicities, and arguably well before that too.

Like every other nation on Earth we are a mongrel breed.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2009, 00:15   #377
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We've been multi-cultural since at least Anglo-Saxon times, as they were two seperate ethnicities, and arguably well before that too.

Like every other nation on Earth we are a mongrel breed.
and you could argue that the strongest.. most successful nations throughout modern history have been of a mixed culteral/ethnic background.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 00:20   #378
Give, give, give member

The funniest thing about this thread is that the person who started it couldn't spell cultural.

Which to my mind exhibits a lack of culture, monoculturalism, multiculturalism, or plain old ethnocentricism.

Old 08-10-2009, 00:28   #379
God Member

Quote:
The funniest thing about this thread is that the person who started it couldn't spell cultural.

Which to my mind exhibits a lack of culture, monoculturalism, multiculturalism, or plain old ethnocentricism.

.. and it's funny that I've been copying the mis-spell..I'll just put it down to misspellturism

Last edited by Mancie; 08-10-2009 at 00:31.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:45   #380
God Member

Quote:
Territorial clash?

Not that I've seen in the last five years here in Hyndburn, or in the seventeen years before that, that I lived in London.

I do think the majority of people are sick and tired of the way offical wooly liberalism panders to those who weren't born here, instead of encouraging people to integrate. Something we British aren't too good at, when we move over seas ourselves. Happy to exisit in Little England ghettos.
Sounds like you have spent time in Victoria, BC
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:46   #381

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Certainly didn't offened me.

Until a decade ago the most famous Muslim in the world wasn't Bin Laden, it was someone who always tops the polls of the most popular sportsman of all time, Mohammed Ali.
Its Muhammad Ali

Quote:

I agree
Old 08-10-2009, 05:01   #382
God Member

Quote:
there's no denying that Eric.. but this thread was started asking if multiculteral Britian was possible...my answer is that it has to be possible or what does this country turn into?..there are very few nations or countries that have only one culture and in my opinion they are fascist states..Iran and China spring to mind.
I don't think I can accept that Iran and China are unicultural and monolithic ..... seems to me that was thought of the Soviet Union just before it disintegrated. But that's another argument.

But it does seem to me .... with the wisdom, perspective and safety that thousands of kms confer .... that the UK is reaching a crisis point over the issue that we are discussing, what Asimov would have called a Seldon crisis. It's a situation that can't be allowed to proceed unchecked. I'm not suggesting a return to the golden age of George Formby and Guy Gibson, nor that the doors be slammed shut ... just, maybe, that there is someone at the doors controlling who gets in. That's simple. What is difficult is arriving at a consensus of what should be the rules for entry. Over here, it is "do you have the skills that we need; and will you be able to support you and your family." Skin colour and religion don't enter into it. We still have, of course, our racists and our bigots; but they aren't the ones holding the doors.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33   #383
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Its Muhammad Ali
You are right, but there are many varients of the Prophet's name, and not being an expert on Islamic culture, unlike yourself, because it isn't my culture, I don't really care which spelling Cassius Clay chose.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:43   #384
Give, give, give member

As I've pointed out many times we can all make mistakes, yet it doesn't stop us from getting our point of view across.

I just thought it was more than a little ironic, that in a thread about multiculturalism, the person who'd started the thread had misspelled the word culture.

Old 08-10-2009, 13:41   #385

Smile Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Its Muhammad Ali

I agree
Hahaha..sarcasm a lower form of wit....but a higher form of intelligence... you must have Spartan blood in those Irish veins...
Gingerninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 21:41   #386
Full Member+

Re: Multicultural Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
I'll say it again... this statement is aimed at colour.. nothing to do with culture..unless you see anyone not white as having a different culture than your own and therefore a threat ?
There's no winning with you, Mancie. I get the impression that you simply like to argue just for argument's sake. Pity, really, for such deliberate intransegance only seeks to undermine true debate.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 21:43   #387
Full Member+

Quote:
As I've pointed out many times we can all make mistakes, yet it doesn't stop us from getting our point of view across.

I just thought it was more than a little ironic, that in a thread about multiculturalism, the person who'd started the thread had misspelled the word culture.

Oops!!!!!!!! Nobody's perfect.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 00:09   #388
Senior Member+

no stumped mancie is deffo not arguing for sake of it...Im sure even a racist bigot can see that........or perhaps im too drunk to see
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16   #389

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
In the light of recent events where a fanatical bunch of no-marks have barracked our troops during a welcome home parade at Luton, is it not time that we re-evaluated our supposedly tolerant approach to the policies of multicultereralism that recent governments have hammered us with.
To avoid all the pedantry and nonsensical colour discrimination accusations, perhaps in future this kind of post should read :-

In the variable spectrum of recent events, long after the birth of mankind, whence a throng of individuals that long ago broke away from their hereditary east african culture and founded a new culture, travelled as a small group, who, seemingly unhappy with their own culture and values, settled amidst another culture. In time they did express that they disagreed most vehemently with many aspects of the new found culture.

(Notwithstanding the fact that this new found culture also began as a breakaway group from the self same hereditary east african culture, which also consisted of a throng of individuals that long ago broke away from their hereditary east african culture and after various battles and wars, became civilised and founded a new culture that they were happy with.)

This disagreement was expressed by verbal abuse, flag burning, bottle throwing and the like against the returning heroic warriors of the new found culture. These dissenters were then protected from the wrath of the families of warriors who would not be returning home by the guardians of the new found culture, who had sworn to uphold the culture of which they were dissenting against.

Is it not time that the new found culture re-evaluated its policies in tolerating this kind of cultural dissent?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:33   #390
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
no stumped mancie is deffo not arguing for sake of it...Im sure even a racist bigot can see that........or perhaps im too drunk to see
hmmm Shut up restless.... you have nothing to say
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
when in rome!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..