Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2009, 17:06   #1
Senior Member+

Muslim Veils

Whilst posting on another thread, i started to ponder about Muslim Dress, more specifically Full Face Veils, Burka's and Hijab's. These forms of dress are now very common on the streets of Britain, however from my younger days, although i can quite clearly recall seeing many Asian women, i cannot ever recall seeing any in a Full Face Veil. Obviously there are more members of the Asian community living here now, so percentage wise one would expect to see more. But as i say, when younger i cannot recall anyone wearing them! Now, is that my memory and Brain cells hopelessly deteriorating? Can anyone recall when these garments started to be worn more widely on our streets, and assuming my memory is correct, why would it be that Asian women from earlier days, chose not to wear the Full Veil, have they suddenly become designer items, or is there a feeling that they want to make a bolder statement about their faith?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2009, 17:13   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Muslim Veils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Whilst posting on another thread, i started to ponder about Muslim Dress, more specifically Full Face Veils, Burka's and Hijab's. These forms of dress are now very common on the streets of Britain, however from my younger days, although i can quite clearly recall seeing many Asian women, i cannot ever recall seeing any in a Full Face Veil. Obviously there are more members of the Asian community living here now, so percentage wise one would expect to see more. But as i say, when younger i cannot recall anyone wearing them! Now, is that my memory and Brain cells hopelessly deteriorating? Can anyone recall when these garments started to be worn more widely on our streets, and assuming my memory is correct, why would it be that Asian women from earlier days, chose not to wear the Full Veil, have they suddenly become designer items, or is there a feeling that they want to make a bolder statement about their faith?

Best Regards - Taggy

Slight wander but do they make them take them off in places like banks, post offices, petrol stations etc like they do with people wearing motorbike helmets??
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 17:18   #3

Saw one driving yesterday (a woman wearing one that is!!) and as she was doing a three point turn wondered if they may impede peripheral vision. The edges seem very close to the eyes at the sides....

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 17:21   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Slight wander but do they make them take them off in places like banks, post offices, petrol stations etc like they do with people wearing motorbike helmets??
There was an incident a few weeks ago at a school,where a woman turned up wearing one for a parents teachers evening.The teachers asked her to leave for security reasons as the CCTV would not be able to identify her if the need occured.
Old 14-04-2009, 17:21   #5

No your memory is not playing tricks on you. I grew up in the 70's in a large Asian community and I cannot recall 1 Muslim woman wearing anything but a Sari sometimes with a scarf draped loosely over their heads. Whilst my children were growing up in the 80's & 90's we lived in the Audley area of Blackburn and even then I don't recall any female wearing the Hijab, etc. Thinking back I would have to say maybe they started wearing them in the late 90's around Audley.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
No your memory is not playing tricks on you. I grew up in the 70's in a large Asian community and I cannot recall 1 Muslim woman wearing anything but a Sari sometimes with a scarf draped loosely over their heads. Whilst my children were growing up in the 80's & 90's we lived in the Audley area of Blackburn and even then I don't recall any female wearing the Hijab, etc. Thinking back I would have to say maybe they started wearing them in the late 90's around Audley.
From my childhood in downtown Accrington I don't remember them although the Asian community was just starting to move into the town.

I do think they are used a fashion statement by may younger asian women and also because no one can see what is under them so they can h appily go out in their 'scruff'.
I would happily defend anyones right to wear whatever they choose - except if public security is compromised, for example in a bank.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:09   #7
God Member

I am thinking that these garments have become more widespread even more recently than the 90's, and in particular, since Jack Straw caused a ruckus by asking for one to be lowered at his office.
Old 14-04-2009, 18:10   #8
God Member

In Spain there are many Muslim women from all over the world.
I have never seen one wearing a veil.
Heads covered yes, but no veil.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:13   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
In Spain there are many Muslim women from all over the world.
I have never seen one wearing a veil.
Heads covered yes, but no veil.
And for a very good reason.The Spanish authorities won't allow it.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:14   #10
God Member

Thats interesting royboy, seems to throw some weight behind my comments too!
Old 14-04-2009, 18:22   #11
JFT96

In Morocco, where I have worked now for 16 months, I might have seen 1 or 2.

Morocco is a fairly strict Islamic country, you are not allowed to carry a copy of the Bible in public, for example.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:28   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

perhaps they are worn cos there Ugly.
Old 14-04-2009, 18:30   #13
God Member

Sod off Cashy.. I am not wearing a veil!!
Old 14-04-2009, 18:34   #14
God Member

Can't get the wife to wear one either.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:46   #15
God Member

If your good lady sees that royboy, I am guessing a veil would be handy to hide the hand mark upside of your head! lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..