Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 12:53   #16
Super Moderator

Re: joanna lumley on gurkhas

One of the most satisfying sights of this week was to see Joanna Lumley outwitting the hapless Phil Woolas. One helluva a lady! What a contrast to the likes of Harriet Harman and Jacqui Smith (and Caroline Spelman for the sake of political balance! )
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2009, 16:38   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i agree they should, just same as the tories should hold their hands up n say we never even considered this, all the years we were in power, no party should escape criticism who has been in power in my lifetime. the snipers always omit to say this.
No government in my recollection has ever been put to task over this issue like his one cashy, the trouble with this present shower is they've forgot that old saying, when your in a hole stop bloody digging this lot are halfway to Australia and the muck is still flying over their shoulders
Old 08-05-2009, 16:40   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
One of the most satisfying sights of this week was to see Joanna Lumley outwitting the hapless Phil Woolas. One helluva a lady! What a contrast to the likes of Harriet Harman and Jacqui Smith (and Caroline Spelman for the sake of political balance! )
Ho give her more credit than that Wynonie its not that hard to outwit an halfwit
Old 08-05-2009, 20:11   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ho give her more credit than that Wynonie its not that hard to outwit an halfwit
No, it isn't, Jaysay, and because of this particular PM's insecurities, he has surrounded himself with mediocre yes men (and women) to the detriment of the country. However, it was good to see one of these nonentities ambushed by Joanna Lumley, without the benefit of spin doctors and a carefully prepared prebriefing session!
Old 08-05-2009, 20:33   #20
God Member

Quote:
i agree they should, just same as the tories should hold their hands up n say we never even considered this, all the years we were in power, no party should escape criticism who has been in power in my lifetime. the snipers always omit to say this.
The media are to be complemented for bringing this to headline status.
Internet is also to be complemted for the views that are expressed on this subject..........In 1997 the subject was published at the whim of the moguls in Fleet Street.....Now thankfully, right thinking people have the wherewithall to discuss the subject with the world.
No matter what went on in the past, this is on todays agenda.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:15   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No, it isn't, Jaysay, and because of this particular PM's insecurities, he has surrounded himself with mediocre yes men (and women) to the detriment of the country. However, it was good to see one of these nonentities ambushed by Joanna Lumley, without the benefit of spin doctors and a carefully prepared prebriefing session!
Well ya you have a point, they're nout without smoke and mirrors, thats all politicians
Old 09-05-2009, 11:07   #22

This woman rokks!
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:24   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
This woman rokks!
Maybe she does.....but if she succeeds in her aims, the end result will be the end of Gurkha service with the British Army.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:28   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Maybe she does.....but if she succeeds in her aims, the end result will be the end of Gurkha service with the British Army.
think i see what yer getting at T. but if thats what it takes.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:32   #25
God Member

Quote:
think i see what yer getting at T. but if thats what it takes.
Takes to do what? I don't understand.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:38   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Takes to do what? I don't understand.
if thats what it takes so gurkhas who have served us are admitted into britain.then so be it.IMHO.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:47   #27
God Member

But most Gurkhas knew when they signed on that there was no end-of-service right of abode in the UK. Why is this now being changed retrospectively?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:05   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
But most Gurkhas knew when they signed on that there was no end-of-service right of abode in the UK. Why is this now being changed retrospectively?
well i look at it this way i see all the deadbeats n scum that are admitted who don't even like the british, just the benefits of coming here, n think well these guys fought n many died fer us,i see the conditions in their homeland n reckon they deserve our aid. that is my personal thinking on this matter.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:12   #29
God Member

Quote:
well i look at it this way i see all the deadbeats n scum that are admitted who don't even like the british, just the benefits of coming here, n think well these guys fought n many died fer us,i see the conditions in their homeland n reckon they deserve our aid. that is my personal thinking on this matter.
But if we are to change the law to allow in the pre '97 Gurkhas - however honourable the sentiment in doing so - then how long will it be before another group - and this time not so deserving - turn up and start shouting to be let in? You know that, like the Gurkhas it will go to court and you know what the lawyers and judges are like..they will quote precedent of the Gurkhas and before we know it..another lot come flooding in.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:23   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

can't dispute that T, that to me is a different argument though, also one of the reasons i despise the political ******* in our country.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..