Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2009, 15:16   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool 4th Veteran’s Day – Saturday 27th June

Please spare a few seconds on Saturday to remember the men and women who answered the call to arms in the country’s hour/s of need.

There were many who paid the ultimate price or came back damaged or were virtually abandoned by the government of the day after being given a demob suit and a railway ticket home.

And then to add insult to injury the Quango set up to administer the scheme refused to allow the Veteran’s Award to be awarded posthumously. And to really rub it in, the lapel badge was made in China and it was badly made with two dents in it. The accompanying certificate was anonymous too.

My father served in WW1, was wounded and then spent the bulk of WW2 in a prisoner of war camp in Germany and died in 1948.

In spite of the government’s best efforts to insult the veterans I have amended the certificate to make it more personal and made my own tribute to my dad at http://uk.geocities.com/dqmcxh@btinternet.com/last.html You will need your speakers turned on.

The Last Post is beautifully played by Steven Fletcher (Ex Royal Artillery Band).
Old 25-06-2009, 15:28   #2
God Member

Re: 4th Veteran’s Day – Saturday 27th June

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad
Old 25-06-2009, 20:00   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

That was lovely, Jambutty, a very fitting tribute.
Old 25-06-2009, 23:06   #4
God Member

Sadly JB its saying service temporarily out of order .
Im sure its a very fitting tribut to your father and all the veterans of our past and I would have loved to have seen it.

Lets also not forget that veterans day is now Known as Armed forces day and this enables us not only to Salute our Veterans but also Salute and think of our boys and girls out there fighting today.

Its not a celebration but a time to step back and give thought to all conflicts Past and present.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 23:07   #5
God Member

ah just tried again and got it..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 01:11   #6
God Member

Fantastic Jambutty .... what a debt we owe!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 09:39   #7
Resting in Peace

What a fitting tribute to your Father Jim
Old 26-06-2009, 10:12   #8
God Member

First of all, welcome back Jambutty, it's good to see you posting again.

Secondly, there is a big rededication of the War Memorial in Oswaldtwistle tomorrow morning at 11.30am. All are welcome, please come along and either join the procession from 11am from Brookside St or meet at the memorial.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 10:37   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Thumbs down Re: 4th Veteran’s Day – Saturday 27th June

Yes! Today has been renamed Armed Forces Day and that’s a travesty.

It’s like renaming Mothers Day to Parents Day.

The veterans of past armed conflicts were also the police, fire and ambulance service, coast guard, fire watchers, plane spotters and RNLI plus the temporary conscription of the boat owners for Dunkirk and not forgetting the Home Guard, the real Dad’s Army. They were all civilians.

This government is beyond contempt.
Old 27-06-2009, 13:05   #10
God Member

A few photos from the Oswaldtwistle War Memorial Rededication procession and ceremony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Procession5.JPG (22.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Procession 1.JPG (26.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Procession 2.JPG (34.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Procession 3.JPG (30.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Procession 4.JPG (30.9 KB, 28 views)

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 15:34   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
A few photos from the Oswaldtwistle War Memorial Rededication procession and ceremony
Some great photos Gayle, thanks for letting us see them on here, looks like a great turnout from the last one.
Old 27-06-2009, 15:50   #12
God Member

Fitting tribute Jambutty. Unfortunately the sound doesn't appear for me though.
Old 27-06-2009, 16:00   #13

We were there, it was nice to see the good turnout aswell as the huge round of applause for the vetrans.

I dont know if its me just not liking peter britcliffe but he has to get everywhere where there is a camera, well done gail he must of missed you!

Can you explain to me why the reef had to be emblazoned with the conservative logo in the middle, i didn't I like it especially when you have peter there in all his glory! i feel there was no need.

**** my wife said he could of polished his shoes they were filthy lol

Last edited by ozzypostie; 27-06-2009 at 16:03.
ozzypostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 18:32   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzypostie View Post
We were there, it was nice to see the good turnout aswell as the huge round of applause for the vetrans.

I dont know if its me just not liking peter britcliffe but he has to get everywhere where there is a camera, well done gail he must of missed you!

Can you explain to me why the reef had to be emblazoned with the conservative logo in the middle, i didn't I like it especially when you have peter there in all his glory! i feel there was no need.

Not my normal position, defending Peter Britcliffe (), but as far as I'm aware, he and other Oswaldtwistle councillors were instrumental in the refurbishing of the War Memorial, and the organisation of the rededication, and I'd have been more shocked if they weren't there. Though I agree about using a wreath to promote any political party is a bit iffy, in my opinion.

I do think it looks great, and we're lucky to have one of the most beautiful war memorials in the country.

As it is for many other people, the place is very special to my family. For my mum, growing up without a dad, who'd been killed in Normandy aged 22, just months before she was born, it is the nearest thing she had/has to a grave to visit.

My grandfather's great grandson was very proud to march with the cubs, in today's rededication procession.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 19:18   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzypostie View Post

It was good turnout. And also what was pleasing to see was the respect shown when the service was being held. As someone said you could here a pin drop.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..