Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 13:17   #1
Give, give, give member

The Noughties.

Well we're nearing the end of another decade.

(Where did it go?)

The 40's/50's/60's/70's/80's/90's all seem to have well defined definitions of what happened, and what they represented. Though that might be because it's easier with hindsight to understand what happened, and we're still too near to see what's really changed in this decade.

What do you think this time period will be remembered for?

How has your life changed in this decade?

For me, after sixteen years in the smoke I moved from London to Glasgow, then back to Ossy. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and stopped going clubbing every weekend. It's the decade I offically became middle aged...although on the rare occasions I'm dancing like a space cadet on a podium in some foreign club, I don't feel it!

Historically I think this time will be remembered for terrorism, the war in Iraq/Afghanistan, expense scandals, people's growing dependency on the internet, and the still growing interest in so called celebrities.

Over to you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2009, 13:28   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Noughties.

me moved back from spain,to stockport,lost me first missus, moved back to accy, met paris, got me first grandchild, acheived a lifelong ambition, by visiting the "Mardi Gras" in new orleans, Memphis,Nashville, recently Egypt n Pyramids, saw Stanley return to the football league, found accy web through a mate, so over all despite the bad its been a great decade IMHO.
Old 05-11-2009, 13:45   #3
God Member

The Noughties will be remebered as teh decade that the mirror finaly stopped putting princess diana stories on their front page

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:11   #4
Beacon of light

I will remember it as the decade in which I retired........the decade in which my daughter had two children, the decade that I officially became a 'pensioner'(state pension, that is).
In the early part of this decade I travelled extensively in Oz....saw sights that I had only previously dreamed of.......had a thoroughly fantastic time.
The latter part of the decade saw my travels to be mainly confined to this country....and in the guise of carer/companion for Ma.
Together we have seen some beautiful English countryside, have met feisty independent, interesting older people....not the 'boring old f@rts' that most folk associate with coach travel........and I hope I haven't become one of those BOF's.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 15:03   #5
God Member

This has been the 'family' decade. We got married in 1998 and had Maddie at the back end of 1999, so this has been the decade when I stopped being a single girl, with business ambitions but became a wife, mum and someone who wanted to work in the community I live in.

It's also been the decade when I discovered the joys and pain of being physically attached to my mobile phone and my laptop - it would take an operation to remove them.

But, it also became the decade when I reconnected with friends, neighbours, people from the area and became more aware of details and things going on around me. I stop to smell the roses more often.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 16:28   #6
Resting in Peace

The noughties to me is when my father died, my two grandsons were born overseas, my health carried on its downward spiral, but a time when I found a lot of new friends. I also let beer take a back seat and became more ware of the beauty of a nice bottle of wine
Old 05-11-2009, 17:34   #7
God Member

Never thought I'd make it this far ... reached the point in my life when I don't live decade to decade, but just try to make every day count. But with the sad condition the world is in ........
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 21:55   #8
God Member

It has been a family decade for me too. Up to the age of 21 I had no responsibilities.

I got marries in 1999, had my first child in 2000 and my second in 2003.

I have moved house twice, my parents became pensioners, mine and my husband's grandparents died.

In addition to all this I will remember this period in time as the one where I finally got the most fun and rewarding job I have ever had.
Old 05-11-2009, 21:58   #9
Senior Member+

I hadn't thought of that and it's so scary. We moved to Tenerife in 2001. Our children have produced another four grandchildren for us. We lost our Jack Russell, bought our Cocker Spaniel and still live in the same apartment.

It hasn't been that bad really. Now we are almost out of the noughties what will the next decade be called?

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 22:44   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post

It hasn't been that bad really. Now we are almost out of the noughties what will the next decade be called?
Don't really give a rats slong as i don't croak.
Old 05-11-2009, 22:48   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Historically I think this time will be remembered for terrorism, the war in Iraq/Afghanistan, expense scandals, people's growing dependency on the internet, and the still growing interest in so called celebrities.
Agreed. This decade will also get the blame for teenage pregnancies rocketing, I suspect. Also, is it only me thinking that the obsession with what we eat has become much more prevalent in this decade? This paranoia of all things preserved; a need to know of what makes up every particle that passes through our lips! We're living longer than we've ever done, and there's a desperate scramble to keep it that way. There's both positive and negative sides to this situation but it bloody annoys me.

I was 11 when we rang in the millennium, and will be 22 when we welcome the tens (tens? that doesn't sound right). All the usual adolescent nonsense packed in the middle, so shan't bore. But I will comment that my coming of age seemed to take place in a truly uninspiring time in terms of art and music compared to that of most of you lot.

Last edited by shakermaker; 05-11-2009 at 22:50.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 23:24   #12
God Member

[quote=shakermaker;760870]Agreed. This decade will also get the blame for teenage pregnancies rocketing, I suspect. Also, is it only me thinking that the obsession with what we eat has become much more prevalent in this decade? This paranoia of all things preserved; a need to know of what makes up every particle that passes through our lips! We're living longer than we've ever done, and there's a desperate scramble to keep it that way. There's both positive and negative sides to this situation but it bloody annoys me.

I was 11 when we rang in the millennium, and will be 22 when we welcome the tens (tens? that doesn't sound right). All the usual adolescent nonsense packed in the middle, so shan't bore. But I will comment that my coming of age seemed to take place in a truly uninspiring time in terms of art and music compared to that of most of you lot.[/quote

I was eleven when we "rang in" the Space Age with Sputnik .... all the promises of my coming of age proved empty ... I don't really care about the tens ... we could call it the "teens" ... I won't be alive for the "twenties" ... I don't wish to sound negative, but I think the best thing about being my age is that I won't be around when the faeces hits the swiftly rotating object in a big way. What a god awful legacy we are leaving ....
Old 05-11-2009, 23:28   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yer are being negative Eric, i intend to be around in the 20s n further, i intend to get a telegram from the "Monarch" whoever that maybe, also to screw the goverment from the pension they have robbed off me all me life.
Old 06-11-2009, 00:00   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yer are being negative Eric, i intend to be around in the 20s n further, i intend to get a telegram from the "Monarch" whoever that maybe, also to screw the goverment from the pension they have robbed off me all me life.
C'mon, fess up, you're just hanging around 'cause there are folks you haven't peed off yet
Old 06-11-2009, 00:04   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
C'mon, fess up, you're just hanging around 'cause there are folks you haven't peed off yet
Well there is that as well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..