Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2010, 16:49   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
A shame about the cafe has always been a good meeting place for a brew with friends/family
No point Bernie if you can't have a ciggie with your brew anymore ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2010, 16:58   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Wish there was, mate. I was talking about Russ Taylor's little cafe, just near the bookstall!
I wonder if he'll still keep the Tricketts name too on any New Signage, or if that will go now seeing as theres no Tricketts Ice Cream?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 20:31   #33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I wonder if he'll still keep the Tricketts name too on any New Signage, or if that will go now seeing as theres no Tricketts Ice Cream?

Best Regards - Taggy
Dunno, Taggy, but I hope he keeps all the historic pics of bygone Accrington on the walls. always enjoy looking at those.
Old 14-01-2010, 21:06   #34
Senior Member+

I always thought it was still owned by Tricketts. Just shows how wrong you can be. I used to love having a Horlicks there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarketHall12Jan2010_05.jpg (242.8 KB, 31 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 21:19   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I always thought it was still owned by Tricketts. Just shows how wrong you can be. I used to love having a Horlicks there!

the best thing about Tricketts when i was little was their coke floaters....a glass of coke with ice-cream in it.....wouldn't catch me drinking one of those anymore....what did our parents make us do when we where kids?
Old 15-01-2010, 09:53   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
YEah did used to be but not for quite some time now! Think the ice cream they serve now is Fredericks, but not 100%!...Like a nice Hot Vimto there too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 11:01   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
the best thing about Tricketts when i was little was their coke floaters....a glass of coke with ice-cream in it.....wouldn't catch me drinking one of those anymore....what did our parents make us do when we where kids?
You mean they took you kicking and screaming and said you will drink your coke and ice cream
Old 15-01-2010, 11:06   #38
God Member

my mum wasn't one for going to cafe's so i suppose that was supposed to be like a treat
Old 23-03-2010, 10:36   #39
Senior Member+

Poor stallholders! This is how the Market Hall looks today. The stallholders are slowly being turfed out of their "home" and are having to move all their "possessions" to a temporary stall.
But ... will it all be worth it???
A friend of mine lives in Bury, where their market is buzzing. Coachloads of visitors turn up on a weekly basis. Perhaps our Council should go on a coach trip to Bury and find out what we are "missing" in Accrington.
How sad is the Market Hall now to go in!
Old 23-03-2010, 10:52   #40

Thanks for the photos, the big advantage for Bury is the fact that they have the indoor market hall, the food hall and the out door market all grouped together and then surrounded by shops as well as the interchange being a few yards away
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 11:21   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Thanks for the photos, the big advantage for Bury is the fact that they have the indoor market hall, the food hall and the out door market all grouped together and then surrounded by shops as well as the interchange being a few yards away
Sounds pretty much like the set up in Accrington, about ten years ago, when our markets were still thriving.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 11:35   #42
God Member

Just out of interest, is there a lift going up to the upper floor?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 11:37   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Just out of interest, is there a lift going up to the upper floor?

I think there is
Old 23-03-2010, 11:40   #44
Give, give, give member

There is a lift.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 21:00   #45
Senior Member+

Market Hall Refurbishment

View taken this morning, from front side door, nearest to Slingers butchers. There suddenly seems to be a lot of activity and a lot of new stalls are suddenly "springing up" - hopefully some of the stallholders will be given a permanent site soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15th April 2010 Market Hall.jpg (260.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 15-04-2010 at 21:03.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..