Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2010, 17:29   #166
Junior Member+

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Traders are not happy at all at being dictated to. They are only just managimg 4 - 5 days . no one is taking into acount that they run these buisness as sole traders. Even alot of the new traders on the new balcony are not willing to do 6 days

Last edited by Baconman; 14-08-2010 at 17:35.
Baconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2010, 17:32   #167
Senior Member+

You cannot be serious!!
Thats awful! This needs taking up, officially!
Graham! Where are you!!!!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 17:36   #168
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
You cannot be serious!!
If you mean the person who is leading the campaign for the Market Hall traders being forced to open six days a week, that person being the son of our Council Leader, Cllr. Britcliffe, I'm afraid it is sadly true.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 19:59   #169
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If you mean the person who is leading the campaign for the Market Hall traders being forced to open six days a week, that person being the son of our Council Leader, Cllr. Britcliffe, I'm afraid it is sadly true.
Are you sure, could he have spawned a son.
Any way I thought there were laws about a 5 day working week in this country, or is Britcliffe land a separate sovereign state.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 20:08   #170
Senior Member+

Quote:
Was it his Son that was running the Cafe up Infant Street that PB owns?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 20:51   #171
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Was it his Son that was running the Cafe up Infant Street that PB owns?

Best Regards - Taggy

Apparently.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 21:34   #172
Senior Member+

Quote:
Apparently.
Be interesting to know how many bids were put in for that unit!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 14-08-2010, 23:17   #173
God Member

Quote:
They don't.

That's down to me, and a few others, that live in his ward.

Or unless the balance of power changes, and his party don't have a workable majority, helped and aided by a monkey in Mayoral chains.
If he is doing such a bad job why has he not been voted out of office before now??? It is all good and well that he is a good/great councillor for his ward and so are many within the borough (within their own wards). Seems to me that all our elected councillors are only interested in their own domains. Sorry but Hyndburn/ Accrington/ Rishton/ Great Harwood, should all be working together for the better of the voting public. Certain areas of the borough are being left to rot and it is wrong on all fronts.Would love to see a solution but whilst certain areas (and nobody looking around can say it is just ossy) are getting the majority of funding, what chance of the deprived areas got???
Time the lot of you reading this and elected to represent us pulled together but ain't holding my breath
Old 14-08-2010, 23:43   #174
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
If he is doing such a bad job why has he not been voted out of office before now??? It is all good and well that he is a good/great councillor for his ward and so are many within the borough (within their own wards). Seems to me that all our elected councillors are only interested in their own domains. Sorry but Hyndburn/ Accrington/ Rishton/ Great Harwood, should all be working together for the better of the voting public. Certain areas of the borough are being left to rot and it is wrong on all fronts.Would love to see a solution but whilst certain areas (and nobody looking around can say it is just ossy) are getting the majority of funding, what chance of the deprived areas got???
Time the lot of you reading this and elected to represent us pulled together but ain't holding my breath
I hava a feeling this is PB's last term in Office!!

Best Regards - Taggy!
Old 15-08-2010, 01:45   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Tell you what, Mr T, you'd love the Micro Brewery Bar in Manc Market with its constantly changing selection of real ales and ciders. If they got summat like that in Accy Market, it might at least lift the atmosphere somewhat!
I've lived in Manchester for 2 years now and never tried it finding it rather expensive compared to the Real Ale pubs that have(thankfully) started to pop up around town. Is it really worth it ?

I do believe Real Ale is the best way to keep the pub business alive - bottled ale just doesn't taste right, you can only get good ale in a pub.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 04:50   #176
God Member

just an observation by an interested outsider , seems to me all monies spent on the refurbishments of the Market Hall, (which from earlier posts suggest it's now becoming a "performing arts space" and a retirement piggy bank) and the Ossy Civic theatre would have been better spent on refurbishing the Old Accy Con club as a centralized and bigger Arts/Theare center to serve the whole Borough and draw in folks from neighbouring Boroughs. Have I not read in previous posts that HBC have the powers to take control of abandoned terraced properties , do the same laws not apply to abandoned commercial properties under "eminant domain" laws.
But there again , having 2 performance arts sites means having 2 sets of "Arts" consultants/site managers/cleaners etc. all on feeding on the HBC/Govt. trough .... suppose it creates employment .
yep I'm a cynic
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 05:30   #177
Resting in Peace

They have just spent £2m on refurbishments of the market hall and when i was in the other day there is a big notice on one of the stalls closed due to flooding due to rain water
I see they did a good job
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 05:50   #178
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
When do the residents of Hyndburn get the chamce to vote PB out of office?
May 2014. He was re voted back in May 2010
Old 15-08-2010, 05:57   #179
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
just an observation by an interested outsider , seems to me all monies spent on the refurbishments of the Market Hall, (which from earlier posts suggest it's now becoming a "performing arts space" and a retirement piggy bank) and the Ossy Civic theatre would have been better spent on refurbishing the Old Accy Con club as a centralized and bigger Arts/Theare center to serve the whole Borough and draw in folks from neighbouring Boroughs.
I don't understand why something has to be in Accrington to be classed as for the whole Borough?

The Civic Theatre needed a lot of work doing to it and this appears to be a good way to do it. Without investment it would have become another crumbling public building for people to moan about the Council neglecting. It looks like HBC are damned if they do and damned if they dont by many on here.

Last edited by Neil; 15-08-2010 at 07:35. Reason: typo very nicely pointed out to me :)
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 06:50   #180
God Member

so if they HAVE to work 6 days when do they get to go to the cash n carry for their stock?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..