Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 18:26   #751
Give, give, give member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
May we enquire as to where you stand on this?
Oh I'm sure he'd miss it.

He's always to be seen in there.

Crochet hook in hand.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2010, 18:27   #752
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
To be honest Barrie I'll let you draw your own conclusions, I was merely quoting the Leader of the Council yesterday.

I share your opinion regarding Tesco and they are all widely regarded as instigating the death of the town market, no one is taken in by this.
Does your response indicate that you did not challenge the statement but merely accepted it.
If that is the case, why did you not challenge the statement?
Old 09-11-2010, 18:31   #753
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Does your response indicate that you did not challenge the statement but merely accepted it.
In his defence, not that he needs it, but I don't think he's online, he only became elected to the council in May, predating the planning approval Tesco was given, by some time.

Old 09-11-2010, 18:35   #754
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
May we enquire as to where you stand on this?
Of course you may.
Old 09-11-2010, 18:37   #755
Give, give, give member

Quote:
From 2008...

All systems go for new Tesco - Accrington Observer

Although Tesco failed to come up with the correct number of local jobs promised, they did stump up the million quid bung, whoops, the 'one million pound for regenerating Accrington town centre'.

Was this figure, of a million punds, ever increased?

Perhaps one of our councillors could inform us of the amount Tesco donated?

Old 09-11-2010, 18:56   #756
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Er...give us a clue, Miss Liza Goddard.

Accrington was never reliant on just one mill owner, or even just one trade, unlike some other places, so that can't be applicable to the logic or observation.
Oh Dear...now you are getting confused.

Your original reference was to that of the 'Truck' system, where factory owners paid their employees in tokens that could only be spent in the the factory shop. The first act partially outlawing this in 1725, followed by the major one in 1831 - that was under the reign of William IV. There were two subsequent acts in the 1880/90's but they were only clearing up odd bits.

So when Victoria began her reign in 1837 there was little left of trucking; growing cotton towns - and other industrial towns throughout the UK - began to develop their market centres. Accy market hall and it's immeadiate market area is a classic example of this; lots of competing stall holders . Practically every other town in England was the same.

I quote from you..'in the future, towns will become like the old Victorian mill towns, where the only shop was also owned by the mill owner. Who basically had their workers over a barrel, as they had no choice where to spend their wages, other than paying it back to the already wealthy industrialst's shop till'

No doubt some mill owners will have owned shops in Accy and places like it but by Victoria's reign most people were paid in hard earned cash and were free to spend it as they wished - and that is why Accy town centre developed as it did.

Garinda, you either need to take a chill pill or alternatively join the thread on floating lead coffins; whatever, please leave the history stuff to the experts.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-11-2010 at 19:00.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 19:20   #757
Give, give, give member

Towns like Saltaire, Meltham, Bournville, Poundsbury, Port Sunlight, Copely, Akroydon and Creswell, etc., etc., all flourished at the height of the industrial revolution, under the reign of Victoria.

The workers were employed by the sole factory, paid rent to live in the houses owned by that one company, and shoped in the stores owned by that factory/mill owner.

The result being, there was really very little choice of option.

Anyway, Mr. Picky, we digress.

Soon this country will be carved up, and each area will have it's own superstore.

Result?

No competition, and therefore no choice, and because there is no one else, no real value for money.

Like it or not, most businesses in Accrington fear that by having a town centre superstore, such as Tesco, that it will adversely affect their trade, and could see them cease trading altogether.

There is only so much money to go around.

Superstores are fine, if they are out of town, and if people have so little time that they like doing all their shopping in one place, and all their money into the pockets of just one owner.

Old 09-11-2010, 19:28   #758
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Garinda, you either need to take a chill pill or alternatively join the thread on floating lead coffins; whatever, please leave the history stuff to the experts.
Being so much younger than yourself, and you having kept company of many an old queen, perhaps even the great Queen Empress Victoria, herself. I feel suitably humbled by your greather historical knowledge.

Good luck in the Accy Web quiz.

God willing, with the right wind behind you, may you one day be lucky enough to win it.

Old 09-11-2010, 19:38   #759
Give, give, give member

Quote:
chill pill
'Chill pill'?

Who taught you that phrase, Plato, in his Academy?

Old 09-11-2010, 19:39   #760
God Member

Quote:
Towns like Saltaire, Meltham, Bournville, Poundsbury, Port Sunlight, Copely, Akroydon and Creswell, etc., etc., all flourished at the height of the industrial revolution, under the reign of Victoria.

The workers were employed by the sole factory, paid rent to live in the houses owned by that one company, and shoped in the stores owned by that factory/mill owner.

Yep..the likes of Titus Salt and the Quakers certainly looked after their workers. Subsidised superior housing, free education for the kids, healthcare...but no pubs. Still, they were paid in cash and they had the option as to spend their money in the company shops or not. And of course, they were an exception - no wonder there was a waiting list to join them.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-11-2010 at 19:46.
Old 09-11-2010, 19:43   #761
God Member

Quote:
Being so much younger than yourself, and you having kept company of many an old queen, perhaps even the great Queen Empress Victoria, herself. I feel suitably humbled by your greather historical knowledge.

Good luck in the Accy Web quiz.

God willing, with the right wind behind you, may you one day be lucky enough to win it.

Yeah..I certainly need it in the quiz. Maybe I should get a new mouse to speed up my reaction time in answering questions or maybe I should spend a few hours a day watching Corrie and similar rubbish and listening to earache in order to try and get half the questions right.
Old 09-11-2010, 20:09   #762
Senior Member+

Quote:
Garinda, you either need to take a chill pill or alternatively join the thread on floating lead coffins
Tealeaf, I hope you're not suggesting the 'floating lead coffins' thread is inhabited by some lunatic fringe? Unkind! Maybe true, but unkind.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 09-11-2010 at 20:13.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 20:19   #763
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Tealeaf, I hope you're not suggesting the 'floating lead coffins' thread is inhabited by some lunatic fringe? Unkind!
Certainly not, Gordon. But Garinda is a difficult man to put down. He's a bit like one of these characters in an Xbox computer game - you know the one I mean - the Cannibal Zombies. However much you blow them away and think they've gone for good then suddenly up they pop and wallop! They're trying to take a bite out yer leg. That's why I thought it would be better for him to go elsewhere just for a bit and see how he goes on with a few mathematical conindrums, instead of trying to talk about history - of which he knows nowt.
Old 09-11-2010, 20:25   #764

If you’ve never had the pleasure of reading “The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists” by Robert Tressell, here’s a succinct excerpt that explained more to me about how the world works than school ever did.
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...k.html&h=fe5b9

Think you will find this explains what garinda is saying.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 20:32   #765
God Member

I've just read it; can't see 'owt about Accy Market Hall. Is it in another chapter; if so, what page?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..