Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2011, 15:18   #1396
Senior Member+

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Just to clarify the issue, they have swapped over, Infant St is now Coffe Beanz and Market Hall is now Milly's
I was just about to post the same thing Dave, i've been in the Market Hall today & saw the Cafe upstairs has now become Milly's. Seems an unusual situation i must say!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2011, 15:22   #1397
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Taggy if any off um had experience at running a successful business they wouldn't make such stupid decisions, its jobs for the boys matey. It was a different kettle of fish when I started out in local politics people didn't get paid, but got involved to try and make a difference, not how much they could make out of doing the job, which seems the bee hole and end hole these days, which was highlighted by the parliamentary expenses scandal. Okay times have changed, but I actually think its time to go the whole hog with local government and make being a councillor a full time job, cut down on numbers and make it attractive for people with a bit of nous to get involved, then we might see our Town Halls being run effectively. Lets face it councils employ officers on quite good salaries, who are answerable to part time political activist, not a great recipe for success is it
Couldn't agree more Jaysay, certainly something of the value & importance to the town as the Market Hall needs to be run on a much more professional basis than it seems to be as things stand!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 15:35   #1398
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
They should seek advice and guidance from officers (in this case the Markets Manager), who are professionally experienced in running markets.

One of the downsides of Cabinet government is that it makes the Councillor the mouthpiece of the Council, rather than the Chief Officer. In the past, it would be the Officer answering the questions about where the crib should be placed, or when the market should be opened. It gave gravitas to the Council's position, because it always appeared that the situation was under the control of someone who knew what they were talking about, and was above petty party politics.

Too often when the Councillor speaks, their shortcomings are too well known by the listener, and nowadays, the officers are faceless backroom boys and girls.

Who, for example knows the name of the Market Manager? Or his boss the Town Centre Manager? Or HIS boss the Head of Regeneration and Housing Services? Or, for that matter, the Chief Executive?

In days gone by, they would be household names in the local press.
As far as i'm aware i believe it was Claire Pritchard's decision that the Santa's Grotto had to be placed in this location, the Market Superintendent i believe was happy for it to be accommodated elsewhere, as were other stallholders.

The Crib i believe will still be outside as per usual.

Surely "Historically" though didn't Santa's Groto always used to be in the Arndale Centre? At least there it wouldn't interfere with anyone's business, but i dare say the owners of the centre would want the going rent for it.

Be interesting to see how popular the Grotto actually is, because looking at its varied opening hours printed in the Observer it seems to be operating for half a day on Saturday's with a nice long break inbetween to accommodate the Councellors lunch break!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 19:49   #1399
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
As far as i'm aware i believe it was Claire Pritchard's decision that the Santa's Grotto had to be placed in this location, the Market Superintendent i believe was happy for it to be accommodated elsewhere, as were other stallholders.

The Crib i believe will still be outside as per usual.

Surely "Historically" though didn't Santa's Groto always used to be in the Arndale Centre? At least there it wouldn't interfere with anyone's business, but i dare say the owners of the centre would want the going rent for it.

Be interesting to see how popular the Grotto actually is, because looking at its varied opening hours printed in the Observer it seems to be operating for half a day on Saturday's with a nice long break inbetween to accommodate the Councellors lunch break!!

Best Regards - Taggy
I hope there's no drunks frolicking in the vicinity of Santa's grotto.

Some bright spark might have it removed as an 'experiment', to see if it stops the inebriated acting the goat, and causing a nuisance in the vicinity.

Before it being damaged in transit, and them having to phone up their gypsy friends, and tell them to come and take it away, on the back of their wagon.

Ho, ho, no.

Last edited by garinda; 26-11-2011 at 19:51.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 21:36   #1400
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I hope there's no drunks frolicking in the vicinity of Santa's grotto.

Some bright spark might have it removed as an 'experiment', to see if it stops the inebriated acting the goat, and causing a nuisance in the vicinity.

Before it being damaged in transit, and them having to phone up their gypsy friends, and tell them to come and take it away, on the back of their wagon.

Ho, ho, no.

Don't know about acting the Goat but apparently Santa is bringing live Reindeer next week! Just hope none of the Councellors imbide too much on their extended lunch hours once its in situ...otherwise Rudolph won't be the only one with a red nose!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 22:01   #1401
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Don't know about acting the Goat but apparently Santa is bringing live Reindeer next week! Just hope none of the Councellors imbide too much on their extended lunch hours once its in situ...otherwise Rudolph won't be the only one with a red nose!

Best Regards - Taggy
Oh I can't wait to come to the grotto.

Only three quid, to sit on a councillor's face.

Whoops.

Lap.

Lap, as in land.

Three quid.

Bargain.

Don't know why I mentioned face, in regards to councillors.

Unless it's something to do with some councillors having two of them.

Yo ho!

Oh.

Old 26-11-2011, 22:30   #1402
Senior Member+

Quote:
Oh I can't wait to come to the grotto.

Only three quid, to sit on a councillor's face.

Whoops.

Lap.

Lap, as in land.

Three quid.

Bargain.

Don't know why I mentioned face, in regards to councillors.

Unless it's something to do with some councillors having two of them.

Yo ho!

Oh.

Lol!! oooooh you are awful...but i like you!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 22:37   #1403
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
Perhaps our council has seen n opportunity? n are after imposing a £1000 Fine fer Reindeer Crap as well.
Old 26-11-2011, 22:39   #1404
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Perhaps our council has seen n opportunity? n are after imposing a £1000 Fine fer Reindeer Crap as well.
They will only make a profit if they crap three times
Old 26-11-2011, 22:40   #1405
Give, give, give member

If anyone gets to know the rota, when our councillors are taking it in turn to dress up as Santa, please could you let us know.

I'll happily pay to sit on 'em all.

Old 26-11-2011, 22:55   #1406
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Lol! Nice one!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 22:56   #1407
God Member

Quote:
If anyone gets to know the rota, when our councillors are taking it in turn to dress up as Santa, please could you let us know.

will it be made public ?
Old 26-11-2011, 22:59   #1408
Senior Member+

Quote:

I have a feeling they've come up with a clever disguise though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 23:07   #1409
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
will it be made public ?
People need to know which councillor they're paying to sit on.

Otherwise they might just go in there to pull them off

...and see exactly who it is, behind those beards.

Old 27-11-2011, 09:48   #1410
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
Think its a case of I'm In charge Taggy

Maybe we'll get a visit from the three wise men too, Hear All, See All, and Say Nout well they don't visit here much these days

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..