Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2010, 22:48   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Conservative candidate named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Miss Rim as we have not been formally introduced I will refrain from using your P,

Why, oh why, would the good lady of any respectable household work towards undoing all that her husband has aimed for during his career, does she not realise that he is no doubt the reason there are downtrodden in any area?

Without the downtrodden how could he keep his Mills running on starvation wages without somebody for his workers to look down on and be grateful that 'there but for the grace of God go I'.

She should be ashamed, there is a place for everyone and everyone should adhere to his/her place. I wish people would refrain from educating women who knows where this could take us?

Bring back the ducking stool & the Scold's Bridle, ahhh, now those were the days,

Yours faithfully,

Col. Buffington (rtd).

Dear Col. Buffington,
please call me Phyllida, as I feel we are now firm friends.
I agree it wouldn't be wise for every man to allow his spouse freedom from her wifely duties to her better half, and also from house and home, but those weak men who support female sufferage, and the education of the female of the species, might benefit if they accept that she has urges that need addressing, and allows her her folly into public life. The husband might indeed benefit considerably by her absence from his household, for short periods of time.
This is only an option for the very few in society, who besides a revolutionary bent, need considerable fortune to precipitate this happening.
I hope and trust your own good lady, if there is such a lucky person, isn't given such outrageous free reign.
Your affectionate friend.,
Phyllida Rim, (MISS)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2010, 23:11   #47
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I hope and trust your own good lady, if there is such a lucky person, isn't given such outrageous free reign.
Your affectionate friend.,
Phyllida Rim, (MISS)
My Dear Miss Phyllida,

it is with heavy heart that I have to tell you, I am a widower.

I blame myself, if only instead of insisting that she must do all that is necessary around the home and I'd got a man in she would not have dug the footings for our new patio and Conservatory to such a depth, alas, the man with the premixed concrete arrived early and she didn't get out of the hole in time.
Still on the plus side I was able to convince the man from the co-op that the funeral insurance policy was null and void as it wasn't them that buried her.
He finally agreed and went off murmuring something about the policy unlike my wife is not cast in stone.

Well enough of my ramblings and may the prospective Conservative candidate also fill a gap that shows her worth,

Yours faithfully,

Col Buffington (rtd)

P.S. on a happy note I ended up with enough concrete left over to build a barbecue, any time your passing and fancy a nibble, please feel free to drop in.

P.P.S. Have you any D.I.Y. skills? As my sceptic tank could do with a really good clean out!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 23:49   #48
Give, give, give member

Dearest Buffy,
I have just this moment returned from the booking office at the station, and as well as arranging for my portmanteau to be collected and delivered forthwith, I myself shall be with you, down at Hardstanding Villas, by twelve noon tomorrow. I eagerly await the chance to share plesant moments with you in the conservatory, so kindly funded by your late wife's demise.
Adieu, et à demain.
Your dearest Phylli. A woman who most humbly knows her true place. x

Last edited by garinda; 13-03-2010 at 23:51.
Old 14-03-2010, 02:14   #49
God Member

just out of sheer curiosity has there ever been a poor tory candidate or even a tory candadate that hasnt pretended to be poorer than what they actualy are to try and win us poorer folks vote ( cough cameron)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by Neil; 14-03-2010 at 12:02. Reason: swearing
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 08:27   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
just out of sheer curiosity has there ever been a poor tory candidate or even a tory candadate that hasnt pretended to be poorer than what they actualy are to try and win us poorer folks vote ( cough cameron)
Ken Hargreaves wasn't.

Last edited by Neil; 14-03-2010 at 12:03. Reason: swearing in quote
Old 14-03-2010, 08:40   #51
Give, give, give member

Although fairly new to politics, it appears Karen Buckley has fought a campaign before.

Though sadly this resulted in the Conservatives losing the safe Tory seat of St. Annes North, and a seat at L.C.C.

Though I'm sure the experience will help her, in the relatively short time she'll have to canvass here in Hyndburn.

'Many thanks to all who helped to achieve this historic victory, which I believe is the first Liberal Democrat win in St.Annes North since 1927 when Alderman Charles Critchley held the seat as Leader of the old “Liberal Party” and first Mayor of Lytham St.Annes. This week’s victory is the culmination of 12 years effort over three previous attempts during which the Conservative majority has been progressively reduced from 1663 in 1993 to 488 in 2005. A massive swing of 12% this time produced a solid Liberal Democrat majority of almost 550.Special thanks are due to the Chairman of the local party, John Graddon, Campaign Manager Tony Ford and Agent Anne Fielding. The result of the Lancashire County Council election for St.Annes North was:

Howard Henshaw Liberal Democrats 2049
Karen Buckley Conservatives 1502
Bill Whitehead UKIP 614
Peter Stephenson Labour 296
Majority 547
Turnout 42.36% '
Howard Henshaw | Liberal Democrat Group Leader and Councillor for St Leonards Ward and Lancashire County Councillor for St Annes North

Old 14-03-2010, 09:09   #52
Give, give, give member

'The days of someone from London pitching up six weeks before an election are long gone' “Now we have local candidates, who have been preparing to be MPs for years.”

'Tories are winning over East Lancashire', Hague claims (From Lancashire Telegraph)

I suppose little William Hague was half right, as it was the imposed list that pitched up from London, and the candidate was bussed into Hyndburn from wealthy Lytham St. Annes, a reported six weeks before the election.

Old 14-03-2010, 09:29   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ken Hargreaves wasn't.

To his credit he was more 'Open All Hours', than 'To The Manor Born.'

Old 14-03-2010, 10:13   #54
Give, give, give member

KAREN BUCKLEY
Ready to serve and represent the people of Accrington, Clayton Le Moors, Great Harwood, Haslingden, Oswaldtwistle and Rishton.
Karen Buckley - Conservative PPC for Hyndburn

Should the people of Church, Baxenden, and Altham be worried that they're not going to have a voice down in Westminster?

Last edited by Neil; 14-03-2010 at 12:19. Reason: unable to read link because of colour
Old 14-03-2010, 10:25   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Perhaps this was poor Janet Storey's downfall.

She didn't know a lacrosse stick, from a jolly hockey one, and the interviewers were looking for someone who'll know how to drop a nice curtsy, when required.

Academically I wouldn't rate Queen Mary's as one of the better girl's schools in the northwest, but they do turn out very nicely brought up young ladies for the wealthy residents of Lytham St. Annes.

If they laid on some nice cucumber sandwiches for today's interviews, you can bet she nibbled daintly.

Perhaps some more down to earth candidates guzzled them off the floor, and therefore blew their chances.
This is the only post I will make on this thread, as I couldn't care less who is the candidate for reasons previously stated. If I had had a vote I would not have opted for Janet either for one reason, she never canvases, in fact she takes her annual holidays every year the last two weeks in April during the election campaign. Years ago when I moved back to Hyndburn after living in Haslingden for a few years, I was targeted to stand for election in Immanuel Ward in the 1988 local election, which I refused, due to my health problems, because I was unable to canvas and deliver leaflets. I was told that it would be done for me, I could just sit back and let others do the work. At the time I said if some one came knocking at my door and asked if I would vote for John Farrer my question would have been, why is John Farrer not asking me himself. I have no doubt that I could have done the job as a councillor dealing with problems going to meetings etc., but if you can't earn the right to undertake the job under your own steam, sorry your not electable in my eyes, its all about those principles of mine, this is another one
Old 14-03-2010, 10:28   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
This is the only post I will make on this thread, as I couldn't care less who is the candidate for reasons previously stated. If I had had a vote I would not have opted for Janet either for one reason, she never canvases, in fact she takes her annual holidays every year the last two weeks in April during the election campaign. Years ago when I moved back to Hyndburn after living in Haslingden for a few years, I was targeted to stand for election in Immanuel Ward in the 1988 local election, which I refused, due to my health problems, because I was unable to canvas and deliver leaflets. I was told that it would be done for me, I could just sit back and let others do the work. At the time I said if some one came knocking at my door and asked if I would vote for John Farrer my question would have been, why is John Farrer not asking me himself. I have no doubt that I could have done the job as a councillor dealing with problems going to meetings etc., but if you can't earn the right to undertake the job under your own steam, sorry your not electable in my eyes, its all about those principles of mine, this is another one
It's good to hear that poor Janet wasn't successful just because she wasn't as posh as Karen, but other issues also came into play.

Old 14-03-2010, 10:29   #57
JFT96

Well she looks a bit like another Hazel Blears, I just hope she does not start waving a cheque about!!!!

It seems that Conservative Central Office have kind of lost the plot, a woman....she is a solicitor, as such detached from normal life (look at the justice system)......and not even living in the borough. This sort of party arrogance really gets me, I am sure she is very nice, but what does she really know about Hyndburn?

Looks like Graham might win it then, he is local, he takes a local interest.
I wish him the very best of luck.

Looks like I will be voting monster raving loony then, as the Tories cannot be bothered to find a local candidate who understands local issues.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 11:22   #58
God Member

I think the candidate should be chosen on merit, rather than the sole attribute that they're from the constituency. Yes it plays a part, but it's not the only part. There have been many good constituency MPs that have come from much further a distance from the area they represent than Karen Buckley has, and have far fewer links.

If a candidate is good and moves into the constituency, they'll be involved and interested in local issues whether they're originally from the area or not.
Old 14-03-2010, 11:35   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
It seems that Conservative Central Office have kind of lost the plot, a woman....she is a solicitor, as such detached from normal life (look at the justice system)......and not even living in the borough. This sort of party arrogance really gets me, I am sure she is very nice, but what does she really know about Hyndburn?

Looks like Graham might win it then, he is local, he takes a local interest.
I wish him the very best of luck.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the locals in Hyndburn prefer a local candidate, who they've had a chance to see working locally for a long time, or someone shipped in from outside, who'll they'll only have a few weeks getting to know.

Old 14-03-2010, 11:40   #60
God Member

i suppose its a big help that graham knows what areas hes expected to cover lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..