Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2010, 08:36   #46
God Member

Re: This Co-ilition seems to be working.

Why is everyone getting so upset about the decision to free these guys? Afterall, it is we the taxpayers who - despite all the likely restrictions on spending in the NHS, Education, Policing - have still managed to find the money to fund their successful appeal.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-05-2010, 08:40   #47
Beacon of light

Yes and we will be paying for this so called monitoring while ever they are permitted to stay. Galling isn't it?
Perhaps we should let these two guys chosse........either you go home to Pakistan and take your chances or you can face a firing squad here.
I think that would galvanize them into some sort of action.....but it would offend the blleeding heart liberals,human rights activists and the do-gooders.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 08:51   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I like Dem Cons as well. And you probably made that one up yourself. I got mine of Facebook.
So thats where you've been hiding for the last few months, unable to comment on the out going shower of yours
Old 19-05-2010, 09:00   #49
Resting in Peace

Re: Another kick in the teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I have to disagree with this, particularly on the question of delivering a person into the probability of torture. I am able to express my opinion in a public forum because I have the advantage, as do you, of living in a civilised, democratic country. And civilised, democratic countries do not hand over those in their custody and care to authorities who will torture them. The Canadian government has recently been ordered by the Speaker of the House of Commons to hand over documents relating to the transfer of Afghan detainees, by Canadian troops, to the Afghan authorities. They were tortured by the Afghani military and police. This is a major crisis for the tories. The Minister of Defence, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs could be found in contempt of Parliament for trying to cover up ... but, to cut a long story short, civilised nations do not hand over people to torture.
People who live by the sword die by the sword, they don't give a toss when they are bowing up tube trains and buses, in the name of Al-Qaeda, why should we keep them here (and I mean keep them) if they had been decent law abiding citizens they'd be welcome, they're not so sod of and suffer the consequences
Old 19-05-2010, 09:01   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I have to disagree with this, particularly on the question of delivering a person into the probability of torture. I am able to express my opinion in a public forum because I have the advantage, as do you, of living in a civilised, democratic country. And civilised, democratic countries do not hand over those in their custody and care to authorities who will torture them. The Canadian government has recently been ordered by the Speaker of the House of Commons to hand over documents relating to the transfer of Afghan detainees, by Canadian troops, to the Afghan authorities. They were tortured by the Afghani military and police. This is a major crisis for the tories. The Minister of Defence, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs could be found in contempt of Parliament for trying to cover up ... but, to cut a long story short, civilised nations do not hand over people to torture.
To these monsters,innocent Men,Women,Children, of any colour.religion, are Legitimate Targets, i had a brief period of thinking your way Eric, it was the Summer Of Love, Ganja played a significant part,I was in my Teens, WHats Your Excuse?
Old 19-05-2010, 09:04   #51
Resting in Peace

Re: This Coalition seems to be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes and we will be paying for this so called monitoring while ever they are permitted to stay. Galling isn't it?
Perhaps we should let these two guys choose........either you go home to Pakistan and take your chances or you can face a firing squad here.
I think that would galvanize them into some sort of action.....but it would offend the blleeding heart liberals,human rights activists and the do-gooders.
Half of which sit on the judiciary benches throughout the country
Old 19-05-2010, 09:36   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Half of which sit on the judiciary benches throughout the country
...and quite a lot who sit in the present government!
Old 19-05-2010, 09:41   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...and quite a lot who sit in the present government!
Every Government
Old 19-05-2010, 10:21   #54
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Every Government
It's the government that's in now that counts - ie, your lot!
Old 19-05-2010, 10:28   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's the government that's in now that counts - ie, your lot!
Well seeing they're only in their second day, I think I'll give um to the end of the week Wyn
Old 19-05-2010, 10:39   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Paris has just e-mailed the Home office, lets hope many do also.
Old 19-05-2010, 10:48   #57
Beacon of light

Put Teresa Mays Website up purely for that purpose.

And to Eric I would say......do you mind then if we send these wannabe terrorist to you then?

I think the mind set changed quite a lot after the 7/7 bombings.

You have great difficulty in controlling an enemy(and that is what these young men are) who has an outpost in the heart of your country.
Theresa May MP here it is again for those who missed it.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-05-2010 at 10:52.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 10:56   #58
Give, give, give member

She may walk the walk, but Theresa May certainly doesn't talk the talk.

Definitely less a big cat, and more of a pussy, when it comes to standing up for what the vast majority of Britain expects of her.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 13:45   #59

Quote:
From their inception, civilized democratic nations have condemned torture. The rejection of torture as a means of interrogation is the seed of the Fifth Ammendment to the American Constitution. However, my bottom line is: handing over anyone, guilty or innocent, to torture is wrong. Throw them in the slammer for the rest of their born natural, I don't care; but, torture, no.
Perhaps we should set them free to carry on their lifes work. Next time they may kill someone close to you or someone you know. Were you ever in the forces or been in harms way. Maybe then you would have a different point of view. Like they say. If you cant stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them
Old 19-05-2010, 18:54   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To these monsters,innocent Men,Women,Children, of any colour.religion, are Legitimate Targets, i had a brief period of thinking your way Eric, it was the Summer Of Love, Ganja played a significant part,I was in my Teens, WHats Your Excuse?
Absolutely nothing to do with the Summer of Love ... it's just that I'm opposed to torture ... particularly as these days torture is used not necessarily to gain information, but for the entertainment of the torturer ... and one needs no excuse at all to hold the position that torture is wrong, and according to various international conventions ... the Geneva Convention comes to mind ... illegal. For example, not only is it illegal for Canadian soldiers to torture Afghani detainees, it also contravenes International, and Canadian laws to hand over detainees into the custody of those who it is believed will torture them. And so, after that brief period of thinking, you have lapsed into an ill thought out knee jerk reaction mode which is willing to sacrifice basic humanity for a little vengence. Maybe the authorities over there could save themselves a little money and do the torturing themselves ... put it on tv so that everyone can share the fun.

Terrorists and other assorted scumbags are a fact of life in these troubled times. When they break the law; they should be tried and punished according to the law.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..