Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance
Yes 1 8.33%
No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2014, 10:21   #256
Senior Member+

Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It will be good to get back to some semblance of normality....without all the media obsession on polls and who is going to vote which way.
In fact this mornings news is becoming tedious with the usual overkill.
I must have referendum fatigue.
It's not just you with "referendum fatigue" M

image.jpg

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2014, 10:32   #257
Senior Member+

My friend from Lockerbie phoned this morning.
He is delighted with the result of the referendum.
His description of Alex Salmond is not printable.
Old 19-09-2014, 10:53   #258
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
My friend from Lockerbie phoned this morning.
He is delighted with the result of the referendum.
His description of Alex Salmond is not printable.
His opinion of that man must be similar to mine though I would try to find some polite language to describe him.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:19   #259
Senior Member+

I'm sure he would use respectable words if it was printed or spoken to people he didn't know.
He is a very articulate gentleman with a masters degree in criminology.
He likens Salmond to Hitler and feared for the outcome if he had got the yes vote.
Old 19-09-2014, 11:22   #260
Senior Member+

Say what you will about Salmond...at the end of the day, he was right........

.....Scotland can still use the pound after the voting

password--Accyweb
Old 19-09-2014, 11:30   #261
Beacon of light

They can only use the pound because they have not separated themselves from the Union.
Had they voted for independence then it would have been a matter of conjecture as to what currency was used.
I think that perhaps the uncertainty about currency was one of the things that made the vote go the way it did.
Alex Salmond could not give answers that satisfied the Scottish people that their money would be safe.
Old 19-09-2014, 11:45   #262
God Member

So this is how it ends ... not with a bang, but with a whimper ... and the hollow men on both sides claim victory.

If I had been evil enough in a previous lifetime to have been born Scottish in this one, I would have voted "yes." Common sense and caution vs a willingness to embrace an adventure ... ennui vs excitement ... and boredom wins out.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:48   #263
Senior Member+

I've lost what bit of interest I had now,I think it's time he shuts up and puts up,he'll probably be quietly planning his retirement from politics anyway. He has previously hinted that, what with his 60th birthday looming ever closer, he was never going to be around for 'years to come' regardless of the result of the 'neverendum'

password--Accyweb
Old 19-09-2014, 12:02   #264
God Member

would it be too soon to ask if we can have a referendum now seen as the scotts got one i think it only fair we get one now

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:26   #265
Full Member+

Cool Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
would it be too soon to ask if we can have a referendum now seen as the scotts got one i think it only fair we get one now
I argree Accyman, the north should be separated from the south. Everything seems to be syphoned off down there. I'm surprised they haven't built a modern version of Hadrian's wall to keep us from the wealth and prosperity they seem to enjoy down there.
Old 19-09-2014, 12:35   #266
Beacon of light

We can ask, but we must be aware that there are two answers.
The only referendum I am interested in is the one that gives us a say in that vast money gobbling monster...the United States of Europe......France wants to chuck us out anyway.
accyman likes this.
Old 19-09-2014, 12:42   #267
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I argree Accyman, the north should be separated from the south. Everything seems to be syphoned off down there. I'm surprised they haven't built a modern version of Hadrian's wall to keep us from the wealth and prosperity they seem to enjoy down there.
they havnt built a wall for the wealth they have built a bridge that goes from london right over england and into scotland

cameron in his own words has said the north is a terrible place and cant understand why anyone would live there

mind you he probbably thinks that now hes got his way with scotland and his bribe has been accepted he will have softened scottish hearts and they will now start voting for him in general elections.

i think hes going to be in for a shock

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:44   #268
God Member

I suspect that the reason the No campaign went into overdrive at the eleventh hour was -
Downing Street silent on Cameron?s secret Shetland visit

As usual the reason was financial

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 13:50   #269
Beacon of light

Quote:

mind you he probbably thinks that now hes got his way with scotland and his bribe has been accepted he will have softened scottish hearts and they will now start voting for him in general elections.

i think hes going to be in for a shock
I am pretty sure that David Cameron is under no illusion about what the Scottish people think of him.
When he went to speak to them he told them that although they might not like him, his name was not on the ballot paper....and that he wouldn't be here forever.
So he knows he is not liked very much.

I think that what David Cameron should be more concerned about, is how those of us in other parts of the UK feel about the 'sweeteners' doled out to bribe the scots to stay in the union.
I think the electorate are going to take a dim view of the way he was so free with his(and the other party leaders) promises.
There was a lot of old flannel about the Scottish people wanting a fairer democracy....What a load of globular objects that is.
Had the scots wanted fairer democracy they would not be so keen to hang onto the Barnett Formula......this was brought in by a labour government in 1978 as a temporary measure.....even the author of this formula says it is unsustainable and is an embarrassment. Yet it is still in place.....giving something like 1400 quid per capita of population more than in England.
Just remember this the next time you are asked to put your x in a box
Old 19-09-2014, 13:51   #270
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

Quote:
Can the rest of the UK have a referendum asking if we want Scotland?
After all the bother and the money they have wasted?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..