Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15   #1
God Member

Air fresheners

Air fresheners

I have told you before about my chemical sensitivity.
I am unable to go into any venue that uses them.
(Also, I cannot use a taxi with the windows closed, if they have a 'smelly swinging thing', and most do.
So if you see a taxi with an old biddy hanging out of the window - it's me.)

Today I have added a third venue to my local list -
1. Empire Bingo
2. Oswaldtwistle Mills
3. The Spectacle factory on Union Rd Ossy

I went to get some minor frame repairs done to two pairs of specs.
As I opened the door I gasped for breath. I managed to explain, between gasps, why I couldn't enter.
I then went for my annual dental checkup nearby, and as I waited there I wondered where else I could get the repair done.

I decided to go back and ask to be served on the pavement - the lady obliged and told me to return in 30 minutes.
The owner of the launderette opposite kindly let me sit in his place as I waited.
There was a smell of laundry detergent in there, but it was 'low level' because the louvre windows were open and no-one was actually using the machines at the time.

Guide to Less Toxic Products
Air Freshener, Deodorizer, Odour Remover

Far from freshening air, chemical-based air fresheners and deodorizers add dangerous chemicals to the air we breathe. Air fresheners work by using a nerve-deadening chemical that interferes with our sense of smell, by coating nasal passage with an oily film, by masking an offending odour with a different odour, or by deactivating the odour.

Air fresheners are made from a number of chemicals including formadehyde, a carcinogen and sensitizer, naphthalene, a suspected carcinogen, xylene, a neurotoxin and possible reproductive toxin, butane gas, a neurotoxin, cresol, ethanol, phenol and strong fragrances. Some solid deodorizers include the pesticide paradichlorobenzene, a carcinogen which can also cause liver and kidney damage. Aerosol air fresheners release chemicals as tiny particles which can be inhaled deeply into lungs and transferred into the blood stream. Plug in air fresheners break chemicals into even smaller particles.

The key to freshening air is to remove or dilute the offending odor (by cleaning, ventilation or absorption), not to cover it with another chemical.

The Canadians and some US states have legislated against the use of 'fragrances' in public buildings.

So this thread is a plea to all those who work in places where the public have access, please advise your employers of this problem, You might not be affected YET ( I have had this for 3 years only), but be aware that the effect is culmulative, so if you are exposed too much, you may end up gasping like me.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2010, 13:01   #2

Re: Air fresheners

I don't use them as standard in our retail store.

Unfortunately from time to time we get stink bombed by kids, or have a visit from those with an allergy to soap & water, but I always check with all customers in store before spraying round, you never know who has allergies, asthma etc.

When any chemical is used on business premises there has to be a Health & Safety sheet kept in a folder highlighting the risks & danger to health etc. We have them on everything including the washing-up liquid we order! May be worth checking with the offending stores to see if they are fully compliant on their Health & Safety folders!
Old 11-08-2010, 13:17   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkival View Post
I don't use them as standard in our retail store.

Unfortunately from time to time we get stink bombed by kids, or have a visit from those with an allergy to soap & water, but I always check with all customers in store before spraying round, you never know who has allergies, asthma etc.

When any chemical is used on business premises there has to be a Health & Safety sheet kept in a folder highlighting the risks & danger to health etc. We have them on everything including the washing-up liquid we order! May be worth checking with the offending stores to see if they are fully compliant on their Health & Safety folders!
Thanks for that useful info - I didn't know that.

I will be websearching for the legislation, and will be writing to the Health Centre on Blackburn Rd where I go for chiropody. I get mild symptoms when there is a strong smell of the floor polish they use.

I suppose they use contract cleaners for the premises, but that shouldn't mean loss of control over the substances used.

Old 11-08-2010, 13:28   #4

Look at COSHH regulations (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) that's the specific one especially where cleaning products are concerned.
Old 11-08-2010, 14:10   #5
God Member

Thanks again - found this leaflet
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg95.pdf
It is directed at safety of employees, but will apply to safety of visitors to premises too, as all Health and Safety regs do.

I wondered why I was not aware of these COSHH regulations before, because I once was responsible for maintenance of a government building, and they were 'red hot' about conforming to safety standards.
Then I noticed that the first legislation was passed soon after I retired.

Old 11-08-2010, 17:58   #6
Resting in Peace

Air fresheners of any type are a nono for me
Old 14-08-2010, 21:40   #7
Senior Member+

Try serving the less than fragrant customers in Accy ( where the soap and now it would appear, mirror famine is obviously hitting hard). I have on more than one occasion followed a smelly round the shop and sprayed air freshener in it's wake, sadly this doesn't seem to make them even slightly embarassed , maybe their skins are as thick as the nauseating pong coming from them!
( so glad I am now out of retail!!!)
Old 14-08-2010, 21:43   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Try serving the less than fragrant customers in Accy ( where the soap and now it would appear, mirror famine is obviously hitting hard). I have on more than one occasion followed a smelly round the shop and sprayed air freshener in it's wake, sadly this doesn't seem to make them even slightly embarassed , maybe their skins are as thick as the nauseating pong coming from them!
( so glad I am now out of retail!!!)
we keep a can of Fabreze air freshener handy behind the counter
Old 15-08-2010, 07:46   #9
Give, give, give member

I hope the police are taking note.

As a stated anarchist, if the powers that be sometime in the future need to control Margaret, they don't need to go to the expense of employing Taser guns, or Mace.

One quick squirt with a pound shop air freshner and she'll come quietly.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 09:02   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I hope the police are taking note.

As a stated anarchist, if the powers that be sometime in the future need to control Margaret, they don't need to go to the expense of employing Taser guns, or Mace.

One quick squirt with a pound shop air freshner and she'll come quietly.

You recon a cheap air freshener won't stop our Margaret's tongue from wagging
Old 15-08-2010, 17:14   #11

I cant stand em, if I stink out the bathroom I open the window instead of picking up the can of fabreeze.

mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 12:02   #12
white rabbits

OOH I HAVE ONE IN EVERY ROOM,,2 IN THE BATHROOM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 19-06-2012, 13:36   #13
God Member

I have revived this old thread because there is a new development in my battle against Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.

My problem began with an air freshener overdose when, in the aftermath of the smoking ban, a social club I visited several times a week, installed numerous plug in air fresheners - 2007 (5 years ago)

In the years since, I have altered my lifesyle, to avoid ALL petrochemical products.

There was one which I overlooked - natural gas!
I did notice that I became breathless when using a frying pan, and blamed it on Tefal fumes, so I got non coated steel pans, but the breathlessness persisted.

I have websearched and found -
the health hazards of natural gas, by agnes malouf and david winberly
"The British medical journal, The Lancet, reported in1996 that the use of domestic gas appliances, particularly gas stoves, was linked to increased asthma, respiratory illness, and impaired lung function especially in young women. Women using gas stoves had double the respiratory problems of women cooking on electric stoves. The same study showed that using extractor fans which vented the cooking fumes outside did not reduce adverse effects of gas."

Today my gas cooker has been shipped out and an electric cooker shippped in.
My gas central heating boiler is in a large cupboard in the bathroom.
I may well decide to switch that off too. I have an electric shower, a dishwasher and 3 electric heaters, so lack of central heating and hot water at sink and basin is not a dramatic problem.

The adverse effects of natural gas affects anyone who has respiratory problems.
(So Jaysay please read the link)

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-06-2012 at 13:39.
Old 19-06-2012, 13:56   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have revived this old thread because there is a new development in my battle against Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.

My problem began with an air freshener overdose when, in the aftermath of the smoking ban, a social club I visited several times a week, installed numerous plug in air fresheners - 2007 (5 years ago)

In the years since, I have altered my lifesyle, to avoid ALL petrochemical products.

There was one which I overlooked - natural gas!
I did notice that I became breathless when using a frying pan, and blamed it on Tefal fumes, so I got non coated steel pans, but the breathlessness persisted.

I have websearched and found -
the health hazards of natural gas, by agnes malouf and david winberly
"The British medical journal, The Lancet, reported in1996 that the use of domestic gas appliances, particularly gas stoves, was linked to increased asthma, respiratory illness, and impaired lung function especially in young women. Women using gas stoves had double the respiratory problems of women cooking on electric stoves. The same study showed that using extractor fans which vented the cooking fumes outside did not reduce adverse effects of gas."

Today my gas cooker has been shipped out and an electric cooker shippped in.
My gas central heating boiler is in a large cupboard in the bathroom.
I may well decide to switch that off too. I have an electric shower, a dishwasher and 3 electric heaters, so lack of central heating and hot water at sink and basin is not a dramatic problem.

The adverse effects of natural gas affects anyone who has respiratory problems.
(So Jaysay please read the link)
Your gas boiler should not affect you if it is a new boiler. It will be roomed sealed with a balanced flue drawing its air from outside via the flue and sending the exhaust gases out that way.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 14:43   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Air fresheners of any type are a nono for me
Right bugerlugs, now I've got you, no more lip from you, or its 1/2 doz shots of air freshener through your letter box.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..