Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2010, 23:51   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Animating Accy

just watched it, was ok, bit too long, beats me what it will achieve? but fer 3K, worth a shot IMHO. P.S. the cynic in me, wonders who chose the businesses to promote n by what criteria?

Last edited by cashman; 23-10-2010 at 23:56.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2010, 07:15   #92
God Member

Lindsay:

I can agree with the main thrust of your posts, particularly the bit about life being too short.
However, because life is so short, I think it is imperative that we seek to make the very best of what we have and ensure that what we pass on to the next generation is improved by our stewardship rather than diminished by it.
The carping and complaints surrounding this 13 minute video may be seen by some as a storm in a tea-cup whipped up by people who have little better with which to occupy themselves, and part of me would agree with that proposition; any argument is better than none if you are bored. But I also think that those who serve the public and administer the public purse must at all times be prepared to give a full accounting of their actions conducted in the public interest. To do otherwise leaves the door wide open to dictatorship.
If we are to avoid the creation of, and the evils inherant in the dictatorship of a cultural or poilitcal elite then we must be perpetually on our guard. As Edmund Burke helpfully points out: ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing.’
The discussion on this particular thread may seem, on the face of it, nothing more than petty carping over a ha'porth of tar, but it goes further and deeper than that. Indeed, it goes to the heart of the democratic process itself. At a time when all areas of public expenditure are being subjected to scrutiny and the need for a pound's expenditure to represent a pound's value and worth can hardly be more pressing, it is not surprising that the hardpressed taxpayer should question those in public life who hand out public money like some latterday Bourbon king.
Gayle may be very good at what she does, though personally, I have yet to be convinced. We cannot have someone dispensing public money whenever and wherever she sees fit and prancing around Hyndburn like the Mother Theresa of the arts world without reference to the taxpayer. Because in the end, one way or another, wherever this money is sourced it comes ultimately from us, the taxpayer.
And, even Mother Theresa was accountable to the Vatican.
Garinda, not unreasonably and not impolitely, has asked where the funding for three community arts projects came from. I will now add my name to that request, and I strongly urge others to do the same.
Old 24-10-2010, 08:38   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just watched it, was ok, bit too long, beats me what it will achieve? but fer 3K, worth a shot IMHO. P.S. the cynic in me, wonders who chose the businesses to promote n by what criteria?
You a cynic cashy, never
Old 24-10-2010, 13:52   #94
God Member

Earlier in the thread Gayle said that she had received some emails regarding the video. One she quoted reads as follows:-

"We were all very impressed with this.
Do you know who ‘owns’ it and whether it would be OK for us to show it in the public area at the police station?" Sgt at Accrington Police Station

I have to ask, since no one else appears to have noticed this, wtf are the Police doing watching video's on the the internet and playing them in the public area of the police station. Do they reallly have so little with which to occupy themselves? And if they find this video so impressive what does that tell you about their taste and discernment? I note that the request comes not from an ordinary plod but from a sergeant if you please. If you ask me, somebody needs to take a closer look at the accounts of Lancashire Constabulary, to see what other of life's little luxuries they are indulging in at public expense.

More fois gras Chief Constable?

Oh Lord, I suppose so. But is that really all there is?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 24-10-2010 at 13:54.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 13:58   #95
God Member

Maybe they will use the video as a form of torture in extracting confessions from the local villains.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 15:10   #96
Senior Member+

Oh I dunno. I just watched it and it made me giggle here and there. I think for the most part that is I am going to force members of my gaming community that live down south to watch this video

Tags
accrington, accy, map

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..