Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2010, 20:06   #31
God Member

Re: The value of public funded art

It shouldn't be funded by anyone, if they want to be an artist then make something, if its any good it will sell, can agree with a grant or something to get them started but thats about it.
Most of its just junk and worth a few quid not 1000's

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2010, 20:10   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Lottery funding is not the answer. I personally would rather see lotto funds going to, sports centres,keeping kids fit and healthy, and care for the frail,disabled and elderly folk.

If you are so artistic you make your own way
So would I, fill a form in and away you go.

Was I a little harsh? Sorry if I was but I am fed up hearing people moan about what lottery money should and should not be spent on and then do nothing about it.

Gayle played a major part in securing £100,000 for Rhyddings Park. No not for arty stuff but for a multi use games area to give the teenagers somewhere safe to go and hopefully keep a few more off the streets.

Is that ok?
Old 20-10-2010, 20:11   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
It shouldn't be funded by anyone, if they want to be an artist then make something, if its any good it will sell, can agree with a grant or something to get them started but thats about it.
Most of its just junk and worth a few quid not 1000's
The grant is not so they can make something though as I see it.
It is so a community group (or however secured the funding) can employ the artist to do a job that the group want doing. Not just for the sake of art.
Old 20-10-2010, 21:11   #34
God Member

Who paid for Ossy War Memorial? The one in Oak Hill Park? Gatty Park? Excepting the Tiffany Collection, those are our best artworks in Hyndburn.....none of which were paid by government funding.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 21:11   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I agree with you on every one of those points.

But if you don't care about what lottery funding is spent on, why do you continue to keep making pops at the film and crotcheting?
Firstly, I've never mentioned the costs involved with producing the film. I simply didn't like it as a piece, as I posted.

Secondy, the crotcheting.

I first mentioned it many weeks ago, in the Market Hall thread, after it was pointed out to me by the traders in the Market Hall, whilst shopping in there.

I was dismissive of it as 'art', but my main beef was because of it's situation in there in the first place. A place, up until recently take up by londstanding market stalls, prior to the two million pound 'refurbishment'.

People traditionally go in the Market Hall to buy produce, not take part in community art projects.

In all honesty I had no idea where the funding came from, and still don't. Nor did I know you had any involvement with it. I knew you were running the new arts centre in Oswaldtwistle Town Hall, nothing else. So any criticism wasn't aimed at you, mainly because of ignorance on my part.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 21:21   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Firstly, I've never mentioned the costs involved with producing the film. I simply didn't like it as a piece, as I posted.

Secondy, the crotcheting.

I first mentioned it many weeks ago, in the Market Hall thread, after it was pointed out to me by the traders in the Market Hall, whilst shopping in there.

I was dismissive of it as 'art', but my main beef was because of it's situation in there in the first place. A place, up until recently take up by londstanding market stalls, prior to the two million pound 'refurbishment'.

People traditionally go in the Market Hall to buy produce, not take part in community art projects.
Exactly. The film was rubbish and there is no apparent purpose. As for the crotcheting - I am totally puzzled. Why? Surely there are people with a little bit if imagination who could have come up with something better than this waste of money in order to attract people into the market hall?

A Town Cryer would be fun, probably cost neutral and someone yelling out the local news and the market attractions ,with a bit of ceremony a couple of days a week, would surely make a better attraction than this nonsense.

Last edited by Neil; 20-10-2010 at 21:40. Reason: fix quote
Old 20-10-2010, 21:37   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Who paid for Ossy War Memorial? The one in Oak Hill Park? Gatty Park? Excepting the Tiffany Collection, those are our best artworks in Hyndburn.....none of which were paid by government funding.

Don't know about the others, but the War Memorial in Oswaldtwistle, widely believed to be one of the most beautiful in the country, was constucted soley from public subscription, raised by the townsfolk.

Old 20-10-2010, 21:41   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The grant is not so they can make something though as I see it.
It is so a community group (or however secured the funding) can employ the artist to do a job that the group want doing. Not just for the sake of art.
We don't fund models, pop singers, or other fame wannabes, certainly not after further education, so they can 'live the dream', funded via the public purse, if no one wants their talents on a commercial footing.

Artists should be no different

Old 20-10-2010, 21:43   #39
God Member

Quote:
Don't know about the others, but the War Memorial in Oswaldtwistle, widely believed to be one of the most beautiful in the country, was constucted soley from public subscription, raised by the townsfolk.
Yeah...it was the same with them all.

No doubt if the arts bureaucrats had been around in 1919/20 the Ossy War Memorial would have been a couple of stone slabs pulled out the Tinker Brook, set in concrete with a crotcheted wool tea cosy bunged on the top, paid for by the taxpayer.
Old 20-10-2010, 21:43   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
...... funded via the public purse.......
Is lottery funding the public purse?
I don't think so
Old 20-10-2010, 21:45   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So would I, fill a form in and away you go.

Was I a little harsh? Sorry if I was but I am fed up hearing people moan about what lottery money should and should not be spent on and then do nothing about it.

Gayle played a major part in securing £100,000 for Rhyddings Park. No not for arty stuff but for a multi use games area to give the teenagers somewhere safe to go and hopefully keep a few more off the streets.

Is that ok?
Lottery funding.

Couldn't give two hoots.

I have a choice not to participate, and therefore my money doesn't go to their worthy causes.

Fund as many ethnic, one legged wimmins' morris dancing troupes as you want.

Good luck to them, because they aren't getting my cash.

Old 20-10-2010, 21:48   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Is lottery funding the public purse?
I don't think so

No.

I quite clearly stated it isn't.

This thread is about state funding of the arts.

I have no idea where the funds came from to commission the three recents works locally.

The market traders said 'the council', but I have no idea, and until today never mentioned funding.

My observations were based purely on artistic mertit, or lack of it.

Old 20-10-2010, 21:54   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Yeah...it was the same with them all.

No doubt if the arts bureaucrats had been around in 1919/20 the Ossy War Memorial would have been a couple of stone slabs pulled out the Tinker Brook, set in concrete with a crotcheted wool tea cosy bunged on the top, paid for by the taxpayer.
Sounds a bit gung ho, and a gloryfication of mans' inhumanity to man.

More likely to be different coloured stones from around the world, linked in a circle by living ivy, to symbolise peaceful humanity...with a tea-cosy in the middle.

Old 20-10-2010, 21:57   #44
God Member

Yeah, with probably the names of 50 German war dead engraved down the side.
Old 20-10-2010, 22:00   #45
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Sounds a bit gung ho, and a gloryfication of mans' inhumanity to man.

More likely to be different coloured stones from around the world, linked in a circle by living ivy, to symbolise peaceful humanity...with a tea-cosy in the middle.

Lets be honest, if they built it today it wouldn't be allowed unless it also mentioned the Enemies fallen killed by our heroes, because we can't have winners and losers, just P.C.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..