Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51   #631
Give, give, give member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That maybe so but not giving a toss is just as bad, if that's the case lets shut all the youth centres and other youth projects and turn the clock back to the 1930s and not give young people any support other than school, like the good old days

Also, if a youth group qualifies for some funding, and they decide to use some of that money on materials for crafts and hobbies, that is their decision.

This in not the same as spending thousands of pounds of council tax payers' money, paying so called profesional artists, to crochet freakin' wooly caterpillars, and exhibit them under the umberalla name of 'community art'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2010, 10:54   #632
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's never been as much support.

Nor have young people ever had as much materially.

If there's still anti-social behaviour, something's wrong.

Probably due chanelling tax payers' money into brain dead, community art schemes.
The reason for anti-social behaviour, is lack of discipline. no doubt you as well as myself adhered to rules when we were growing up, I respected my parents, teachers and other figures in society, which I'm sure you did too G. There is a lot made in this day and age of young people being respected, the only difference when we were young is you received that respect when you'd earned it, not as a right
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34   #633
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The reason for anti-social behaviour, is lack of discipline. no doubt you as well as myself adhered to rules when we were growing up, I respected my parents, teachers and other figures in society, which I'm sure you did too G. There is a lot made in this day and age of young people being respected, the only difference when we were young is you received that respect when you'd earned it, not as a right
Very true, and no matter how much money you throw at it, in the guise of two grand spent gaffiting a park wall, it can't be bought either.

Respect is earned, like the taxes that fund such lunacy.

Old 08-11-2010, 17:05   #634
Senior Member+

Quote:
Very true, and no matter how much money you throw at it, in the guise of two grand spent gaffiting a park wall, it can't be bought either.

Respect is earned, like the taxes that fund such lunacy.
Totally agree with you and Jay.
Old 08-11-2010, 17:50   #635
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Totally agree with you and Jay.
Hum a threesome
Old 08-11-2010, 21:54   #636
Senior Member+

Quote:
Hum a threesome
Don't get carried away
Old 08-11-2010, 23:01   #637
Give, give, give member

Now, this is a pretty little picture.

she speaks like silence by ~guitarsallly on deviantART

Old 09-11-2010, 09:00   #638
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Don't get carried away
Never do Barrie
Old 09-11-2010, 09:02   #639
Resting in Peace

Quote:

she speaks like silence by ~guitarsallly on deviantART
We some of the comments were interesting
Old 09-11-2010, 09:40   #640
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Is it by the woman in the Market Hall? It's pretty good for crochet work. I wonder what Brian's view would be about publicly funded crocheting and waterless swimming?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 14:56   #641
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Is it by the woman in the Market Hall? It's pretty good for crochet work. I wonder what Brian's view would be about publicly funded crocheting and waterless swimming?
He'll just have to wait and see, like the rest of us, who aren't allowed to know the cost, before the first stroke has been swam, and then decide, if it's of any value to us all, both artistically and finacially.

Old 09-11-2010, 15:10   #642
Senior Member+

Has Gayle has decided never to darken this website again, as she said she might? I can't say I blame her if she has, she's taken some stick on here.
However, she never did tell us what Hyndburns contribution to the 'Cultural Olympics' London 2012 would be and what it was going to cost.Does anyone know?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 15:41   #643
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Has Gayle has decided never to darken this website again, as she said she might? I can't say I blame her if she has, she's taken some stick on here.
However, she never did tell us what Hyndburns contribution to the 'Cultural Olympics' London 2012 would be and what it was going to cost.Does anyone know?
If Gayle isn't to darken the site again, don't worry about the stick she has taken, she put herself up for this, and has had plenty of free publicity.

She always struck me as someone of reasonable intelligence, surely she knows it goes with the territory?

As for 'Cultural Olympics', how could any Town that puts forward the examples we have had so far be even considering itself, 'Cultural'?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 15:47   #644
Give, give, give member

Quote:

There's been open debate before, about the value of publicly funded ar in the area.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...hem-17904.html

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ire-17860.html

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ght-10871.html

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...poll-8988.html

If the people employed by the tax payer to promote community art, wish to enter into a public debate as to the worth and value of such things, that is totally up to them.

Old 09-11-2010, 16:36   #645
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Besides, although it's now apparent Gayle's role is now much more than as that of creative director of the Civic arts centre, and is now concerned with all the arts in Hyndburn, surely there must be more than one person who knows the funding costs of specific events?

Since the information has now been released that Hyndburn Borough Council are providing 'about' 25% of the funding costs, perhaps one of our councillors will inform the public of the finances from the public purse that are involved?

Until such time as there is complete and total openess, and real transparency, of all the funding costs involved, for ALL events, the public has really very little chance of evaluating the true worth to us of community art.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..