Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 05:11   #646
Give, give, give member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If Gayle isn't to darken the site again, don't worry about the stick she has taken, she put herself up for this, and has had plenty of free publicity.
"Hyndburn Enterprise Trust helped me immensely.
Whilst I would have to say that the
grant money is nice...

'Mediatricks helps young, small to medium sized businesses promote their company in unique and economical ways.'

'...we can help you promote your products or services to your target markets.'

'Google Page Ranking stands for Public Relations. Effective Google Page Ranking aims to strengthen, maintain and shape a company's position within its markets and secure its reputation in the community as a whole.'

'My business is marketing and publicity, but one area that I was lacking knowledge was financially'

Hyndburn Enterprise Trust - Means Better Business

If all publicity is good publicity, she'll probably pop back soon to thank those who've helped in publicising the events showcased by the companies and professionals involved, who've benefited from public funding, and who have exhibited such creative and diverse community arts for us here in Hyndburn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2010, 05:28   #647
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Google Page Ranking stands for Public Relations. Effective Google Page Ranking aims to strengthen, maintain and shape a company's position within its markets and secure its reputation in the community as a whole.'

'The Sunday Times article states the Government has “expressed surprise at the sums paid” and Ed Vaizey the Culture Minister is quoted as saying:
“There really must be full transparency for all publicly funded arts bodies”.

'There is also a statement from the Arts Council expressing a similar, though more limited, sentiment:
“Anybody in receipt of significant public money should be transparent about their core funding costs”.
mySociety Blog Archive Minister Demands Full Transparency for all Publicly Funded Arts Bodies

In the interest of good Google Page Ranking, as well as this new climate of openess and transparency, I just wish someone, anyone, would inform the people funding it, just what those funding costs are for the forthcoming Victorian Swiming Gala, then we can finally assess the true value of publicly funded art.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20   #648
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
In the interest of good Google Page Ranking, as well as this new climate of openess and transparency, I just wish someone, anyone, would inform the people funding it, just what those funding costs are for the forthcoming Victorian Swiming Gala, then we can finally assess the true value of publicly funded art.
I don't see what the issue is. Gayle has stated she will tell you when the event is over as she does not want the event to be judged on cost alone as happened with the other one.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43   #649
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't see what the issue is. Gayle has stated she will tell you when the event is over as she does not want the event to be judged on cost alone as happened with the other one.
It wasn't 'one'.

We were informed of the costs of all the other events, including the costs of the flash mob, which had yet to happen. Which makes people wonder why this event is different from the rest.

The fact that the cost of the flash mob was stated as one thousand pounds, that being the fee paid to the dance teacher, when infact it was £1,160.00, is neither here nor there.
Powered by Google Docs

The 'issue is' we are supposdly, according to the government's Minister of Culture, living in a time when all publicly funded art projects should be open, and transparent about their funding.

It shouldn't be a game of peek-a-boo.

Some you see. Some you don't.

If it is, it leaves people wondering why the costs of some art events are being kept hidden, until after they've happened, and when the professional artists have banked their fees, and safely headed back over the Pennines to Yorkshire.

As for 'judging'. It seems a little odd that someone starts a thread, asking people to judge the value of publcly funded art, if they aren't to be given all the relevant information as to make that possible.

Whether those involved decide it would be wise to release the cost of funding this event now, is up to them.

It will become public knowledge.

That could be before the Victorian Swimming Gala has happened.

Doesn't sound like particularly good Google Page Ranking, not to be honest and open about it, at this present time.

Last edited by garinda; 10-11-2010 at 07:45.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33   #650
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Is some art so special, that it's 'priceless'?

Unlike the flash mob apparently, and unlike anything else in the real world of commerce?

You don't go into an estate agents, wanting to buy a house, and they take your money, but without actually telling you how much the house is valued at, or how much they've taken, and thus allowing you the right to decide if it is worth what was paid.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:54   #651
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't see what the issue is.
That's probably due to your postition of privilege. As you've posted you've already been informed of the funding costs for the Victorian Swimmin Gala. Unlike all the other tax payers in Hyndburn who are helping to fund it.

Therefore you are able to evaluate the value of public funded art, and thus making it harder to 'see the issue', unlike everyone else.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:58   #652
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You don't go into an estate agents, wanting to buy a house, and they take your money, but without actually telling you how much the house is valued at, or how much they've taken, and thus allowing you the right to decide if it is worth what was paid.

And you don't rip the house to pieces without viewing it based on the cost alone.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:03   #653
Give, give, give member

Quote:
And you don't rip the house to pieces without viewing it based on the cost alone.
Er...in the real world, I think you'll find that people do that every single day.

'Three hundred grand?'

'For that tumble down shack!'

'Are they having a laugh?'

'No one in their right mind will pay that for it!'

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04   #654
Give, give, give member

Like I say.

There is an art to defending the indefensible.

Though I've yet to meet anyone with that much valued skill.

Old 10-11-2010, 13:56   #655
God Member

Quote:
It wasn't 'one'.

We were informed of the costs of all the other events, including the costs of the flash mob, which had yet to happen. Which makes people wonder why this event is different from the rest.

The fact that the cost of the flash mob was stated as one thousand pounds, that being the fee paid to the dance teacher, when infact it was £1,160.00, is neither here nor there.