Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 20:34   #1
Senior Member+

Gas and Electricity providers ,prices under scrutiny

Its been announced that the mighty offcom are to investigate the big six utility providers in lieu of yet more price hikes across the board.I think its about time these companies were brought to task over the price increases which seem to happen just as winter starts every year ,many oap's and poorer families face another winter of not being able to heat their homes properly.Its about time offcom showed some b**** and did something about these companies ripping us off because up to now the have been somewhat of a toothless tiger,making noises but with no end result
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2010, 22:06   #2
God Member

Re: Gas and Electricity providers ,prices under scrutiny

watchdog did a peice about the gas companies mainly british gas and ofcom are totaly powerless to make any of them reduce prices so dont hold your breath.They hiked up the price of gas when the price of oil went up but never reduced the price when the price fell back down.Water,gas and electricity should never have been sold and should have stayed government controlled

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 22:51   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats the bottom line as accyman says, sell em off to mega rich tory companys n stuff the peasants. Hypothermia rattles em off- less pension benefits to pay the scrounging gets.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:49   #4
Resting in Peace

I'm okay I'm on a fixed price
Old 02-12-2010, 10:18   #5
Resting in Peace

Those nice people at British Gas aren't putting my rates up till next April.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:44   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Mine aren't going up for 18 months
Old 02-12-2010, 12:29   #7
God Member

is anyone with Eon? i got a rather strange letter from them this morning telling me i was eligable for £100 off my winter fuel bill

did anyone else get one?
Old 02-12-2010, 13:11   #8
God Member

I have started the switching process from Scottish Power to EDF.
I had used two comparison sites to compare rates.

Yesterday I got a phone call fron E-ON trying to persuade me to switch to them instead (during this 2 week 'cooling off period', that is possible)

I told them that I was getting £100 credit from EDF and the lady from E-ON said that they have that offer too. So I said why then did it not show on the price comparison sites (EDF's did).

She said that they have found from customer surveys that consumers prefer to discuss it by phone - what tosh is that!

E-ON's £100 credit (cashback) offer would tip my choice in their favour by a few quid but I decided not to upset the applecart by switching again during the cool off period.

PS I suspect that the £100 offer will only apply when you switch - if you are already an E-ON customer look how the letter was addressed - 'to Occupier'?

Last edited by MargaretR; 02-12-2010 at 13:20.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 17:11   #9
Senior Member+

Those on a fixed price might not have any increases for a time but the point is the prices are to high in the first place. The energy companies have had it their own way for too long and play on the fact that we all need heat and light. The prices for wholesale gas are set months in advance and even if the gas is bought at low prices it takes months to pass on those reductions on to the customers if at all.
Old 02-12-2010, 17:51   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post

So how come I got an E-mail to say my gas from British Gas was going up by 7% from December 10th ? Ha-ha, looking more into the mail ... says people on their Essentials tariff will not be due an increase until 1st April, as you say, Benipete; they say these are for vulnerable customers ? Wouldn't put you in that catergory...

Still, this week they have re-adjusted my direct debit payments down by £13 per month. Ok .. not really a reduction and will soon go up again due to this earlier than normal big freeze. Can't blame them for the weather though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 18:03   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

PS I suspect that the £100 offer will only apply when you switch - if you are already an E-ON customer look how the letter was addressed - 'to Occupier'?

it was addressed to me Margaret, been with Eon since they changed their name, had my gas and leccy with them for years, i've never switched, they had my email addy and phone number on the letter too, i've replied to the letter anyway
Old 02-12-2010, 18:31   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
it was addressed to me Margaret, been with Eon since they changed their name, had my gas and leccy with them for years, i've never switched, they had my email addy and phone number on the letter too, i've replied to the letter anyway
Good for you - let us know if you get the £100 credit.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 18:54   #13
God Member

will do
Old 02-12-2010, 21:06   #14
Senior Member+

Apparently I am in credit with Scottish Power to the tune of £385 (???), very odd so have just sent them my meter readings, will keep you informed unless I have flown off on a cheap holiday on the proceeds.....
Old 02-12-2010, 22:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm okay I'm on a fixed price
Me too for 4years.Free boiler cover too worth 600 pounds over fours years.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..