Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010, 19:45   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

I love the way some people immediately accuse those who don't agree with them of being prejudiced, spouting empty rhetoric and having their heads 'stuck far up their asses'. It's something I could never manage, could you?
Of course what we have now is not working, making not wearing a seat belt illegal didn't work at first. But gradually people were persuaded that it was sensible to wear one, it delayed the time you became an organ donor.Very few break that law now.
So instead of listening to the 'liberals' arguing for decriminalising with controlled access why can't we have a proper BIG, SUSTAINED publicity campaign showing people what this stuff can and will do to you and try to persuade them that it's not a good idea? Is that not an alternative?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2010, 19:54   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I love the way some people immediately accuse those who don't agree with them of being prejudiced, spouting empty rhetoric and having their heads 'stuck far up their asses'. It's something I could never manage, could you?
Of course what we have now is not working, making not wearing a seat belt illegal didn't work at first. But gradually people were persuaded that it was sensible to wear one, it delayed the time you became an organ donor.Very few break that law now.
So instead of listening to the 'liberals' arguing for decriminalising with controlled access why can't we have a proper BIG, SUSTAINED publicity campaign showing people what this stuff can and will do to you and try to persuade them that it's not a good idea? Is that not an alternative?
NO

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 20:06   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
NO
Short and to the point. What do YOU suggest then?
Old 06-12-2010, 21:26   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Short and to the point. What do YOU suggest then?
Well being a member of the great British Empire that introduced most of these drugs to the rest of the world.Not a lot.

Keeping in mind we exported Opium to the Chinese and that there were more cocaine/heroin addicts in the USA in the 30's than there are now you tell me

Old 06-12-2010, 21:43   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Well being a member of the great British Empire that introduced most of these drugs to the rest of the world.Not a lot.

Keeping in mind we exported Opium to the Chinese and that there were more cocaine/heroin addicts in the USA in the 30's than there are now you tell me
Check your facts! The 'great British Empire' didn't invent opium, it was commonly used in India. Nor did we introduce most of these drugs to the world.The import to China was considered illegal by both Governments and don't forget if there wasn't already a massive market for it in China the British traders wouldn't have been pushing it.By modern standards what we did was wrong but don't quote standards and ethics of 170 years ago as if it made it all our fault today.
Your positive contribution-nil.Must try harder.
Old 06-12-2010, 22:47   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Check your facts! The 'great British Empire' didn't invent opium, it was commonly used in India. Nor did we introduce most of these drugs to the world.The import to China was considered illegal by both Governments and don't forget if there wasn't already a massive market for it in China the British traders wouldn't have been pushing it.By modern standards what we did was wrong but don't quote standards and ethics of 170 years ago as if it made it all our fault today.
Your positive contribution-nil.Must try harder.
Of course you are quite right in saying that Britain did not "invent" opium but then I never said they did,They exported it in very large amounts via the British East India Company in fact it was almost a Monopoly.

Heroin however was "invented in England in1874 by a Mr Wright (ironic eh).

Further more 1930 was not 170 years ago.

So to conclude: If you don't want my opinion don't ask and If you do then go to Specsavers before you reply

English Comprehension - You could not do worse.

Old 06-12-2010, 23:23   #22

Never bought the legalise and tax argument especially with cannabis - a user can grow their own, probably to a higher standard than they buy now.

Still, the amount spent on the policing of drugs is obscene and I don't believe that whether or not a drug is legal has any effect on a user taking said drug(that given all drugs are legalised at once).

For the record I've never taken an illegal drug, never had a drag of a cigarette for that matter.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:53   #23
God Member

Quote:
No.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40   #24
Senior Member+

The good old Drugs Debate.

Love how people who dont have a clue jump on the bandwagen that "all "Illegal" drugs are bad".

Things need to change thats a fact. I personally dont agree with legalisation but decrimanlsation would be a good start. (Certain Drugs).

Alchol is a drug and is dangeress, but the "Ive never touched illegal drugs in all my life" brigade dont seem to see how certain Illegal drugs could be better for Society than Alchol.

IMO certain perscribed drugs are alot worse that Illegal drugs.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Come on; you are pretending a naivety that you don't have. In the guise of asking a question ... "why" is still interrogative in the English language, I presume ... you are stating your opinion. If there are a few thousand drug users in Accrington, then there are the same number of reasons as to why they use drugs. And then there are the Sam Stones of this world, coming home from wars and falling into alcoholism and drug abuse ... how do we deal with those unfortunates? Throw them into the slammer?

The drug problems are real ... they have to be dealt with somehow ... if the present system were working, then, no problem, "if it aint broke, don't fix it." But it so obviously is broke.

At least you haven't blamed "thirteen years of labour misrule"
Drug abuse and addiction starts somewhere, I wouldn't think for a minute that somebody snorting cocaine for the first time thinks wow this is great I'm going to become and addict and it'll cost me £100s of pounds a week to fuel my addiction, its the same with any drug. I can honestly say I've never taken any illegal drugs either tabs smoking or otherwise, fags and beer were enough for me, I gave up fags the first time a doc, mentioned I should cut down (not stop) that was 32 years ago, I don't drink these days, save a bottle of wine at weekends, oh yes and Labour did sod all to help stop drug abuse
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well come on then explain how alcohol in moderation can be any worse? use of alcohol is down to plain common sense.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:18   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well come on then explain how alcohol in moderation can be any worse? use of alcohol is down to plain common sense.
From what I have seen / done, once you start having a few jars common sense goes right out of the window.

The Evidence is broadcast on 3+ Sky Channels every night.

The Use of ALL substanses could be described as "down to plain common sence".
Old 07-12-2010, 09:24   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
From what I have seen / done, once you start having a few jars common sense goes right out of the window.

The Evidence is broadcast on 3+ Sky Channels every night.

The Use of ALL substanses could be described as "down to plain common sence".
Disagree alcohol is legal= common sense, drugs are illegal use of = stupidity.criminal.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:31   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Spot on cashy they only have to look at thee and me
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Disagree alcohol is legal= common sense, drugs are illegal use of = stupidity.criminal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..