Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 20:38   #16
God Member

Re: Accy obsever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
but I wonder if there was a mention of the en masse Conservative walkout during a vote on Tesco and the Market Hall this week? Petty politics? We're talking about the fate of the borough here and they effect moral outrage when it suits to avoid thorny subjects.

Come on, where's the detail
Old 12-12-2010, 10:45   #17
Resting in Peace

Re: Accy observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Sorta' agree with you Jaysay on Ted Hillman ... was the usual announcement, but they could have done a small article on his achievements.

Ted Hillman - Accrington Observer

As to Graham ... well, he is one person I would trust implicitly not overstep the mark on expenses.
Totally agree with your sentiments on Ted, and can't disagree with you when it comes to our MP for reasons already stated, but do you actually think if it had been Tory, not one word would have been said on here Kate
Old 12-12-2010, 11:22   #18
Senior Member+

Can I just echo jaysay's comments about Ted Hillman. I knew him when he was on the Council - indeed both he and Bessie were councillors together for a short time. He was a lovely bloke, totally down to earth and no nonsense. A great ward Councillor.

RIP Ted
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:54   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Can I just echo jaysay's comments about Ted Hillman. I knew him when he was on the Council - indeed both he and Bessie were councillors together for a short time. He was a lovely bloke, totally down to earth and no nonsense. A great ward Councillor.

RIP Ted
Appears former fellow colleagues of Ted's ain't bothered
Old 12-12-2010, 13:24   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The first was the sad death of former Labour Councillor Ted Hillman, I knew Ted very well as we were on a couple of school governors bodies together, Ted was one of those councillors who class as salt of the earth, no great shakes when it came to discussing multi million pound budgets, but ask him to sort a problem out for you and he'd be there in a flash, just surprised no one mentioned his death, but I suppose its a case out of mind when you've outlived your usefulness, as I know all too well. RIP Ted.
I didn't know the gentleman but if I had, rather than include the mention of his demise in a thread about the Observer, I might have thought it more fitting to start a complete new thread out of respect to him!

R.I.P. Mr. Ted Hillman & my condolences to his family.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 14:16   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

RIP Ted
I was shocked to here about Ted. It was only few weeks ago I saw him. As you say Ted, was a good Councillor for Spring Hill. I don't know whether you noticed, but we lost another former Labour Councillor a few weeks ago. Marilyn Brindle was a Clayton Councillor for a few years.I was in the same class as Marilyn at School. You may well remember her.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 18:27   #22
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The man Britcliffe can hear the sweet whirr of a camera motor at a thousand paces and will stop at nothing to make sure he is in front of the next shot. I can only imagine his frustration at not being part of the Channel 4 Dispatches recce in Accrington with myself and Miles Parkinson this morning.

I haven't bought The Accrington Observer this week but I wonder if there was a mention of the en masse Conservative walkout during a vote on Tesco and the Market Hall this week? Petty politics? We're talking about the fate of the borough here and they effect moral outrage when it suits to avoid thorny subjects.

The Conservatives are a bunch of sheep, whipped into line by a man who dangles paid committee positions in order to get his own way. It really is time for a change.
Is there any truth in the rumour that The Accrington Observer is to be renamed The Britcliffe Times? The last time I perused my chip paper I counted at least six pictures of him - enough to put anyone off their supper.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 18:43   #23
JCB

Quote:
Ted was one of those councillors who class as salt of the earth
I haven't had much contact with councillors in their role as councillors for many a year .

Going back a good while I can recall my parents in Spring Hill ward needing their help on several occasions .

Three names spring to mind at once - Mrs Court , Mrs Slater , and Mr Hillman .

All three got to the root of the problems , and with no messing about , the right solutions were found .

If they rang Ted Hillman up for help , he would be at their house within quarter of an hour . A good councillor . R.I.P.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 19:30   #24
Senior Member+

I still get the Accy Observer.A woman at work gives me her copy.It's good for lining the cats litter box.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:21   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I haven't had much contact with councillors in their role as councillors for many a year .

Going back a good while I can recall my parents in Spring Hill ward needing their help on several occasions .

Three names spring to mind at once - Mrs Court , Mrs Slater , and Mr Hillman .

All three got to the root of the problems , and with no messing about , the right solutions were found .

If they rang Ted Hillman up for help , he would be at their house within quarter of an hour . A good councillor . R.I.P.
Mentioning Mrs Court JCB I received a Xmas card from her on Friday with a short message
Old 13-12-2010, 10:23   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
I still get the Accy Observer.A woman at work gives me her copy.It's good for lining the cats litter box.
Your cat ain't that particular then is it maxwell
Old 13-12-2010, 11:40   #27
JCB

Quote:
Mentioning Mrs Court JCB I received a Xmas card from her on Friday with a short message
After some alterations to my parents' council house in 1970 they started to have problems . The waste pipe from the bathroom to the pipes outside the house wasn't right . The waste was backing up and coming up under the carpets in the kitchen . This happened three times and each time it was supposed to have been made right . When it happened a fourth time they contacted Mrs Court , who I think was chairman of the housing committee . She came over on her way to work at Holy Family . She stayed with my parents , got in touch with the housing manager , and waited until he came , even though it would make her late for work . She told him that it had to made right . It was , and they had no trouble afterwards .

The housing manager told my parents not to bother Mrs Court again because she was a busy lady . You and I will know that it was because she stood no messing from officials and had her constituents' interests at heart .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 11:46   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
After some alterations to my parents' council house in 1970 they started to have problems . The waste pipe from the bathroom to the pipes outside the house wasn't right . The waste was backing up and coming up under the carpets in the kitchen . This happened three times and each time it was supposed to have been made right . When it happened a fourth time they contacted Mrs Court , who I think was chairman of the housing committee . She came over on her way to work at Holy Family . She stayed with my parents , got in touch with the housing manager , and waited until he came , even though it would make her late for work . She told him that it had to made right . It was , and they had no trouble afterwards .

The housing manager told my parents not to bother Mrs Court again because she was a busy lady . You and I will know that it was because she stood no messing from officials and had her constituents' interests at heart .
Totally agree JCB Bette was one of the old type councillors (of which there were quite a few on both sides of the devide) I was sorry when she had to pack it in for health reasons and moved away from the area
Old 18-12-2010, 11:52   #29
Resting in Peace

This publication gets worse every week, this week they have published the store that we discussed over a week ago, regarding the council meeting walk out, plus they have even included the same photo about a Rishton event twice, Mickey Mouse would do a better job
Old 18-12-2010, 16:28   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
This publication gets worse every week, this week they have published the store that we discussed over a week ago, regarding the council meeting walk out, plus they have even included the same photo about a Rishton event twice, Mickey Mouse would do a better job
it does get worse, had occasion to get one today, amazing though, the crap about the council meeting walk out, yet this week can find NO pic of P.B. in it, very strange.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..