Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2013, 17:23   #856
Senior Member+

Re: Town Centre Changes

But, do we EVER believe what the reporters from the Observer say? So often is it NOT what the person interviewed has actually said!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2013, 17:35   #857
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
#842 refers Less.... let's can the idolatry bit, his motivations are his business and yeah to your "Good Luck to Him"
AND there are beneficiaries to his investments in the town.

Who was it sang "Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative" ?
You can, can whatever you want, I don't like the guy because HE came on site with an attitude of all praise me for what I'm doing.
If I have to repeat it I will, he is investing & hoping to make a profit, I wish him well, hopefully his investment will pay him dividends, but Tesco, Asda, and various other businesses invest in the town without expecting a tug of the forelock.
What happens if he goes tits up like that guy that bought a farm then stopped public access?
Will he still try to be gaining publicity or will he quietly sell off his investments and move on?
Of course he will, his loyalty is to the bottom line not to our town.
cashman and BERNADETTE like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 17:40   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
But, do we EVER believe what the reporters from the Observer say? So often is it NOT what the person interviewed has actually said!
That he mentioned earlier, he has been invited to tell us the truth and the fiction.
Old 21-09-2013, 18:22   #859
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
......What happens if he goes tits up like that guy that bought a farm then stopped public access?......
Is this the chap in this news story? Almost 300 cannabis plants were found at East Side Spire Farm on Sunday. - Accrington Observer

I think this is the house 4 bedroom country house to rent in Spire Farm,Sandy Lane,Accrington,Hyndburn, BB5
Old 21-09-2013, 18:41   #860

Think so, even when reported for misdemeanours he was referred to as a businessman rather than a failed businessman.

I asked in another thread when someone no longer trading but committing a crime stops being a 'businessman' and becomes as bad as the worst described in the papers.
Old 21-09-2013, 18:51   #861
Senior Member+

To be fair to R H Foy it wasnt him who was partaking in a bit of clandestine herb cultivation but that WAS his house which is now in the care of the receivers i believe.
cashman likes this.
Old 21-09-2013, 19:28   #862

Well the true version would be:

a) I'm not a multi-millionaire. The only way I could be considered one is if you included the value of my company which is entirely subjective. There's a massive difference between being cash rich and asset rich. The former being actually useful. I understand it makes for an attention grabbing headline.

b) If I actually become wealthy then I would be interested in the building directly opposite the Market Hall. Quality stone building, currently about 5 run down or empty shops and large amounts of empty space above that noone wants to rent in its current form. That building would I think convert nicely into residential. A big project, but the property has not yet gone the way of the Conservative Club. In time it will if noone takes it on.

To post 857 I wont be going tits up because I take no risks in doing this, and own the deeds to all the properties. Worst case I sell up, leave the town with modernised buildings that are occupied by people not pigeons. Local tradesmen did well from it during the recession. It's a pity they didn't get a mention in the Observer article - for quality, fair pricing and trust (invaluable when living abroad as I do).
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 19:46   #863
Beacon of light

Maybe you should ask the Observer to print these facts, in the interests of fairness to you.
BERNADETTE likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 07:55   #864
Senior Member+

Change of topic! I must confess I do not bother to read the Planning Applications, but someone suggested I do, with regard to the Arndale. And yes ... ANOTHER coffee shop on its way, if permission is given to go ahead with these plans. We are talking the area in the Arndale from the Travel Agents down to Union Street.

http://planning.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/WA...df&pageCount=1

Last edited by Atarah; 22-09-2013 at 07:58.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 08:24   #865
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well it is the New Accrington Observer after all
Well it's deffo' not the News Accrington Observer John
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 08:24   #866
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Always remembering Atara that those responsible for town centre renewal don't live here anyway.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:35   #867
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You can, can whatever you want, I don't like the guy because HE came on site with an attitude of all praise me for what I'm doing.
I wouldn't think opprobrium from a flat track bully like yourself would cause any sleepless nights in Singapore Less.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 09:11   #868
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
I wouldn't think opprobrium from a flat track bully like yourself would cause any sleepless nights in Singapore Less.
Doesn't this post count as a personal insult, and as such is against the rules of the forum?
Old 22-09-2013, 09:15   #869
Beacon of light

Not that I think it would worry Less one jot....he won't lose any sleep over any names you call him.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:23   #870
Beacon of light

Quote:
Change of topic! I must confess I do not bother to read the Planning Applications, but someone suggested I do, with regard to the Arndale. And yes ... ANOTHER coffee shop on its way, if permission is given to go ahead with these plans. We are talking the area in the Arndale from the Travel Agents down to Union Street.

http://planning.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/WA...df&pageCount=1
There was a guy in what used to be Bon Marche on Friday......it looked like he was measuring up. I wondered what it was going to be.
I'm not sure that a coffee shop is what is needed...the one that recently opened on Broadway...Mr Bean, doesn't seem to be doing much.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..