Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2011, 19:25   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Unused medications

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I work in hospital pharmacy as some of you know so here's what happens now. Medications returned to pharmacy from patients homes have to be destroyed because we cannot 100% guarantee they are fit to use, storage, tampered with etc. However we now do use patients own drugs in the hospital, all patients are asked to bring in their own supply, which we check and assess for "fit for use". It means that the patients don't miss doses, we dont have to change their brands and we can make sure that the correct medications are prescribed on their In-patient charts, we check if patients have further supplies at home and only supply on discharge if we need to which helps to cut down on waste, hope that answers some of the questions.
I agree it sometimes seems a real shame to throw things away, but can you imagine the uproar if they were used and they'd been contaminated in some way....
Thanks for that grego, I think its a better idea with regards to TTOs I used to go home with a shipping order, in fact I could probable given them some, now they come and ask if you are okay with meds at home, which is a bonus, saves waiting for ages for them to come from the pharmacy
Old 21-01-2011, 19:25   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nice one grego, seems summats going the right way to me.
Old 21-01-2011, 19:26   #18
Senior Member+

Agree with the above, worked at Boots for a couple of years and all returned meds are destroyed ( controlled drugs under strict supervision too) , I queried it when I started there but it's just that you can't guarantee how they have been stored and if they have been tampered with. Can't be too careful in that line of business.
Old 21-01-2011, 19:29   #19
Beacon of light

Lindsay, I can see the sense in that, but from the hospital viewpoint, patients are hardly likely to have tampered with their own meds.
I used to bang on about using patients own meds at every opportunity.....there was always someone who threw up objections. I am really glad to see that it is now happening...even though I am no longer there to see it.
I'm not sorry about that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 19:30   #20
God Member

It was about time things changed Margaret we had been trying to implement the new system for years but you know what the NHS is like.
Only half a day Wallop! Thats quick, unfortunately patients are always told its in pharmacy but its usually not even written at that stage, for that reason everything that arrives and leaves pharmacy is now logged so we can produce the real turn around times if we need to...
Old 21-01-2011, 19:34   #21
Senior Member+

Margaret , I was purely referring to meds returned to pharmacies. I wouldn't know about hospital practice, but obviously you would expect patients to look after their own meds. Glad I'm out of it to be honest, I didn't like being responsible for any mistakes my pharmacist ( on 4 times my wage) might make!
Old 21-01-2011, 19:36   #22
Beacon of light

Yes, I realise that Lindsay.
I'm glad to be out of it too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 21:21   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
but today virtually all meds come in sealed containers so why can these medications not be recycled and re issued,
Depending which medication you're on you could recycle/reissue them yourself and make a few quid at the same time. I'm sure if you stood outside Maundy Grange you'ld get a few takers, so to speak.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 22:21   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Depending which medication you're on you could recycle/reissue them yourself and make a few quid at the same time. I'm sure if you stood outside Maundy Grange you'ld get a few takers, so to speak.
Steady now,a lovely charitable institution......
Old 22-01-2011, 09:11   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Margaret , I was purely referring to meds returned to pharmacies. I wouldn't know about hospital practice, but obviously you would expect patients to look after their own meds. Glad I'm out of it to be honest, I didn't like being responsible for any mistakes my pharmacist ( on 4 times my wage) might make!
Pharmacists don't make mistakes do they To be honest Lindsay if I am put on a new med I check to see if there are and adverse reactions with other meds I'm on, I take nothing to chances with my own health
Old 22-01-2011, 09:13   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
It takes me all my time to stand on two feet these days yerself never mind outside Maundy Grange
Old 23-01-2011, 05:45   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Pharmacists don't make mistakes do they
Yes they do, everyone does.

I collected a prescription from the chemist last week and there was only 40 tablets in the box instead of 100
Old 23-01-2011, 07:54   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I collected a prescription from the chemist last week and there was only 40 tablets in the box instead of 100

Did this halt the growth of your new breasts?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 09:02   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Did this halt the growth of your new breasts?

I don't need any when I can play with yours
Old 23-01-2011, 09:32   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Oh come on Neil my statement was tongue in cheek mate hence the EEK smiley

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..