Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2011, 19:00   #1
God Member

Middle East Meltdown ...

Anyone following what's happening in Egypt? Things starting to look a little shakey. Problem with Egypt is that it has, for a while anyhow, been an ally of the US, and kind of ok with Israel. And amid all the smoke, and tear gas, I can't figure out what will come of it. Another powerful Islamist state could really screw things up for Western interests ... I think it might be time to invest in gold ... What happened in Tunisia, I could understand; but this Egypt thing seems to have caught a bunch of people off guard.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2011, 19:51   #2
God Member

Re: Middle East Meltdown ...

Considering there is major sea trade highway next to Egypt people should be worried. There seems to be a lot of discord in North Africa at the moment and that is a worry as well.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 19:59   #3
Give, give, give member

Forget Velvet Revolutions, this is the age of Facebook/Twitter/mobile phone insurgencies.

Not planning any holidays to the southern shores of the Mediterranean, this year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 20:12   #4
God Member

Think we can be sure of one thing, the Saud family must be feeling a bit "uncomfortable" during all this , seems there are also anti-govt. riots in Muslim Albania , and a bit of un-rest in Turkey .

be interesting to see how soon the price of Gas/Petrol goes up at the pump
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 20:14   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Forget Velvet Revolutions, this is the age of Facebook/Twitter/mobile phone insurgencies.

Not planning any holidays to the southern shores of the Mediterranean, this year.

Right-on on the social networking thing; this is one aspect of the new technology I hadn't considered .... not surprising, considering I can remember a house without tv .... I guess our unruly neighbours to the south of us are concerned ... and there's $1.5 billion of military aid going there every year. I wonder if the Israeli Air Force are warming up their engines.
Old 28-01-2011, 20:16   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
and a bit of un-rest in Turkey
That's one good news story.

It might delay, or hopefully prevent, Turkey's planned entry into the welcoming arms of the E.U.

Old 28-01-2011, 20:22   #7
God Member

Wasn't it part of the Bush/Blair theory/policy that the Iraqi invasion was the first step in bringing Democracy to the mid-east ....
Old 28-01-2011, 20:27   #8
God Member

As a long shot, it could be Iran that goes next ... I'm wondering if there is going to be a rash of mass unrest all over the region.
Old 28-01-2011, 20:56   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
As a long shot, it could be Iran that goes next ... I'm wondering if there is going to be a rash of mass unrest all over the region.
Not sure if you get FOX (Faux) News in Canada , a Murdoch owned mouthpiece for the Republicans , just had a couple of "pundits" on who are blaming Iran for stirring things up , seems a bit odd to me since the Iranians are Shia and most Egyptians are Sunni .

Be interesting if we could find out how many tons of gold are being moved to safer locations in Europe from the mid-east, happen Boeing guy will have heard a rumour or two
Old 28-01-2011, 21:18   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Wasn't it part of the Bush/Blair theory/policy that the Iraqi invasion was the first step in bringing Democracy to the mid-east ....
The last thing that the US and their client state in the region want is democracy in Egypt. The "strong man" type of govt. best suits their interests. I bet there are a few nervous folks in DC and Tel Aviv with their fingers crossed hoping that the army comes out on top. The Islamic Brotherhood would be a disaster. Democracy wouldn't be as bad ... as long as the democratically elected leaders would be prepared to kiss US ass big time.

I think the whole region could go into turmoil. If I had spare cash, I would be buying shares in Athabaska tar sands development.
Old 28-01-2011, 21:30   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think the whole region could go into turmoil.
Personally, I blame 13 years of Labour government.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 21:36   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Personally, I blame 13 years of Labour government.
I think it goes back further than that.

I blame that woman Cleopatra, the asses' milk snatcha.

Old 28-01-2011, 21:40   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aye, keeping a passing eye on it. When all's said & done there's always been a bit of unease in that part of the World due to the majority being beaten down by the moneyed minority.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 21:47   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Aye, keeping a passing eye on it. When all's said & done there's always been a bit of unease in that part of the World due to the majority being beaten down by the moneyed minority.
Cue post about some Biblical revelation, prophesying Armageddon, started by a mobile phone, in a neighbouring kingdom to Canaan.

Old 28-01-2011, 21:54   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You mean the Coservative/Lib-Dems are in power there too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..