Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Hyndburn's New Tourist Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well if its in the observer in must be true, that's what George Slynn always said
I also remember George asking how much the Council had in its reserve fund (or piggy bank as he called it). When told that the fund was money being kept for a rainy day, He said "Well let's bl**dy well spend it now. The bl**dy roof's off and the rain's pouring in!"

Strikes me that if the Council is now reduced to closing toilets to save money, it's the equivalent of the roof being off, so maybe they should be looking at the reserves a bit more liberally.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24   #107
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well if its in the observer in must be true, that's what George Slynn always said
Bog standard reply from PB's toilet roll.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24   #108
God Member

Hahahahahaha
Old 02-02-2011, 14:45   #109
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I must admit I was very confused when I got the mail and feel a bit guilty now. I didn't realise he was the Town Centre Manager and was making all the decisions, I was blaming the councillors concerned.

I filled in the form and got the same answer back. I think as town centre manager he is just answering the questions, I doubt he has made the decision.

I replied asking why they are not both open all the time and received a reply saying it is down to cost.

We all like more services but most of us dont want to pay for them. Be interesting to see the figures when Ken posts them in a couple of weeks.

I cant help wondering if it has anything to do with the rumour I heard about the public toilets on Tinker Bridge in Ossy being reopened. After all there are no public toilets in Ossy and they have been closed for years, just a HBC owned eyesore now.
Old 02-02-2011, 14:51   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I replied asking why they are not both open all the time and received a reply saying it is down to cost.
They can't even decide the right story between them. A certain council leader told somebody last week ' We have a beautiful new market hall and we need to make sure it's used' when asked why the toilets were closing.

There are certainly no staff cost savings so whatever savings they dream up to justify it will be in pence not pounds. The Tardis outside has probably made more money than they save and thats privately owned.
Old 02-02-2011, 14:53   #111
God Member

Quote:
I think as town centre manager he is just answering the questions, I doubt he has made the decision.

So he isn't really managing the town centre then, just a PA for others ?
Old 02-02-2011, 15:02   #112
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
So he isn't really managing the town centre then, just a PA for others ?
I did not say that.
I think like all Council Officers they have to do things that are decided by Councillors and also have to publicly agree with them.
Old 02-02-2011, 15:12   #113
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I did not say that.
I think like all Council Officers they have to do things that are decided by Councillors and also have to publicly agree with them.
Dream on
Old 02-02-2011, 15:33   #114

Quote:
A certain council leader told somebody last week ' We have a beautiful new market hall and we need to make sure it's used' when asked why the toilets were closing.
So he thinks it will be profitable for the Market traders if everyone goes in & spends a penny?
It will take lots of visitors at that rate to cover their rent.
Old 02-02-2011, 15:39   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So he thinks it will be profitable for the Market traders if everyone goes in & spends a penny?
It will take lots of visitors at that rate to cover their rent.
At 3pm they were all closed except for ONE cafe and a couple of the little shops on the balcony. Ain't going to spend much there are they

Coincidence or not it has been very quiet up our end today. Combine that with a few treks a day to the far end of the market hall balcony I've decided to close Wednesdays at least for the foreseeable future. Give me chance to look around other towns and see if they actually want retailers.
Old 02-02-2011, 15:44   #116
God Member

Quote:
I did not say that.
I didn't say you did, there was a question mark at the end of my sentence, therefore it was a question
Old 02-02-2011, 15:48   #117

Quote:
I've decided to close Wednesdays at least for the foreseeable future. Give me chance to look around other towns and see if they actually want retailers.
You might even find one with indoor plumbing, that would be a convenient move.
Old 02-02-2011, 16:03   #118
Give, give, give member

Quote:
At 3pm they were all closed except for ONE cafe and a couple of the little shops on the balcony. Ain't going to spend much there are they

Coincidence or not it has been very quiet up our end today. Combine that with a few treks a day to the far end of the market hall balcony I've decided to close Wednesdays at least for the foreseeable future. Give me chance to look around other towns and see if they actually want retailers.
Anyone with a modicom of intelligence knows this isn't about saving money, but an act of nepotism.

The fact that at least one small family run business is considering relocating, because these facilities are to be closed, is a disgrace.

I think this is a much more important local issue, than saying Google is a hard company to rival.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 16:05   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Anyone with a modicom of intelligence knows this isn't about saving money, but an act of nepotism.

It'a also about egotism ( is that a word ). They didn't get it right about 6 day trading, so they changed it to 5 and half day trading and then 7 day trading. Somebody please explain the logic to me
Old 02-02-2011, 16:07   #120
Give, give, give member

I honestly think you should start a Facebook group, to pile on extra pressure.

It's easy to do, and the local papers like quoting how many prople have joined a particular cause, if they run the story.

(Use the potty photo.)

It'll litarally take five minutes to do, and could pay dividends.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..