Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 09:47   #376
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn's New Tourist Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Why should it be the death of AccyWeb?
If your best mate could close the site he would,
AccyWeb seems far more democratic than one or the other party, we, don't have to follow any party line, if Labour are wrong, we say so, if the idiots are wrong, we say so.
(this biased opinion is mine, I take full responsibility, though I must admit if I'm likely to get any flak it will be from the outgoing party).
And Me
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23   #377
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm not actually looking forward to May really, could be the death of AccyWeb, there'll be nothing to moan about, be like Sunday without "Score"
I'm sure there will be plenty to comment constructively upon (moan sounds too negative) after May, whatever the result of the election. The colour of the ruling party doesn't matter - they all need their noses tweaking when they aren't straight with the public.

I've dealt with both parties in power, and can see straight through the smoke and mirrors they present (eg the "balanced budget" they have just passed.)

They are as bad as each other, believe me!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:32   #378
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I'm sure there will be plenty to comment constructively upon (moan sounds too negative) after May, whatever the result of the election. The colour of the ruling party doesn't matter - they all need their noses tweaking when they aren't straight with the public.

I've dealt with both parties in power, and can see straight through the smoke and mirrors they present (eg the "balanced budget" they have just passed.)

They are as bad as each other, believe me!
Gynn your preaching to the converted, there will be just as many problems if Labour take over in May, believe me, but me thinks they won't get aired on here half as much as they have been
Old 06-03-2011, 16:33   #379
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Gynn your preaching to the converted, there will be just as many problems if Labour take over in May, believe me, but me thinks they won't get aired on here half as much as they have been
That is unless the Leadersoffice suddenly turns into a human being
Old 06-03-2011, 16:37   #380
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Disagree i will slag anyone i think deserves it.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:43   #381
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
One announcement we can look forward to, is when the new leader promises not to be as expensive as the one we have at present, no matter who it is, surely they are going to make deep cuts in that bill?
Though I feel that the present leader will fanny about until the end, as the advert says 'because he's worth it',
Yeah right.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:49   #382
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That is unless the Leadersoffice suddenly turns into a human being

What do you mean?

Have you seen where the batteries go?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 19:26   #383
God Member

Quote:

ahh but surely all it would take would be for an opposition councilor to join up and point them out to us just like what happens now.Any councilor can join up and argue their case but so far the idea dosnt seem to have caught on.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:40   #384
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
One announcement we can look forward to, is when the new leader promises not to be as expensive as the one we have at present, no matter who it is, surely they are going to make deep cuts in that bill?
Though I feel that the present leader will fanny about until the end, as the advert says 'because he's worth it',
Yeah right.
Miles Parkinson made clear outlines of how members' allowances can be reduced in his budget amendments last Tuesday night at full council. These included proportional reductions in both the Leader and Leader of the Opposition's allowances.

They were described as 'gesture politics' and voted against by the Conservatives.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:23   #385
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Miles Parkinson made clear outlines of how members' allowances can be reduced in his budget amendments last Tuesday night at full council. These included proportional reductions in both the Leader and Leader of the Opposition's allowances.

They were described as 'gesture politics' and voted against by the Conservatives.
Gesture politics?

Is that when politicans gesticulate towards the electorate?

Stickin' their tongues out, and giving us the V-sign?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:39   #386
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Gesture politics?

Is that when politicans gesticulate towards the electorate?

Stickin' their tongues out, and giving us the V-sign?
Don't forget that the public can do the same thing to the ones they don't care for on May 5th.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:47   #387
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Don't forget that the public can do the same thing to the ones they don't care for on May 5th.
I'll be making a pre-election gesture before May 5th.

I'll be wandering around Hyndburn wearing a sandwich board, demanding 'VOTES FOR SWIMMIN'.'

In the hope that who ever wins the election, they won't cut the budget for community arts.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:35   #388
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I'll be making a pre-election gesture before May 5th.

I'll be wandering around Hyndburn wearing a sandwich board, demanding 'VOTES FOR SWIMMIN'.'

In the hope that who ever wins the election, they won't cut the budget for community arts.

No worries on that score, the traders & shopkeepers of Accrington rely on the increased revenue these things produce, so we will probably be investing more than ever, it's the future of retailing & we are on the cutting edge.
(when I say 'cutting edge', I mean we are state of the art, up front, ahead of the game, (and other such platitudes), NOT, we are about to slash the budget and remove such a worthwhile crowd puller).

Last edited by Less; 07-03-2011 at 08:38.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:40   #389
Resting in Peace

Quote:
What do you mean?

Have you seen where the batteries go?

Nothing to do with batteries, its more to do with common sense really G. When I first saw 1 of the 2 post made that "Member" I have to say I sat there and shook my head, there are only two rules to remember if your going to take part on a site like this, either totally join in or don't even bother even looking at it never mind commenting on it in open public forums i. e. the Council Chamber, that intervention from "Theleadersoffice" was one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen, and I have already made my feelings known on that score, a total act of stupidity
Old 07-03-2011, 09:06   #390
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Nothing to do with batteries, its more to do with common sense really G. When I first saw 1 of the 2 post made that "Member" I have to say I sat there and shook my head, there are only two rules to remember if your going to take part on a site like this, either totally join in or don't even bother even looking at it never mind commenting on it in open public forums i. e. the Council Chamber, that intervention from "Theleadersoffice" was one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen, and I have already made my feelings known on that score, a total act of stupidity
Phew.

So he's human.

Just as we all are.

In a way I don't think this forum is so very different from any other form of media, used as a tool for communication. Speaking to the press, or writing a newspaper column say, which people can also respond to, if they want.

When Graham Jones was leader of a local political party he took a fairly active role in the life of Accy Web, and it didn't seem to do his reputation much harm, seeing as he went on to become our M.P. Indeed, showing that he is human, like the rest of us, might have added to his appeal with the electorate.

Perhaps you should be encouraging TheLeadersOfficeHBC to play the Accy Web quiz, or share his favourite hits on the AW juke box, rather than thinking he was 'stupid' for posting on here at all.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..