Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 16:10   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: BBC Breakfast News in Accrington - Private Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
I think the young lady was told by the landlord that improvements were going to be made, and surprise surprise they wern't, I understand what you're saying Jaysay but I think some people being young & naive will believe the landlord and wont know who to complain to about the dangerous living conditions when the promised repairs are not done.

And well done Graham for highlighting a problem that needed to be brought into the public spotlight
Oh I agree it needs spotlighting, its just a pity it wasn't started 5 or ten years ago.
Old 05-02-2011, 16:43   #17

Sorry about this but I have been trying to post something for over an hour on this thread and it won't let me, still trying to work out what it dosen't like about my post.

Last edited by claytonender; 05-02-2011 at 16:45.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 16:46   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
sorry about this but i have been trying to post something for over an hour on this thread and it won't let me, still trying to work out what it dosen't like about my post.
Oh
Old 05-02-2011, 17:00   #19

Graham has certainly not jumped on any bandwagon since he was elected as MP in May as he has been very proactive in trying to improve conditions for tenants of private landlords for several years. It is due to his efforts whilst he was a borough councillor that Hyndburn have tried to implement Selective Licensing of Landlords in certain areas of the borough.
Old 05-02-2011, 17:04   #20

This was due to be fully implemented from begiining of October 2010 but a group of landlords have mounted a challenge and are in trying to block the scheme.

Thanks to Garinda for providing a link to the thread from last year that I started about the Selective Licensing Scheme. In fact some of the people who expressed very anti views in that thread are among the landlords who are now blocking the scheme.

I know that many long standing residents of Hyndburn are very concerned about the proliferation of the private rented sector and the effect it has had in some areas of depressing house prices.

Regarding the empty properties around Matalan - Steiner and Frederick Streets -they are part of a clearance area and will shortly be demolished by HBC.
Old 05-02-2011, 17:32   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Oh I agree it needs spotlighting, its just a pity it wasn't started 5 or ten years ago.
Or even a hundred.

We are supposed to be a civilised society, all parties are to blame for the buildings that the rest of us will allow less fortunate to live in.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 17:46   #22
God Member

Have just seen the report and was shocked. I think that people are now paying the price for council houses being sold dirt cheap and nothing built as replacements.

Not a good advert for Accy at all.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:52   #23
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Have just seen the report and was shocked. I think that people are now paying the price for council houses being sold dirt cheap and nothing built as replacements.

Not a good advert for Accy at all.
Not just accy, it was a nationwide thing, the councils had no choice.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 19:31   #24
Give, give, give member

Yes. Strangely you'd think all good landlords would welcome greater controls, so their names wouldn't be blackened by those rogue landlord whose main concern is the profits from their investment, and who couldn't gave a tinker's cuss about the quality of their tennant's homes, and their health and safety, when they are daily living with hazard and danger.

Odd that.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 19:38   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Or even a hundred.

We are supposed to be a civilised society, all parties are to blame for the buildings that the rest of us will allow less fortunate to live in.
Totally agree Less, but was making the point that this problem hasn't arisen in 8 months that's all
Old 05-02-2011, 19:41   #26
Senior Member+

The idea of a scheme to regulate landlords is a good one , having said that the landlords that the scheme is aimed at are unlikely to comply with it. They do not care about their tenants or properties or the area that they are in.Its all about profit and turnover they often are from another area and havent even seen the properties or tenants to whom they rent them.
They will continue to avoid schemes like this as it is not in their interests to enter into a scheme which may mean having to spend money on their properties which means cutting profits,so they will employ every method they can to avoid it.
It may be that it should be enforced at the point of sale with the purchaser having to declare if a house is a buy to let when purchased.And harsh penalties enforced if upkeep of the properties is not to a good standard within allotted time scales.
Old 05-02-2011, 19:48   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes. Strangely you'd think all good landlords would welcome greater controls, so their names wouldn't be blackened by those rogue landlord whose main concern is the profits from their investment, and who couldn't gave a tinker's cuss about the quality of their tennant's homes, and their health and safety, when they are daily living with hazard and danger.

Odd that.

I think good landlords are in favour of a regulatory scheme but dont want to be punished or paying for the more shady landlords misdemeanours and lax behaviour.The proper vetting of tenants by letting agents when out of area lanlords are the owners of properties would also be a step in the right direction in my eyes.
Old 05-02-2011, 19:50   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
The idea of a scheme to regulate landlords is a good one , having said that the landlords that the scheme is aimed at are unlikely to comply with it. They do not care about their tenants or properties or the area that they are in.Its all about profit and turnover they often are from another area and havent even seen the properties or tenants to whom they rent them.
They will continue to avoid schemes like this as it is not in their interests to enter into a scheme which may mean having to spend money on their properties which means cutting profits,so they will employ every method they can to avoid it.
It may be that it should be enforced at the point of sale with the purchaser having to declare if a house is a buy to let when purchased.And harsh penalties enforced if upkeep of the properties is not to a good standard within allotted time scales.
In the linked thread, regarding the Selected Licencing scheme, that some are trying to bring to parts of Hyndburn, there are plenty examples given were the scheme has been implemented, and those rogue landlords you describe, have been heavily fined, when all other legal measures have failed.

Old 05-02-2011, 19:54   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I think good landlords are in favour of a regulatory scheme but dont want to be punished or paying for the more shady landlords misdemeanours and lax behaviour.The proper vetting of tenants by letting agents when out of area lanlords are the owners of properties would also be a step in the right direction in my eyes.
As stated, good landlords have nothing to lose.

Win, win.

Old 05-02-2011, 20:05   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As stated, good landlords have nothing to lose.

Win, win.

I dont fully agree with that as often with these things, the majority often end up paying for the sins of the minority.I know from personal experience that one of the main problems for decent landlords is the payment of housing benefits being paid directly to the tennant this makes getting it sometimes a problem if you are unlucky to get a bad tennant.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..