Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2011, 19:08   #91
Beacon of light

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Priceless...whatever it costs it is too much to pay when there are to be cuts in essential services.

It won't give me a feelgood factor...and I would think that that is the case with those who have entered a 'no' vote

Only the irresponsible go out to the pictures when they can't pay their rent.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2011, 19:11   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Err .. exactly. That's what I am trying to get at. But we don't know the cost as yet, but is not exactly a 'civic celebration' is it ? Am trying to get at the financial gains for this spending. However, you cannot ignore any feel good factors it brings to our town .. that is priceless.
Priceless for two locals so far.

You and Neil.

The vast majority, across the board, so far as how we normally post, are against it.

If a Glee tribute band, to switch the Christmas lights on, cost six thousand quid, you can bet your aunt Fanny the proposed firework display won't consist of a tenners worth of Catherine wheels bought in the newsagents.

We know how costly organising civic events.

Who amongst us can forget the thousands that were spent on the spectacular flash mob?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 19:17   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Only the irresponsible go out to the pictures when they can't pay their rent.
Some daft devils probably did. Shortly before being carted off to the Work House.

Usually someone in a fur coat, and no knickers, because they didn't have enough money for some hot water and Acdo, to wash 'em in.

Old 13-02-2011, 19:19   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Priceless for two locals so far.

You and Neil.

The vast majority, across the board, so far as how we normally post, are against it.

If a Glee tribute band, to switch the Christmas lights on, cost six thousand quid, you can bet your aunt Fanny the proposed firework display won't consist of a tenners worth of Catherine wheels bought in the newsagents.

We know how costly organising civic events.

Who amongst us can forget the thousands that were spent on the spectacular flash mob?
You still do not address any monies spent against monies gained though Garinda .. just focused on the outlay.

'Thousands' on the Flash Mob !!! ... that's increased (wasn't even local council money)...anyway stick to the issue being discussed ... as you have just so rightly mentioned.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 19:26   #95
God Member

Quote:
You still do not address any monies spent against monies gained though Garinda .. just focused on the outlay.

You're probably right, Im sure there will have to be at least one cafe open to rake it in
Old 13-02-2011, 19:27   #96
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You're probably right, Im sure there will have to be at least one cafe open to rake it in
Thought you may have been busy printing out commemorative tea towels, Dave ...
Old 13-02-2011, 19:29   #97
God Member

Quote:
Thought you may have been busy printing out commemorative tea towels, Dave ...
I'm not printing it until you order it
Old 13-02-2011, 19:34   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:

'Thousands' on the Flash Mob !!! ... that's increased (wasn't even local council money)...anyway stick to the issue being discussed ... as you have just so rightly mentioned.
Er...my little bug bear, facts.

Let's deal in them.

You might want to check your's.

The Arts Czarina posted that three quarters of the funding for the flash mob came from the Lotto, and 'about a quarter' from HBC. I posted many times, besides thinking that it was naff, that I wouldn't have given two hoots, if it wasn't part funded by the tax payers of Hyndburn. That was the whole point.

Thankfully never having been a gambler, it's hard to predict on any returns from 'monies gained'.

Besides, it's especially irresponsible to gamble when the piggy bank is empty, and you haven't got any money as a stake in the first place.

I started this thread because I wondered if others think it's also a stupid waste of money, in these worrying times.

So far, the vast majority think similarly.

You don't.

Fine.

I hope you enjoy your 'pricless' extravangance.

Call it our treat.

Old 13-02-2011, 19:39   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Do we know how much financal gain Knitty Nora attracted to the area, after her residency in the Market Hall, crocheting gonks?

We know how many thousands it cost, but I haven't seen the monetary return figures yet in black and white.

Anyone got them?

Old 13-02-2011, 19:49   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm not printing it until you order it

All entrepreneurs have to take a risk Dave .. not play safe, that's what made them millionaires

Last edited by katex; 13-02-2011 at 19:52.
Old 13-02-2011, 20:07   #101
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
All entrepreneurs have to take a risk Dave .. not play safe, that's what made them millionaires
looking at the general consensus on here, daves best bet is play safe.Though he may get 4 postal orders from regions far.pmsl
Old 13-02-2011, 20:22   #102

If he prints "I don't give a stuff about the Royal Wedding" I'll order 3 straight away.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 20:22   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Er...my little bug bear, facts.

Let's deal in them.

You might want to check your's.

The Arts Czarina posted that three quarters of the funding for the flash mob came from the Lotto, and 'about a quarter' from HBC. I posted many times, besides thinking that it was naff, that I wouldn't have given two hoots, if it wasn't part funded by the tax payers of Hyndburn. That was the whole point.

Thankfully never having been a gambler, it's hard to predict on any returns from 'monies gained'.

Besides, it's especially irresponsible to gamble when the piggy bank is empty, and you haven't got any money as a stake in the first place.

I started this thread because I wondered if others think it's also a stupid waste of money, in these worrying times.

So far, the vast majority think similarly.

You don't.

Fine.

I hope you enjoy your 'pricless' extravangance.

Call it our treat.
WŁell. let's stick to that,shall we ?

Quote:
Do we know how much financal gain Knitty Nora attracted to the area, after her residency in the Market Hall, crocheting gonks?

We know how many thousands it cost, but I haven't seen the monetary return figures yet in black and white.

Anyone got them?
Another megalomaniac post ..

I have not had a go at people who voted 'no' .. why are you having a go because I voted 'yes' reverting to past heavily discussed issues, which have no relevance on this thread ?...

Marketing is not easy to calculate as to the gains ... you should know that. Gains can turn up to years later.
Old 13-02-2011, 20:23   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
If he prints "I don't give a stuff about the Royal Wedding" I'll order 3 straight away.
Now there's an idea
Old 13-02-2011, 20:27   #105
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Now there's an idea
I bet you'd sell more DON'T CLOSE THE BOGS tea-towels, than you would for the receding heir to the throne's wedding.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..