Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2011, 23:00   #121
Resting in Peace

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Nevertheless, Wynonie, it did degenerate into a bullying attack on my opinion and would never have attacked anyone on their opinion except constructively I would hope.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2011, 23:07   #122
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Nevertheless, Wynonie, it did degenerate into a bullying attack on my opinion and would never have attacked anyone on their opinion except constructively I would hope.
this is getting dafter,so anyone who strongly disagrees wi yer viewpoint is bullying ya? its called speaking yer mind, which you have done n so have others.
Old 13-02-2011, 23:16   #123
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
i dont know ... thats why i havent voted .... cant make my mind up either way ....
Her.

Don't let cash cuts ruin my son's life | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Afraid. Afraid the respite care home her severely disabled child attends, is likely to be closed, to save money, means the mattter for me was very cut and dried, about where taxes are most needed.

Yes, LCC funds the homes, but they are funded by our council taxes, and this is about principle.

Well used, and much needed and appreciated public toilets are being closed down, in order 'to save money', whilst thousands are going to be blown on an event most people seem apathetic about.

You have the right not to vote, and to voice your opinion that you haven't.

To me it couldn't be more clear cut.

It's right versus wrong.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 23:17   #124
God Member

I have voted No because in these hard times think the money could be better used elsewhere. We could maybe get the toilets in Peel Street re-opened

I will be watching the wedding as I like the Royal Family
Old 13-02-2011, 23:31   #125
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
this is getting dafter,so anyone who strongly disagrees wi yer viewpoint is bullying ya? its called speaking yer mind, which you have done n so have others.
You're right.

'Some' didn't seem particularly bulied or victimised, when giving their strongly worded opinions about how people spent their OWN money.

Was it 'constructive' to say my hardworking mother had 'more money than sense', for spending £8.00 per head for lunch? I just found that rude and offensive. Certainly not constructive, when discussing good local cafes.

Objecting to how all our money is being spent, in the form of council tax, is bullying?

No it isn't.

It's about speaking out, when something is blatantly wrong. At least in the eyes of the vast majority.

When we face such frightening cuts, spending any public money on this is event wrong.

If people want to organise, and pay for their own celebrations, fine. Not a problem for me.

Good luck to 'em.

Old 13-02-2011, 23:38   #126
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Where are you going ema?
ive gone :-) now in pendle,not hyndburn

Posted via Mobile Device
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 23:40   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
well at least yer won't be paying fer the royal wedding in accy market ems.
Old 13-02-2011, 23:42   #128
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Don't be a stranger, and if they attempt to try you for witchcraft we'll start a petition, and send it to the Queen, with our letter asking for some wedding cake.

Old 14-02-2011, 00:04   #129

Maybe the six should club together for a mini bus and watch the celebrations in another town, sure it would be cheaper, for hyndburns tax payers anyway.
( No emoticons.).
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 00:07   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Was it 'constructive' to say my hardworking mother had 'more money than sense', for spending £8.00 per head for lunch? I just found that rude and offensive. Certainly not constructive, when discussing good local cafes.

No, it was not constructive and, as mentioned, I did apologise for that remark and admitted that I had been a prig, as you called me. I didn't even know your mum had paid for the meal until you mentioned it again later. What more can I do ? Will cut a pound of my flesh off if you like !
Why do you keep bringing it up ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 00:17   #131
Resting in Peace

Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?

That was the Question and the choices were YES or NO.

I didn't know I had to justify my reasons for voting No or indeed explain them,But if I must, I am with the majority that think public money could be better spent.

I'm not against parties but I always managed to fund my own. ain30:

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really

Last edited by Benipete; 14-02-2011 at 00:20.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 00:28   #132
Senior Member+

I have voted No, money could be better spent.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 00:48   #133
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No, it was not constructive and, as mentioned, I did apologise for that remark and admitted that I had been a prig, as you called me. I didn't even know your mum had paid for the meal until you mentioned it again later. What more can I do ? Will cut a pound of my flesh off if you like !
Why do you keep bringing it up ?
Because accusations of 'bullying' are now be branded about.

I was merely pointing out that others have also given strongly worded opinions, including non-constructive criticism, that were irrelevant.

Another reason to cross-reference two threads, was both discussed costs. Though one was about self-financed costs, and the other requiring public funds from the tax payer.

I have similarly mentioned subjects discussed in other threads, because they help illustrate the likely costs involved in hosting civic leisure events.

Happily I've got quite a good memory, and won't apologise for bringing up something someone may have said in an earlier thread, if it happens to add any relevance. I shall continue doing that, until it is no possible for me to do so.

I've just reread this thread, Gawd help me, and see no evidence of anyone being bullied.

If others do think this is bullying, I can only pity their innocence, and assume they've never actually seen any real bullying.

From ardent royalist to arch republican, the majority of people don't want public money spent on celebrating Prince William's wedding in Hyndburn. As others have posted, even William has said they want a low key celebration themselves, mindful of the economic crisis.

The majority think it wrong to spend local money on it, and so do I.

I'll keep on saying this passionately 'til I'm blue in the face, if need be.

If that makes me a bully in some eyes, I'll live with that quite happily. Knowing what I do of their opinions, about other things, and people.

I still say what I've said, in the way that I've said it, if I was in a one percent minority.

It's what I wholeheartedly believe.

Old 14-02-2011, 07:23   #134
Beacon of light

And I won't be one of those taking a quick peek.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 08:15   #135
Super Moderator

Quote:
Strange...back in post 116, you said you were "coming off this thread". Wouldn't have been telling porkies would you, Kate? (Oh no, those pesky emoticons again -they keep popping up everywhere!).
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..