Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2011, 22:21   #226
Give, give, give member

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I take it you are now drunk, no doubt with a cheap 12 pack from the local corner shop.

Do you seriously expect HBC to send out a letter to every constituent asking their authority for every penny spent?

Do the sums:

HBC expenditure on local services = £22million

HBC expenditure on postal consultation = £22billion

I think you've had enough, Bernadette and it's time you went to bed.
You really are a prince amongst men.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2011, 22:36   #227
God Member

Quote:
I take it you are now drunk, no doubt with a cheap 12 pack from the local corner shop.

Do you seriously expect HBC to send out a letter to every constituent asking their authority for every penny spent?

Do the sums:

HBC expenditure on local services = £22million

HBC expenditure on postal consultation = £22billion

I think you've had enough, Bernadette and it's time you went to bed.
How dare you talk to me like that??? The facts are there for anybody to see, the majority of people who voted in our poll were from the area and the majority voted against any money being spent from THEIR taxes not YOURS!!!!! IE the council taxes paid by Hyndburn residents to the council ( not the top up from the goverment, which in your boroughs case suspect will be far more than Hyndburns allocation)
Old 15-02-2011, 22:40   #228
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
How dare you talk to me like that???
Why don't you just stick to the washing and ironing, and leave the politics to the lads?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 22:47   #229
God Member

Quote:
Why don't you just stick to the washing and ironing, and leave the politics to the lads?
You really are an arrogant piece but I expected a better response than that from a MAN like you. Well never mind life is full of disappointments
Old 15-02-2011, 22:52   #230
God Member

Quote:
You really are an arrogant piece but I expected a better response than that from a MAN like you. Well never mind life is full of disappointments
You're not going to get my mobile number with remarks like that.
Old 15-02-2011, 22:55   #231

I have resisted posting in this thread up until now. But I feel that this is an inappropriate use of Council Tax Payer's money. Especially so, when the government has reduced its grants to Hyndburn by an extremely hefty amount of money.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 22:58   #232
God Member

Quote:
You're not going to get my mobile number with remarks like that.
Oh Dear I'm so upset (not)
Old 15-02-2011, 23:12   #233
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Well said Marg, the people of Hyndburn weren't asked how their taxes should be spent unless a letter hasn't been delivered to me asking my opinion. But hey-ho once again the council will decide the best way to spend tax-payers money with complete disregard to the tax-payers opinions
I am sorry but that is how the Council works. If your expecting a letter every time a decision is to be made it will never happen no matter who is in power.
Old 15-02-2011, 23:13   #234
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
How dare you talk to me like that??? The facts are there for anybody to see, the majority of people who voted in our poll were from the area and the majority voted against any money being spent from THEIR taxes not YOURS!!!!! IE the council taxes paid by Hyndburn residents to the council ( not the top up from the goverment, which in your boroughs case suspect will be far more than Hyndburns allocation)
Have a look at the no voters and try and decide how many are not politically biased or do not pay council tax to HBC.

This is not a private poll.
I think some people do not vote because they don't want ridiculing for not agreeing with some vocal members as has happened in this case.

Last edited by Neil; 15-02-2011 at 23:16.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 23:17   #235
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I have resisted posting in this thread up until now. But I feel that this is an inappropriate use of Council Tax Payer's money. Especially so, when the government has reduced its grants to Hyndburn by an extremely hefty amount of money.
Thank you, Councillor. You have just proved my point. Despite the large reduction in central grant, HBC is still receiving a substancial amount of dosh from Whitehall and as such some of that money should be put to good use in celebrating something like the Royal Wedding.

Just what would the rest of the country think of the town if it was to blatantly turn it's face to our Wills & Kate? Not much, I think; out the door would go any external investment, jobs down the pan, long dole queues - the constant spiral of economic and social decline. And all because of a few idiots who when they are not wearing their burka for bed are busy preaching republican clap-trap on here.
Old 15-02-2011, 23:18   #236
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Have a look at the no voters and try and decide how many are not politically biased or do not pay council tax to HBC.

This is not a private poll.
I think some people do not vote because they don't want ridiculing for not agreeing with some vocal members as has happened in this case.
i doubt very much if political bias has owt to do wi it Neil, its voters from all 3 parties n just common sense.
Old 15-02-2011, 23:22   #237
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
What is Hyndburn's Labour Party policy on publicly funded events such as this?

Last year there were 2 HBC funded events in parks in Hyndburn that I remember and a few other events I cant remember ( its late sorry ).
Would Labour still fund such events or will they be a thing of the past if Labour are in control in May
Old 15-02-2011, 23:25   #238
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
We have.

As has been pointed out, the overwhelming no vote covers the whole range of the political spectrum. From the Tory faithful to the reds under the bed, and the many moderates in between, all say a resounding NO.

The actual number of non-Hyndburn residents who voted no, has also been given in this thread.

I'm suprised you didn't see it.

The number of Hyndburn residents who voted yes remains at three.

You, and two others.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 23:25   #239
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

whats the royal wedding to do wi other events? this wedding aint local fer starters.
Old 15-02-2011, 23:27   #240
God Member

When was the last time Hyndburn spent council taxes on royal weddings.. when I was up there the pubs were opened all day and that was it... some streets did put a bit of a do on but I doubt it was paid for by the council.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..