Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 12:50   #1

Amazon Kindle

Hubby & I purchased a kindle e-reader each around September last year, as avid readers, especially on holiday, we were using a considerable amount of baggage allowance on books.

These gadgets are IMO brilliant. We can download most of the latest titles in less than a minute, the special screen makes it easy to read in bright sunlight, its lightweight, and can store up to 3,500 books. Also classics, i.e. Thomas Hardy, Shakespear et al are mostly free. Almost every book we have downloaded has been cheaper than the paperback version, and, even with my limited knowledge of all things technical, I have downloaded loads of music from the computer.

This, for us, must be one of the best buys ever,
JB

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2011, 07:39   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Amazon Kindle

Agree with this...if you're a keen reader, this is one of the best purchases you'll ever make. Mine was a birthday present about a month ago and I haven't put it down since! Books are much cheaper (including, as JellyBaby says, lots of classics for free). You can download 'em in a minute and it's the last word in convenience. Forget about piles of books in your living room/garage/suitcase/wherever, you can store an extensive library of 3,500 books, probably more than you'll read in the rest of your life on your kindle. It slips easily into your pocket or bag, so you can take it anywhere with you. Best present anyone's bought me since my iPod!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:03   #3
Senior Member+

I have just brought myself into the 21st century and at last bought a mobile phone, it is an HTC and I have installed Kindle on that. Up to now all I have downloaded for the Kindle app are the free boooks. I find it very easy to slip from page to page andit is very easy to carry about. I had though about buying the real Kindle machine but up to now I am happy using the phone.
The only down side is that you cannot donate the book to a charity shop or part exchange it for another when it has been read, something I usually do.
Old 12-04-2011, 22:34   #4

I was given my kindle as a birthday present in January and it one of the best present I have ever been bought. As well as holding 3500 books, it lasts for ages between charges, I read 3 full length novels before I had to charge it.
As for not being able to donate books to charity shops you can always give a donation instead.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 22:44   #5
God Member

how much have you lot paid for the Kindles? i've been thinking about getting one for a while now
Old 13-04-2011, 06:03   #6
Common Sense Member

I don't know.....I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy in many respects and this is one of them. I can see the benefits of the Kindle but I know I'd miss the feel and convenience of simply being able to pick up a book with my bookmark still in it and just read instantly.

In time I'll probably be convinced but for the moment I really enjoy seeing my collection on the shelf.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 06:29   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I don't know.....I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy in many respects and this is one of them. I can see the benefits of the Kindle but I know I'd miss the feel and convenience of simply being able to pick up a book with my bookmark still in it and just read instantly.

In time I'll probably be convinced but for the moment I really enjoy seeing my collection on the shelf.
I buy many of my books from the charity shops and donate them back once they are finished with....so though I have thought about buyingsomething like this for travelling on trip with.......I haven't succumbed yet.
I also have great problems with reading chunks of text from a computer screen........if I have to read something that is from the computer, I usually print it out.
So I worry that I would spend the money on something that I found hard to use.
I'm not converted yet.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 06:39   #8
Resting in Peace

Don't know about the Kindle as i have a Sony touch which plays music and can display photos it can also show PDF files and any books i read the text size can be enlarged it also had a built in dictionary and will take 4 gig of extra memory.
it will recognize most book file formats so not restricted to some files i get cheap books from w h smiths and waterstones.
Along with the 100 free books that came with the reader
just at the moment i am reading " operation mincemeat"

Last edited by Mick; 13-04-2011 at 06:41.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 07:48   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
how much have you lot paid for the Kindles? i've been thinking about getting one for a while now
Mine was a present, but I think they cost just over £100. As for comparisons to traditional books, believe me, there's no greater technophobe than me (it took me 10 years to get a CD player!), but I took to this like duck to water. Best thing for all you doubters is find somebody who has one and try it for yourself.
Old 13-04-2011, 07:51   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Likewise Ken, I only downloaded the Kindle app for my phone out of curiosity and only have a few few free books on it, I think after a day or two I gave up to it. I prefer to read the proper paper books and have two by my bedside with bookmarks in each. I tend to go to bed early some nights and listen to a bit of old music on my earphones with the volume very low and read a book. I have the odd habit of reading a chapter or two in one book and then picking up the other and doing the same, only two on the go at once and then when they are both read I either get two more from the library or the charity job.
I went into the pound shop in Accrington one day when it was raining hard and I needed shelter. I bought three books for three pound and they were £49 in the Arndale newsagent/book shop.

The Kindle is a very handy device for people who are going away or on long haul flights as they do save a lot of space, a bit pricey at the moment. Do they have any other function apart from the ability to download and store books, maybe watch a pre-installed film.
Old 13-04-2011, 08:01   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Do they have any other function apart from the ability to download and store books, maybe watch a pre-installed film.
Search me, I'm a technophobe! Don't think I'd want to watch a film on such a small screen anyway.
Old 13-04-2011, 08:02   #12
JFT96

Not been sold on the Kindle, although I too have the app on my iphone, but it is not the same on your phone.
I feel the same way with the Ipad, very nice, but I cannot find a good enough excuse to by one for myself.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:30   #13

I beleive Asda do a similar thing now for about £59.00.
I'm still making up my mind as wether to get one or not.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:53   #14
Super Moderator

Can only speak for myself. I usually read around one book a week and I've found it a revelation. Books are cheaper, sometimes ridiculously so (complete Sherlock Holmes stories for 70p) or even free. I don't have piles of read books mounting up in the garage and with a 3,500 book-capacity, I can store them all and re-read them whenever I want. No need for bookmarks - just switch it off and when you go back to that book, it automatically goes to your place. Must admit, I wouldn't like to read books on a mobile phone screen, but I find the kindle screen easier to read than the printed page. Would recommend that anyone who's considering it at least "has a go" on one.
Old 13-04-2011, 09:08   #15
JFT96

Wyn, I am almost sold on one, I keep looking, I think it would be a lot better than the Ipad, which is a lot of money for a toy... Trying to read on the phone is a nightmare. I could be persuaded, especially the wifi model....

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..