Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2011, 14:20   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Amazon Kindle

I've used mine for browsing all over the place. It's not perfect, but it does the job pretty well to say it's only at the experimental stage at the moment. Mind you, I didn't buy the Kindle as a replacement for a notebook, so all this is a bonus to me anyway.
Old 23-04-2011, 11:47   #47
Common Sense Member

Had a play with one the other day and I can't say as I'm overly impressed. It's just not as easily accessible as a book to me but each to their own, it's clearly proving popular with lots of other people.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 20:48   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Had a play with one the other day and I can't say as I'm overly impressed. It's just not as easily accessible as a book to me but each to their own, it's clearly proving popular with lots of other people.
I am afraid that I have to disagree with you Ken, I have had my kindle since January and it is equally accessible as a book, it even remembers which was the last page you read. The battery life is superb it lasts for about 3 full length novels, is extremely portable and will mean I have to won't have to take several paperbacks in my suitcase when I go on holiday, which decreases any concerns about going over the weight limit at the airport.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 21:38   #49
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
What could be more accessible than switching it on and finding yourself back at the place where you left off? No messing around with bookmarks or rifling through pages until you find your place. Just ask Claytonender to show you at the next council meeting!
Old 23-04-2011, 21:48   #50
Beacon of light

hmmmm, been looking at them today.......aren't they a bit(dare I say it?) dull?
Himself was trying to get me to buy one....and yes, I can see that they are useful if you travel a bit....but recipe books need colourful illustrations to make your mouth water(OK so you don't take cookbooks on holiday...but the thing has to be applicable to all kinds of books)........I wasn't impressed and I didn't buy one....but my blog will tell you more about why.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 22:13   #51
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
hmmmm, been looking at them today.......aren't they a bit(dare I say it?) dull?
Himself was trying to get me to buy one....and yes, I can see that they are useful if you travel a bit....but recipe books need colourful illustrations to make your mouth water(OK so you don't take cookbooks on holiday...but the thing has to be applicable to all kinds of books)........I wasn't impressed and I didn't buy one....but my blog will tell you more about why.
Horses for courses, Margaret. It's excellent for fiction or similar books which are mainly type. Wouldn't dream of downloading a book or periodical with lots of colour illustrations, as it just wouldn't work. I'll still be getting Playboy at the shop for instance (even though, as I'm always telling Mrs H, I only buy it for the articles).
Old 24-04-2011, 08:15   #52
Beacon of light

Oooh, Mr H! You Nawdy boy
Old 24-04-2011, 10:40   #53
God Member

I have had a Sony Pocket Reader for about a year now.
I have never paid for an ebook, and still sometimes buy an ordinary book.
I like the free download of books that the internet provides, especially the books that government agencies banned from publication in a normal format.
(you would be surprised by just how many there are)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 11:30   #54
Beacon of light

I have looked at those too Margaret.......but like the Kindle, they don't do colour.
I want a bookreader that is as versatile as possible......meaning that I can use it for the tinlids too.......and they want illustrations........especially Spindleshanks as he is not much into fiction...more into books about space exploration, planets, Dinosaurs.......stuff that is improved by pictures.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:53   #55
Beacon of light

Well, I know I was sceptical of the joys of the Kindle.....but I have just bought one!
How's that for a turn around?
What made me buy one? Well, I read quite a lot when I go to bed. I can't seem to get to sleep unless I have about half an hours(minimum) read. Recently I have been reading the CJ Sansom novel, Revelation a gruesome murder mystery set in Tudor times. It is quite a thick book, and it made my reading arm go to sleep about 30 minutes before I did.
So I went and checked out the Kindle again.......decided to take the plunge and buy one.

I have only had it a couple of days so I can't say that I love it......yet, but I am sure the convenience and the lightness of it will win me over in the end.

Just as an aside, I fretted that it would not be acceptable to the children(no colour, no pictures).......but Miss Bossy drawers is thrilled with and has spent every evening after school for the last couple of days reading on it......Spindles is interested too!
Old 15-05-2011, 07:46   #56

I am glad you decided to buy one and I am sure you will really enjoy it.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 08:24   #57
God Member

if anyone decides they don't like their kindle, i'll gladly buy it off you
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 12:54   #58
Beacon of light

For the first time in a long while I have enjoyed my bedtime reads........I spent almost an hour and a half reading last night....with no dead arm, no pins and needles in my fingers.......and I am half way through the new Philippa Gregory novel(no matter, I have loaded another three of hers)....so it is proving to be a worthwhile spend.

I still find myself looking in the book section of the charity shops, and I can't say I won't buy another paperback novel.

Shaz there are a couple of cheapish ones on Flea bay.......don't hold out any hope of me selling mine, because Miss Bossy Drawers has her eye on it! She would have it off me in a blink.
Old 15-05-2011, 12:57   #59
God Member

lol, thanx Marg
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:12   #60
Beacon of light

Yep....I'm converted.
I have read a whole load of books(mainly at bedtime, but some on our Saturday ride outs) since mine arrived.
I was also given a couple of disks with books already loaded on them....so I have been browsing my future reading menu(some do need to be converted, but it is a simple trick to do)....not only that but Miss bossy drawers is a great fan of this gadget...and has received one for her 6th birthday today(well she does think she is 16)

Many thanks to those of you who gave your opinions and recommendations.

I really should trust you more....you were right!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..