Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2011, 01:22   #16

Re: Tesco Accrington

What I heard is they are losing a lot more than £40,000-£60,000 p/w...
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2011, 15:59   #17
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
Tesco had a store in Preston , But didn't last very long . They moved out and have never been back . This was a Tesco Metro in the middle of the now city .

I am hoping that there has been no small shops closed due to " tesco " dipping their toe into Yet another town where they are not welcome !
That really surprised me at the time because it was never ever empty. I can only assume that the rent was too high. Come back Owen Owen! (The outline of that sign is still there nearly 30 years on if you take a look).

I personally can't see Asda Accrington having been too badly hit by Tesco as it is always heaving and I haven't seen one iota of difference to customer levels since the new store opened. Price-wise it's a lot better anyway and it's also a dam sight easier to get to although fair play to Tesco because the improvements to the main road have been vast and that is one positive point I don't think many will disagree with.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 16:06   #18
God Member

i dont think prices vary between asda and tesco.I either shop at accy asda or haslingden tesco and my conclusion is that asda may be cheaper on some products but between blatant lying on their shelf labeling and sneaky pricing on other goods you dont actualy save money in the long run it just appears that you have until you look closer.

i will say however that the meat is a lot better quality at tescos especialy chicken

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 16:11   #19
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i dont think prices vary between asda and tesco.I either shop at accy asda or haslingden tesco and my conclusion is that asda may be cheaper on some products but between blatant lying on their shelf labeling and sneaky pricing on other goods you dont actualy save money in the long run it just appears that you have until you look closer.

i will say however that the meat is a lot better quality at tescos especialy chicken
When I met my wife she was a Tesco shopper until we did comparative shops over four weeks. We saved about £30 per week by shopping at Asda due to price differences.

Her argument had always been that you get 'free' vouchers once a month but the most casual inspection demonstrates that you are paying for those all the time. As an example, the wines were around £1 per bottle dearer than Asda for starters.

That was the clinching argument for me.

Old 17-03-2011, 16:19   #20
God Member

ahhh you see i dont buy booze at supermarkets i struggle with the got to look 21 rule

yeah i know

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 16:36   #21

Asda might be cheaper on some items but on the whole Tesco are cheaper for the items I buy and the food is much fresher. In fact when I used to do online Tesco shopping and used My supermarket to process the order, I often found that not only were Tesco the cheapest but for my shopping basket Asda were more expensive than both Tesco and Sainsbury. Also I have always found that the standard of customer service in Tesco was much better than Asda.
Before Ken berates me on my spending habits - I rarely spend over £35 a week in a supermarket so would straggle to save £30 a week. And I don't buy meat in supermarkets and very rarely buy any alcohol either.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 16:50   #22

I guess it depends on what products you buy. My and my partner always shop at Asda, we nipped into tesco whilst in town just to get a few bits for our Thai curry, it was about £5 more expensive in tesco for the same ingredients (different brands of course) needless to say we havn't been back.
Old 17-03-2011, 17:08   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_flights View Post
I guess it depends on what products you buy. My and my partner always shop at Asda, we nipped into tesco whilst in town just to get a few bits for our Thai curry, it was about £5 more expensive in tesco for the same ingredients (different brands of course) needless to say we havn't been back.
Are you sure that was Lemon Grass you bought?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 17:42   #24
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Asda might be cheaper on some items but on the whole Tesco are cheaper for the items I buy and the food is much fresher. In fact when I used to do online Tesco shopping and used My supermarket to process the order, I often found that not only were Tesco the cheapest but for my shopping basket Asda were more expensive than both Tesco and Sainsbury. Also I have always found that the standard of customer service in Tesco was much better than Asda.
Before Ken berates me on my spending habits - I rarely spend over £35 a week in a supermarket so would straggle to save £30 a week. And I don't buy meat in supermarkets and very rarely buy any alcohol either.
I would never presume such a liberty with you, Joan!

Over the years we've cut back on our indulgences, particularly as our overly-comfortable lifestyle was no good for either our waistlines or our bank balance. I now use Accrington Market for the vast majority of my fresh meat which has compensated for the loss of my butcher in Rishton but I'm afraid the wine remains a vice.

Old 17-03-2011, 18:58   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I would never presume such a liberty with you, Joan!

Over the years we've cut back on our indulgences, particularly as our overly-comfortable lifestyle was no good for either our waistlines or our bank balance. I now use Accrington Market for the vast majority of my fresh meat which has compensated for the loss of my butcher in Rishton but I'm afraid the wine remains a vice.
Kenneth, I little of what you fancy does you good
Old 17-03-2011, 21:45   #26
Senior Member+

Like Ken I find meat and veg fresher, tastier on the market. I tend not to buy the tempting extras and processed food as well keeping the food shop healthier and spending less.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 21:53   #27
Senior Member+

Just had a senior manager inform me the rumours are untrue.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 22:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
Tesco had a store in Preston , But didn't last very long . They moved out and have never been back . This was a Tesco Metro in the middle of the now city .

I am hoping that there has been no small shops closed due to " tesco " dipping their toe into Yet another town where they are not welcome !
Preston does a Tesco Metro store on Church Street.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 22:45   #29

I was there for the opening, when the women whos son died in action was invited to cut the ribbons, the reaction of the mayor was awful, he looked really peed off at not being the center of attention, had to be dragged into the photos. It was embarrassing, don't know if the papers picked it up, I dont generally buy the local rag.
Josie Bloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 22:52   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Bloggs View Post
I was there for the opening, when the women whos son died in action was invited to cut the ribbons, the reaction of the mayor was awful, he looked really peed off at not being the center of attention, had to be dragged into the photos. It was embarrassing, don't know if the papers picked it up, I dont generally buy the local rag.
Does not sound very nice that. I am the opposite, I was at an opening of a local play area in Great Harwood and I tried to avoid the photos until Cathy noticed I was hiding

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..