Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: would you shop your child or not
I would shop my own child 38 86.36%
No I would not shop my child 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 18:17   #31
God Member

Re: Would you shop your kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Naturally, yes.

Now who's going to be first to come on here and vote "no" just to stir up a bit of controversy?
Sorry I'm late. The time difference thing; and the fishing is too good to miss But, under no circumstances would I rat out my kids. I'd get them a lawyer, just in case the law came calling. Wait a minute, my daughter is a lawyer But I suppose the question is hypothetical, and deals with young kids, teens maybe. No way, Jose. Family comes first. The question not asked is: "What the hell kind of parent are you if your kids are out on the street rioting"? Probably the kind that would turn their kids over to the cops. A good way to avoid the responsibilities of parenting.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't drop a quarter on my friends either. Rat out the diddlers and other assorted pedophiles, the rapists, the quys that beat up on women, and the ones that abuse animals.

The cops get well paid to bust people. Let them do their job.

Looks like the clouds are clearing up. The fish will be biting soon. Have a nice day
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2011, 18:46   #32
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Yes I would shop my kids, then again, I wouldnt have too, because my kids WOULDN'T dream of doing summat so stupid, why?, cuz I've brought up my kids well, and I'm DAMN PROUD of em both!
Old 11-08-2011, 18:48   #33
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Why misguided, truth is its easy to be part of the crowd and say "Yes I Would" but in the real world it would probably be a different story.

I presume all you good citizens have NEVER bought any goods that have been offered in the pub or under the counter or off a friend on the cheap.
Or as a youngster NEVER did anything that was wrong.
No, you are wrong....I live in the real world and I am from a generation who were brought up to tell the truth and to own up when you have done something wrong.
I have never bought anything from anyone in a pub, or knowingly bought something stolen.( I have bought goods from e-bay ...but I trust traders to be bona fide)

As a youngster I scrumped apples, I scavenged for coal on the railway lines........but there is a vast difference between those things and going out with the express aim of looting, rioting and setting fires.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind what I would do if I found my child had done any of those things...and anyone who knows me, knows that I do what I say.
Most of the problems that beset this country can be traced back to slack parenting...taking the line of least resistance, not setting boundaries.

If you know your offspring has been up to looting etc, and you don't act then you are as guilty as they are....because you give out the message that it is Ok, it doesn't really matter that much...Currys/PC World/Sony...well, they are big companies, they can stand the loss. They will get it all back on the insurance......yes and we, the consumer, ends up paying for it.
Maybe 'misguided' wasn't the right word after all...maybe 'misguided' was too lenient.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 18:53   #34

Quite correct MargP, parents provide the problem.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 18:53   #35
Beacon of light

Oh, and another thing...I have never been the sort of person that follows the crowd. Doing something because 'the crowd' are doing it has never been a great motivational factor for me.
I think for myself and act according to my conscience.
Old 11-08-2011, 18:57   #36
Beacon of light

Thanks Odders.
Old 11-08-2011, 19:07   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Quite correct MargP, parents provide the problem.
Think you should quantify that others to bad parents provide the problem
Old 11-08-2011, 19:08   #38
Senior Member+

Well said Marg, totally agree with you.
There is a piece in the news that a mother has shopped her daughter to the cops, I will see if I can find it and put it up.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:18   #39
Beacon of light

When we were very young, my brother took fourpence from my mothers purse......we hadn't much money anyway, but my mother was determined that he would never do such a thing again......she put his coat on and marched him down to the police station.....he skriked all the way there....she told the desk sergeant what he had done and he was locked up in the cells for a couple of hours...he was read the riot act from a very large stern policeman before he was allowed home.

This was how we were taught about the consequences of our actions...the lessons were live...and they lived with us.

I have only one daughter, but I parented her in the way that I was parented.......Strictly, and with boundaries. She knew who was in charge........ME!
Old 11-08-2011, 19:21   #40
Give, give, give member

The polls curently stands at just under 20% who wouldn't help bring their offspring to justice.

Which neatly mirrors the conclusion that one in five Britons are sadly now scum.

I'm certainly no goody-goody, but I've never bought stuff of the back of a van either.

Crime always has a victim.

Whether it's the public who have to pay for over inflated goods, marked up to cover loss by shoplifting, or the old dear who now lives in terror, after being broken in to, and having her telly nicked.

There's always a victim, and always a cost to other people.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:34   #41
Give, give, give member

The majority of the population lived in poverty in the great depression of the twenties and thirties.

Certainly compared to today.

People didn't riot. They marched.

They muddled along the best they could, in the hope that one day they'd earn enough again to feed and clothe their families.

There was respect.

Self-respect.

Respect for their neighbour, teachers, police. Respect for the very fabric of what made Britain one of the most civilised places in the history of this planet.

Removing the fear of being brought to justice, if you do wrong, is this society's gravest action.

We are living with the consequences of the selfish 'me and mine' generation.

Old 11-08-2011, 19:40   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Yes I would shop my kids, then again, I wouldnt have too, because my kids WOULDN'T dream of doing summat so stupid, why?, cuz I've brought up my kids well, and I'm DAMN PROUD of em both!
Right on. I think that the original question misses, or ignores this: that kids raised by responsible parents wouldn't do stupid things ... well not too many, and none that couldn't be handled at home. So it's really a none question, asked of the wrong people.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:47   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Right on. I think that the original question misses, or ignores this: that kids raised by responsible parents wouldn't do stupid things ... well not too many, and none that couldn't be handled at home. So it's really a none question, asked of the wrong people.
I bet a great deal of those arrested think their little darlings wouldn't have done it.

The question is hypothetical.

A yes, or no.

Old 11-08-2011, 19:49   #44
Give, give, give member

To me it's as simple as explaining to children that cheating at snakes and ladders, or whatever, is wrong.

Old 11-08-2011, 19:56   #45
Give, give, give member

I'd like to broaden the question, to those who voted that they wouldn't bring their child to justice, after they'd been involved in riots and looting.

If you found out a close family member, perhaps your offsping, was sexually abusing a child, would you similarly help them avoid the law of the land, and them paying for their crimes?

Last edited by garinda; 11-08-2011 at 19:59.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..